Baytown revisited

Assault the Salt

Baytown revisited

Post by Assault the Salt »

JBH1979 and I hit the water about 1000am and had 2 limits by 2pm. Fish were finiky, would only hit one bait, the only way to describe it is a "wacky shrimp" in clear gold flake. JBH had em and gave me a couple and it was on. Fish ranged from 16-20inches. More info later. My limit is the first one and JBH is holding his. The specs wouldnt slam the bait, all you would feel is pressure, bam set the hook and fish on..... Left them biting.
Attachments
JBH1979.jpg
JBH1979.jpg (21.52 KiB) Viewed 7423 times
Yellow mouth.jpg
Limit.jpg
JBH1979

Post by JBH1979 »

our pics

another fun day on the water Danny boy! Those trout were picky yesterday. The lure is made by Bay Side lure company. Heres a pic of the one we were throwing. We were using 1/8 oz jig heads (white) bounced off the bottom.

Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

Nice stringers!
Ya'll PM me next time you guys wanna go. If you don't mind the company
Justin_Time
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Justin_Time »

Sweet pics fellas. That's not right to catch a limit on a weekday while your buddy sits at work... :lol: Way to go!
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

JBH1979,

I, like others on here, love seeing the pictures that get posted to this site. Thanks for that, but thanks also for showing the specific bait, the color of the bait and what size jighead you used. It's details like this I really appreciate.
JBH1979

Post by JBH1979 »

Anytime Nightwing! Its days like yesterday that make fishing so fun. I'm glad to see you like the details, most people only want to know where, where, where, when they should be asking how, when, why....

Yesterday was almost frustrating! We fished for about 1 1/2 hrs before we caught our first fish. Just last week, they would only hit a coffee colored bass assasin with a green paddle tail. For whatever reason their taste changed and this was the only bait they would sniff at. I threw probably a dozen different color patterns before I broke the seal on that bag of bay side shrimp, and it made a two limit difference.

One aspect I need to work on is to adapt to the fish instead of trying to get the fish to adapt to what I have to give them as bait. I have about 3 different go to baits and sometimes I find myself with an empty stringer because I am too stubborn to adjust color patterns. I keep telling myself, I caught fish on these last week so they should hit this same one today, and it usually turns out that the fish's taste has changed due to a variety of reasons. Determination and variety was the key to yesterday's catch!
SafetyHooker
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: Phoenix, AZ <'))))>°{ RGV, Arroyo City. Make it a Great day!

Post by SafetyHooker »

That is some nice fish guys good haul.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

JBH1979,

I know what you mean when you say you have to change baits and colors sometime. I went to Rollover one Saturday and I was armed with two fishing poles, baited with 3" curly tail grubs. One grub was white, the other chartruese. I caught 5 keeper flounder that day....all on the white grub and nada on the chartruese grub. Went back to Rollover the next day, Sunday.....and I couldn't get a bite on the white grub, but when I switched to the chartruese grub, I caught 6 legal sized flounder. What produces one day, sometimes doesn't produce the next day. The grubs were identical except for color.
browndog

Post by browndog »

One aspect I need to work on is to adapt to the fish instead of trying to get the fish to adapt to what I have to give them as bait.

JBH1979, I'm with you on that. I tend to use the same lure that worked last time I was out. I'm still a rook at lures and starting to slowly narrow down what works for me.

One major thing I'm trying to find info on is, what color of lure to use in the particular color of water given that day??? Does anyone know a website, or have some insight on lure color in the water your fishing? Or is it just about presentation and use what the fish are feeding on?

Oh, by the way, Congrats to the both of you the fine catch!!!
JBH1979

Post by JBH1979 »

Clear Water = Natural colored baits
Stained Water = Bright Colored Baits (prefered with scent)
Stained Water = also try dark colored lures
browndog

Post by browndog »

Much appreciated! That's easy to remember. Thank you.

I just bought some carolina lunker sauce for scent. Never tried it. Have you heard anything good from it by chance?
Assault the Salt

JBH was using scent, but I wasnt, I dont think it made too much differnce. I didnt hurt.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

JBH, when are we going to get out and catch some fish? I'm still waiting to hear back from Steve and Woodey about your rudders, I placed another call on Friday, but will have to wait until Monday to get an answer. BTW if you were looking to head down south I will be there next Tues.-Thurs. and also the 2-4 of Jan. if you want to meet up just let me know.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
TXTomboy

Post by TXTomboy »

Good job guys, wish I could have joined you, next time hopefully. :roll:
Assault the Salt

TXTomboy wrote:Good job guys, wish I could have joined you, next time hopefully. :roll:

I thought u were tagging along on this one.....
JBH1979

Post by JBH1979 »

Assault the Salt wrote:
TXTomboy wrote:Good job guys, wish I could have joined you, next time hopefully. :roll:

I thought u were tagging along on this one.....

she wussed out on us! I guess we scared her or something! :lol:
Justin_Time
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Justin_Time »

You better watch out boys, TXTomboy is going to catch the biggest Trout of the day again... Hey TXTomboy, you thought about fishing the upcoming S&S tourney?
TXTomboy

Post by TXTomboy »

I really wanted too!! Hopefully we can do some fishin on Friday :lol: S&S tourney?? :?:
Crank-B8
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crank-B8 »

browndog wrote:Much appreciated! That's easy to remember. Thank you.

I just bought some carolina lunker sauce for scent. Never tried it. Have you heard anything good from it by chance?

JBH covered the basic rules regarding plastics. Although, if you talk to 20 different anglers it's very likely you'll get 20 different answers.

Above all, I think confidence is the best color out there. :lol:

And the Lunker Sauce gets two thumbs up from me. Good stuff.