Fishing at Sea Rim 14 December 06

TrailShoe

Fishing at Sea Rim 14 December 06

Post by TrailShoe »

Met up with BigFost, Gone Yakin and Mythman this morning for a little BTB fishing. Fog was thick, but just about time we started out fog lifted some. After about an hour on water fog returned and stayed with us tell we left. Anyway we all caught some fish, but I only got pictures of Mythmans 41" and 42" reds. Notice the difference in fog between to fish pictures.
TS

Gone Yakin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gone Yakin »

It was windy, cold, foggy and wet. 10x's better than any day at work :D

Gotta find that hole in the butt of my waders :?

Always a pleasure to fish with you guys.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I took the trip to Sea Rim to fish with some Golden Triangle fishermen and it was great fishing with old friends. Today was suppose to be no wind and sunny with warm weather......Not!

We paddled out in the fog and it cleared for about an hour, then the fog set back in. Here is a pic of Trailshoe who is only about 30 yds from me!

We did catch some fish and it is sad when you catch fish this size and say it was a slow day. But we were expecting to catch more.

Trailshoe gets hooked up!

He finally gets him in and it is a nice fish!!! (Sorry for the pic quality but the fog was very heavy by this time)

All reds were caught on cut whiting and we were only about 100-250 yds. offshore. No runs on crabs. I had probably 4 runs and two fish.

I had a good time and enjoyed fishing with BigFost, Trailshoe and Gone Yakin.
Gordo-wannafish

Post by Gordo-wannafish »

That's a nice fish!!! Coulda got a ride from him eh?

I got to play in the fog too. Left the county park bound for Titlum-tatlum...paddling by faith, coundn't see a thing! I spent most of the day in the sun, but when I headed back after a trip around Moody's Island sure enough it was socked in solid :roll: Annother paddle across Cold pass not seeing either side.

But you had LOTS better luck!!!
Jdominguez8541

Post by Jdominguez8541 »

NiiiiiiCE REEEEEDSS .//... BUT where is BTB ////........Where ya'll fishing the bottom............
Jdominguez8541

Post by Jdominguez8541 »

NiiiiiiCE REEEEEDSS .//... BUT where is BTB ////........Where ya'll fishing the bottom............
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

donjuan8541,

"BTB" stands for........"Beyond The Breakers".
Gone Yakin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gone Yakin »

donjuan8541 wrote:NiiiiiiCE REEEEEDSS .//... BUT where is BTB ////........Where ya'll fishing the bottom............

Do you studder when you talk :lol:
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

Congrats on the Bulls guys wish I could have joined you.
Is that BigFost with a new FnD congrats good choice.
Fog looks spooky when you loose sight of land.
All it takes is a sleigh ride to get turned around.
But I know you guys had compass and GPS with you.
Mike I hope you dressed warmer today.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

Steve,
We had GPS, but didn't really have to use as we could hear the breakers while we were out. Didn't take any sleigh rides as the swells and chop was enough that we decided to stay anchored and fight the fish.........made for very interesting catches (fish under each others yaks, fish in the anchor lines and etc, etc.

Actually it wasn't that cold. When we had the hour of sun, I actually took my jacket off and fished in just a shirt on top. But when the fog really got thick and the wind picked up, it was back to the jacket. Feet never got cold, even hanging them in the water frequently.

We should have taken advantage of Tue and Weds. weather. I understand now that we are going to have the fog all weekend.
Mrz_Tarpon_Tamer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Mrz_Tarpon_Tamer »

You guys are seriously HARDCORE. Tarpon_Tamer and I braved the fog at night but on a pier. We were discussing how eerie that would be to do in a yak. ANd that you might get yourself confused as to where land is and things of that nature. Way to go guys! That is a heckuva bull red ya got there! Great report and EXCELLENT pics.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

donjuan8541 wrote:NiiiiiiCE REEEEEDSS .//... BUT where is BTB ////........Where ya'll fishing the bottom............

Donjuan,
We were fishing offshore in the Gulf, 100-250 yards and fishing on the bottom with live bait. When fishing for bull reds, that is where you usually find them. It is better to use heaver rods and reels, than inshore equipment as you never know what exactly you may catch.....large bull red, shark, etc.

Don't know where you are located but should you be interested in learning to fish offshore all us offshore fishermen are always happy to share spots, techniques and know how.......of course fish stories goes with it.

Hope this helps!
SafetyHooker
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: Phoenix, AZ <'))))>°{ RGV, Arroyo City. Make it a Great day!

Post by SafetyHooker »

Those are some SWEET REDS guys ! Awesome job !
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

After sitting BTB without a bite for a couple of hours, I decided to come back to the beach and try some surf fishing. At first, it seemed like it might have been the right move. Within about 30 minutes, I had the first fish on.

Unfortunately, that was also to be my last fish. I couldn't even lose a bait. Everytime I checked my crab or whiting baits, they looked as good as when they went out. We all tried our various methods until around 3:00, then packed it in.

And, yes FlaFish, that's me in my new FnD. I picked it up about a month ago, but this was my first chance to fish it BTB.

In his post, Northpaw said they had trouble catching bait at HI, but we didn't have that problem at McFaddin. Both Gone Yakin and I kept bait rods out quite a bit and caught several whiting, one croaker, one stingray and even a small red. He was using shrimp and I was using Fish Bites.
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

Gone Yakin wrote:
Gotta find that hole in the butt of my waders :?

My waders leak too (only a little bit but enough to be annoying, especially on a cold day). After researching several techniques on how to find the leaks (fill them with air and hold them under water, spray with alcohol, flashlight, etc.), I found an alternative option that has worked fine in my situation.

Academy has cheap, 'vinyl' chest waders for about $6. I slip those on before I put on my neoprenes. Water still leaks in to my neoprenes, but I stay dry as a bone. The price was right for the results that I got.
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

Great pics and report guys. Looks like a whole lotta fun, fog and all. I especially like the pic of the kayaks all lined up on the beach like sprinters in starting positions.

I would sure try to have my all-around white light on while operating in restricted visibility. As the instructor told us in captains license school, "It may not save your life but it may make it easier for your survivors to collect if you got run over" :wink:.

Kim
Assault the Salt

Post by Assault the Salt »

Nice pics, especially the one in the fog with your rod bowed over....