Hundreds of pounds of Redfish

Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Hundreds of pounds of Redfish

Post by Jolly Roger »

Enjoyed Thanksgiving hunting at the deer lease, but a almost a month without fishing was starting to get to me. So saturday I hit the beach at sunup in High Island. Met up with a few friends that had camped over night. The bait stores had no good bait, so was going to have to make my own. Whitting were easy to catch on dead shrimp, also got a few silver perch and a few puppy drum up to 30". Lot of fun to start the morning with the bait rod. As temps started to rise and I had enough bait to make it through the day. We paddled offshore in the kayaks after a few sleigh rides. Did not take long for the bull reds to heat up and get hungry. Nonneck was in his new Fish N Dive and broke it in right.

Noneck hooked up

Noneck with the first of many big bull reds from the FnD

The action was good with most of the kayak anglers landing a few bull reds each. Did not take long for me and Trailshoe to get in on the action also .

Trailshoe with a bull red

Jolly Roger with a bull red

After getting a few bull red each from the kayak we headed back to the ebach to enjoy some surf fishing. The bull reds were starting to hit the casted biats. Once on the beach it did not take long for me to be rewarded with a big bull red from a casted bait.

Jolly Roger with a bull red

The action on the beach picked up staedy and most everyone were catching bull reds on casted baits. Fresh cut bait was working best, but a few reds did hit frozen. Mullet was the bait of choice, with whitting coming in a close second. Fresh crabs was also working well. Lot of bull reds caught during the day. Here are a few pics of the catches

HWK hooked up

HWK with a bull red

SUNDAY 11/26/06

Sunday conditions were not as good as saturday with a stiff ENE wind. The surf was chopped up. Not much bait in the surf, but could catch a few whitting on shrimp or fishbites. I got the first rods casted out around eight and the waiting game started. The action was slow all morning, only Josh caught a Big Ugly before lunch. Around lunch someone turned the switch on, and the red began to feed. Most any bait cast over the first sandbar resulted in a bull red. Few double hook ups and lot of bull reds hitting the sand in a few hours. Fishing slowed around two, by this time most of us had slowed also. Few random pics of te day

Neverenough with a Big Ugly

Mythman with a monster bull red

Galvbay with a bull red

Was a perfect weekend to do some kayak and surf fihing. Conditions, temps and wind were all good. We also caught a few fish. Once again I had a great time on the beach with friends. Looking foward to the TOBA tournament on December 9th, should be a very fun time.

My favorite pic of the weekend, love good beach fires.
Fish Aholic

Post by Fish Aholic »

Great report as usual! I need to go.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

TJ,

Your reports are always good reading even if you don't catch anything, which I'm glad to say, doesn't happen very much. The pictures as always are an added bonus. Loved the mini-bonfire one. :D
Last edited by Night Wing on Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone Yakin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gone Yakin »

Had a good time Saturday morning. Met Justin in Winnie for some breakfast burritos and then hit up the bait store in High Island for some frozen mullet. Did not bring the kayaks due to lack of space and cold weather gear but thanks to Justin had 7 rods out pretty early. First fish hooked up pretty soon and my wife (Mrs. Gone Yakin) fought with the 12 AR rod butt down past her knees. After a hell of a battle she landed the biggest bull red I've seen to date. Granted I haven't been beach fishing long but at 45 inches and 36lbs, it was a monster to us. 3 more bull reds caught between me, Justin and the wife until we had to leave around 3pm. Thanks to Justin for his effort to make sure she caught her first beach fish and bull red. Can't wait to hit the beach again. Will get pics up as soon as I get them.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Went to High Island planning on btb yak fishing, but the wind had made the surf and water, not enjoyable. It could have been yak fished, but it would have been a challenge. So I surf fished for the first time. Pulled in a large bull red on Jolly Roger’s rig (he was away socializing) and one slot red. Jolly Roger was hooking slot reds on his bait catching rig in the surf. So I put some finger mullet left over from a flounder trip to SWP and I did catch a 25” red in the first gut.

Never took the yak off the car top, just relaxed in an easy chair and enjoyed the fishing and the day.\

Next time, I will be more prepared with the right tackle.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

Glad to see that NONECKS FND worked well for him, nice reds all around and looks like ya'll had some great conditions, Jolly Roger you need to come on by the shop so we can meet, I want to find some people in the Houston area to fish with.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
Hec fish

Post by Hec fish »

Monster fish.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

More Pics from Sunday surf fishing

Post by Mythman »

Jolly Roger with slot red caught on bait catching rig

Justindfish with bull red!

Even the kids got invoved!

Jolly Roger hooked up

Jolly Roger with bull red

TrailShoe

Fishing High Island BTB

Post by TrailShoe »

Looks like surf was not as friendly on Sunday as Saturday. Good posts and pictures from the weekend. I always enjoy seeing people catching fish. I will see all on the 9th at the next big event. Hope the weather cooperates.
TS
Noneck

Post by Noneck »

good pics and report. looks like i left too soon but i will have my surf rod with me next time. glad to see so many caught good fish. folks, when jolly rodger says the fish will be there you need to be there im starting to get additded
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

What baits were used to catch the slot reds? Was it artificial or cut bait?
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

NW,
I believe Jolly Roger was using a sabiki type rig with soft plastics or jigs and I was using frozen finger mullet, which was left over from a previous flounder trip.
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

Great report and pics, JR. Looks like everyones spools got tightly packed :D.

I really love the campfire pic.

Kim
davewave12

Post by davewave12 »

WOW! Do you guys ever NOT catch a ton of Bull Reds?? I am very impressed with the endless success y'all have and must admit to being just wee bit envious, well I'm off to post my latest Mangrove snapper (again) report.
northpaw
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by northpaw »

Great report. I gotta get some venison in the freezer so I can get back to that surf!!! :shock:
altonr77

Post by altonr77 »

we got a late start and was headed ure way but was dissapointed when we saw the wind and waves. they were worse than I thought they'd be. we turned around and went tween the peirs and lobed a couple of baits in the first gut. I kayaked one out for the hell of it and managed to put a great big horseshoe in the line. caught only one and came home early. if i knew so many of u stuck it out we'da made it youre way.
Attachments
nov26red.JPG
TrailShoe

Bait for bull reds

Post by TrailShoe »

Night Wing wrote:What baits were used to catch the slot reds? Was it artificial or cut bait?

I was using crabs, mullet, and cigar minnows to catch bull reds. I caught more on crabs that anything else.
TS
rod holder

Post by rod holder »

Looks like a fabulous Thanksgiving weekend to me. I'll get to go fishing again one of these days :) . Leave a few for me..., ok? :wink:
topdog15

Post by topdog15 »

what a way to spend the holiday
TheBert

Post by TheBert »

Great pics...its been about a month for me too, and i am getting anxious to go on a few sleigh rides soon. Thanks for sharing everyone.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Great time! Gives you something to be thankful for!

It's been a few weeks for me here and I'm starting to get the urge to pickup a few Bulls from the surf.

WM
Gone Yakin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gone Yakin »

Well finally got some pics of that weekend. First of many for my wife (Mrs. Gone Yakin). She's already in bed so I'll post her first fish from the beach and first bull red. It was the biggest I've seen (haven't been coastal fishing long), right at 44 inches and a broad 36 lbs.
Attachments
Finally the bigun
Finally the bigun
Rod butt's a little long
Rod butt's a little long
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

Gone Yakin wrote:Well finally got some pics of that weekend. First of many for my wife (Mrs. Gone Yakin). She's already in bed so I'll post her first fish from the beach and first bull red. It was the biggest I've seen (haven't been coastal fishing long), right at 44 inches and a broad 36 lbs.

Congrats to the wife that Red was huge. I am sure it wore her out.
Can't wait for this Sat. Sleigh Rides here we come YeHaaaaa :lol: :D :lol:
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

Gone Yakin wrote:Well finally got some pics of that weekend. First of many for my wife (Mrs. Gone Yakin). She's already in bed so I'll post her first fish from the beach and first bull red. It was the biggest I've seen (haven't been coastal fishing long), right at 44 inches and a broad 36 lbs.

Congrats to the wife for her fish.......what a way to start fishing offshore.

Is she hooked yet??
Noneck

Post by Noneck »

man ,that fish is as big as she is. turning into quite a fisherwoman. way to go