Water entry in cold weather

Wichita Ace

Water entry in cold weather

Post by Wichita Ace »

What is the best way to board your Yak into deep water from the bank? I just got a place on the Guadalupe river up in Hunt Tx. Would like to river winter fish but dont want to freeze um off.All the frontage I have is in 8 to 10 foot of water and grass bank with a slight to 2 ft drop to the water. :idea:
tarpy kayak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by tarpy kayak »

Make a small floating raft(dock) and secure it to the bank. Slide the yak in, step down to the dock and enter. Best idea I have for ya :roll:
FishinAddict22

Post by FishinAddict22 »

Alrite, i have a 3 step solution and a one step solution. Listen carefully, or read carefully, w/e.

1) place kayak on ground next to the bank

2) sit in kayak on the ground next to the bank

3) fish from bank and pretend ur in the water

Now the one step solution

1) suck it up and hope for the best

lol those are the only things i can think of right now.

Theres humor in everything.
kiyu

Post by kiyu »

Get yourself a pair of waders, then do a normal entry. Neoprene are the best for this time of the year. You need them in case you get dumped in cold water, will keep you from getting hypothermia.
Hookem
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Hookem »

run and jump....never fails 8)
8w8

Post by 8w8 »

Wichita, We had so much trouble launching off of our dock (sometimes 4 or 5 feet down to the water) that I bolted two sets of pre-made stair stringers together and extended the top step about 24 inches to the right of where we walk down to the water. On to this top step I bolted two 5/8th L-bolts as axels so that a self centering boat trailer roller just cleared the step and rolled freely. Now all we do to launch is place the bow of the kayak on the roller, grab the stern handle and walk the kayak down into the water. The steps are large enough to swing the kayak along side whichever step is at water level and from a sitting position on the step we just slide on over.
The only thing that surprised us more than how easy it was to launch was how easy it is now to pull the yaks out of the water. Just paddle up along side the steps, slide out on to the lowest one that is above water, slide the kayak back so you can grab the bow handle and walk up the stairs letting the stern of the kayak float/pivot in the water until you can rest the bow on the roller. Keep pulling the kayak up onto the roller and at about 7 feet in from the dock (for our T140s) the kayak reaches its balance point and gently tips down. Maybe some variation on this theme would work on your bank. Depending on the direction of the current it might be best to have the roller on the left. I know that the Guad sometimes will wipe out anything on the shore but the most expensive thing in this set up is the roller ($18 at Academy).Good Luck
Attachments
stair_roller_web.jpg
Twex

Post by Twex »

long ladder, place rollers on all the rungs, lay ladder half in water & half on land, put yak on rollers, jump in the yak & rock n roll :)

You could probably add a rope to pull yourself & yak back up the rollers after fishing.

On the other hand, would it be legal to dig a small 3 to 5' wide 10' long bay? then either gently slope the sides, or put in steps?
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

I have some unasked for advice for you. make sure you are entering Pubic water in that area of the G-loopie River.

Back in 1970 a friend and I were fishing a place like you descirbe and low and behold I was looking up at a 12 guage with the owner telling, not asking me to get off private property.

My friend and I then preceeded to go to the court house in Kerr county to see where the public water started. We were above the area where public water started.

We have gained access from a low water crossing and stayed in the river bed all the time, but none of the river was public.

I know you did not aske for this advice, but I would check to make sure the area is public.
TrailShoe

Entering Kayak

Post by TrailShoe »

You stated that you had a slight to 2 foot drop to water, with water about 10-12 ft deep at shore line. My suggestion is to enter at the slight area. Loading yak with fishing gear etc. will be the most difficult unless you load before sliding down bank. Any possibility of putting some kind of floating dock will help. Usually it is easier to enter a yak when standing next to it in about 1-2 ft of water. Just kind of side saddle and get in. I guess if you could sit on ground next to yak and pull or plop yourself in could work also. If you had some trees overhanging water you could also just lower yourself into yak. This is getting to complicated for a fishing trip. Maybe just get yourself a dry suit and just jump in water and enter yak. You could call it winter re-entry practice. Starting to sound like a winter survival course???
TS
SafetyHooker
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: Phoenix, AZ <'))))>°{ RGV, Arroyo City. Make it a Great day!

Post by SafetyHooker »

Jump in.
Cyber Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Cyber Yak »

FishinAddict22 wrote:Alrite, i have a 3 step solution and a one step solution. Listen carefully, or read carefully, w/e.

1) place kayak on ground next to the bank

2) sit in kayak on the ground next to the bank

3) fish from bank and pretend ur in the water

Now the one step solution

1) suck it up and hope for the best

lol those are the only things i can think of right now.

Theres humor in everything.

LMAO

:lol: :lol: :lol:
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

For launching off the bank I put half (maybe more) of the kayak in the water backwards, Then lay my gear next to me, get on the kayak, load my gear and finally, push off with your paddle. As you push off nudge yourself up against the back rest and give a little wiggle :) The wiggle is the key. I used to do it this way when I had my sit ins. Hope this helps!