a) REDFISH
14%
b) TROUT
16%
c) FLOUNDER
51%
d) SNOOK
5%
e) OTHER (Black Drum, Tarpon, Bonefish, Etc.)
14%

Total votes: 63

CRAWDADDY

What fish gives you the most trouble?

Post by CRAWDADDY »

Just wanted to ask what fish, you anglers have the hardest time with, in your whole fishing history. For me, I have cursed more Flounder than any other fish. I have lost them at the yak, in my hands, in my net, from pier decks, etc. My heart pumps for big Trout, but Flounder just get me cross-eyed sometimes.
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

I'd have to go with Flounder. I've never caught one on purpose.
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

I had to vote redfish because I still haven't caught one on the fly rod. But, my day's coming and I'm not giving up!
Play2Win
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Play2Win »

I voted trout but have problems catching everything except hardheads.
GHSmacker

Post by GHSmacker »

No doubt it's the flounder for me.

I probably haven't caught a flounder in about 2 years or so. I use to catch them much more frequently, but now for some reason i couldn't catch one if my life depended on it.
beachbum011

Post by beachbum011 »

I have never gone out and said I am going to catch a Flounder and then been able to do so. And to add salt to the wound I have never caught a keeper Flounder. Why I just admitted that I will never know. :?

beachbum011
beachbum011

Post by beachbum011 »

I have never gone out and said I am going to catch a Flounder and then been able to do so. And to add salt to the wound I have never caught a keeper Flounder. Why I just admitted that I will never know. :?

beachbum011
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

For me, it's a speckled trout. They have soft mouths and when I usually get a trout close enough to net, the hook has made a very large hole and sometimes, if there is just a little slack in the line, the hook comes out of the fish's mouth.....especially if it jumps at that time when I'm about to net it.
Windknot Flies

Post by Windknot Flies »

Depends on what you call trouble. Skip Jacks have spooked more schools of reds for me than I can count. I've been throwing flies at reds when from out of nowhere a skip jack slams it and *poof* there goes every red in the immediate vicinity. Skips have also spooked reds my friends have been cast to. Perfect example was last week. I had two buddies casting to two separate schools of reds when a huge skip jack decided to eat my fly and shoot straight through the two schools my friends were stalking......I would consider THAT trouble.

Harris
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

Well, upon further consideration, I'd have to say blacktip sharks are the biggest pain in the a$$ for me. They'll do just about everything to screw me up.

1. They'll eat a bait and immediately head offshore before you can get tight to them. This is why you miss so many of them on circle hooks.

2. They're so fast that even with 6.3:1 gears you'll be lucky to keep up with them as they're running and jumping before they break you off.

3. I put a lot of heat on a big fish in the beginning of the fight. And I've had big blacktips straighten out hooks and 100lb snap swivels!

4. Then you get one to the boat and then they really become a big pain in the butt to deal with.

I even had one nail the yak with his tail and knock a locked hatch cover off the boat and a sandal off my foot! :shock: They'll tear up tackle and gear more than any other species we can catch around here - with the possible exception of a poon.
theduck
Location: ARANSAS PASS, TX - A little chunk of paradise fifteen minutes from the Port A Ferry Landing

Post by theduck »

Hey you guys, I think the question should read -
"which fish gives you the most fun or the biggest challenge" !!!!

I'll take this kind of 'trouble' any day !!! :roll: :lol: 8)
northpaw
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by northpaw »

Parrothead wrote: They'll tear up tackle and gear more than any other species we can catch around here - with the possible exception of a poon.

ummmmm, I'll second that tearing up tackle part :oops: :roll:
Jerry23

Post by Jerry23 »

I guess trout cause of there soft mouths. Beins that i bass fish more than saltwater i get in that wicked fast hard hook settin 'mode', Takes half a mornin of tellin myself to take it easy on em before i get readjusted in my head.
Troutless
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Troutless »

I would say Flounder! I target trout, and just started last fall chasing tailing red's. The flounder I catch are accidential catches.

Monty
shizzle123

Post by shizzle123 »

I can catch bull reds all day in the surf, but can't catch a slot red to save my life. I've found 'em tailing, but didn't have the right lure apparently. But I've gotten that straightened out now......hopefully.

jacob
shizzle123

Post by shizzle123 »

:twisted:
Last edited by shizzle123 on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
saltwater_therapy

trouble

Post by saltwater_therapy »

1. Redfish can get a little spooky sometimes up shallow, but when you find those big schools they can give you hours of hard pulls. When you have one of those rubber lipped suckers hooked they usually wont throw the hook. You can never go wrong with a gold spoon

2 Trout can be very picky and winter time bites are sometimes very subtle. When they are feeding hard though I'd have to say they are my favorite to catch. The are pretty good at throwing a hook, even a face full of trebles on a topwater.

3 Flounder are masters of turning you into a catch and release fisherman
but as for catching them I've got a little spot for the fall run where catching limits in a few hours is like shooting fish in a barrel.

4. Never seen a snook here in my neck of the woods (matagorda bay system)

5. Sheephead have a hard time turning down a hermit crab cracked from his shell under a cork around the jetties or a live shrimp next to pier pilings.

6 black drum love a peeled dead shrimp or a cracked blue crab and are easy to find almost anywhere.

7. Sharks, I mean big ones 6' + are the hardest fish for me to land. I can hook several in a day surf fishing or from a boat but I break off about 60% of the time. anyone with tips on landing these big guys please post them on here sometime.
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

Flounder is the fish that I catch least often, but that is because I usually catch one while fishing for reds. But trout have got me baffled. I just haven't figured out their habits yet. Sure, every now and then I can run into a school, or find them under the lights, but they elude me most of the time.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

With out a doubt.....PERMIT! I've never cought one on a fly rod. They laugh at my flys...or my presentation...or my casting.....or me, as they scoot away at about 100 mph accross the flats. But I'm going to keep trying.
Ace of Bass

Post by Ace of Bass »

bass
Tarpon Tamer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Tarpon Tamer »

Magic release flounder...
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Trout are the craftiest fighters, jumping splashing running, stalling, swimming straight at you, going between your legs and then there's that soft mouth. Whereas reds can bury you in the grass or break you off in the shell, they otherwise only have power to evade capture.

For these reasons, trout gives me the most "trouble" which, in my book, makes them the most fun and challenging to catch.
condi

Post by condi »

JELLYFISH :x :x :x
sitewader
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by sitewader »

That would be live croaker. 8)