TX Hill Country - April 20th, 2024

Neumie
Site Admin

TX Hill Country - April 20th, 2024

Post by Neumie »

I got out yesterday to fish the TX Hill Country. It was supposed to be a kayak trip, but with the weather moving into the area I didn't want to chance getting stuck far from the launch with a thunderstorm barreling in; so wade fishing was in order.

I gut out around 9 am and hit my first spot with the Phillipson Fly Fox. Spooked some good bass right off the bat as I waded into the stream. I started with a frog topwater, but the fish were shying away from it. Put on the all the powerful olive wooly bugger, and started to catch fish.
This first stretch produced three bass over three pounds.

A second bass following the hooked one, hoping it'll spit out whatever is in it's mouth.

Of course I caught plenty of sunfish with the bass. The catfish were skittish and decided to not partake in the fun.

Around 11 am, my sister joined me and went to another stretch of the river. She was using conventional spinning gear. I let her take the lead and "guided" her through this stretch so she could have first shot at the fish. She quickly hooked up with a nice bass.

We waded a good ways upstream until we hit a stretch we couldn't wade through. My sister hooked up with a giant bass, had to be 7 to 8 lbs on a senko type lure. It ended up breaking her off. Next fish was a solid 3 to 4 lbs bass, which again broke her off. I'm thinking I need new line on that reel.....or something a touch heavier than 6 lbs. Anyways, she caught a good 2 lber and long with some other bass. I managed some sunfish and small bass in this stretch.

Anyways, it was good day on the water fishing with my sister with some beautiful scenery. Glad to see the rivers with OK'ish flow this spring, but we still a lot more to replenish the aquifers.

TexasJim

Re: TX Hill Country - April 20th, 2024

Post by TexasJim »

Great report, Josh. I've been wondering if you and Nina or others have been fishing the rivers and lakes this Spring. Fishing in the Coastal Bend has been spotty, due to mostly windy days, but me and my neighbors have been mostly catching shorts, when we can get out. TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Heck of a trip - I'm jealous.
The weather yesterday turned out a lot better than the prediction, though the wind came on strong late.
Very nice hill country bass.
Thanks for the report.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

That looks beautiful. I didn't know such places existed in TX. I guess I need to get further away from Houston.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Yep Neumi, sat the 20th was an epic day for fishing here in the hill country!
Couldn't keep the fish off my hook. I scored my PB of the year in a foot of water with a senko. 24" long, 15" girth, #7.68 LM bass on my honey hole in the Guadalupe river. Was catching 12-14"ers every 3rd cast or so till I landed this one.

This is the area, absolutely beautiful! downstream to the left is lilly pads in a foot of water or so...that was my happy hunting grounds