Estes Flats - November 5, 2021

Neumie
Site Admin

Estes Flats - November 5, 2021

Post by Neumie »

The group pulled into Palm Harbor RV and we all launched right at sunrise.

As usual we all paddled to the point of Talley Island and then made the turn north to Trout Bayou. We all kind of split from there. Some went and waded Trout Bayou, some drifted down Talley Island, and I drifted down the back side of Traylor.

I caught a few small reds before I decided to paddle up to Trout Bayou to see had others done. Ron had built a custom baitcasting setup for tossing ultralight (think 3 grams) lures and landed a small red.

While I was taking a break Trout Bayou I took a look and was glad to see the mangroves starting to come back after the devastating freeze in February.

I started to drift again along the backside of Traylor past Little Cut on working towards Big Cut. I landed some small reds.

After a relatively uneventful float I paddled over to Talley to see how my sister was doing and found her hooked up with a nice red.

Ron finished the day a keeper reds and numerous undersized. Lou finished with a solid stringer consisting of limit of reds and two keeper trout (although he released the 26" trout he caught). William had a keeper trout, as did I. My sister had two reds on her stringer. Whit also finished with a limit of reds.

After cleaning fish and showers we broke our dinner tradition and went to 495 Chesapeake Eats for their excellent menu and superb bourbon and scotch list. If you've never been it's worth the splurge every now and then. Finished the evening with a fire, cigars, and beer.

Meteorological Observations
Time: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Air Temp: 53°F - 63°F
Wind: 6-12 kn NNW to NNE (gusting to 16 kn)
Barometric Pressure: 1024 mb (rising then falling)
Sky: Mostly Sunny
Water Clarity: 0 - 2 Ft
Water Temp: 72°F
Structure: Grass and sand potholes

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 7:50 am/6:44 pm
Moonrise/set: 8:39 am/7:35 pm
Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent (0.2%)

Predicted Tides @ Port Aransas (MLLW)
High @ 1:56 am (0.93 ft)
Low @ 9:42 am (-0.14 ft)
High @ 6:04 pm (1.13 ft)

Lures
Silver Mullet Spook Jr.
Bone Diamond GrassWalker
Chrome/Blue Footloose

Fish
Reds: 8 Keepers, numerous unders
Trout: 4 Keepers, some unders

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Estes Flats - November 5, 2021

Post by Ron Mc »

Friday was fishing our old friend Estes Flats and Trout Bayou on a NNE.
The incoming tide should stack fish at the inside of the passes to Aransas Bay, and the wind is a perfect drift down the length of Trout Bayou.
As always, Lou's the first one paddling, but we got him back to the beach for a group photo.

We were off like a herd of turtles for our 3-mile paddle, and the sun was already up - to the right is Sandy Point - when we get there, that's the first mile.

Lou, Josh, William and I each spent a little time wading the hardpack beach at Trout Bayou cut.
Rat reds were stacked at the corner of Traylor Is., right where they ought to be, and I got my first redfish on my UL baitcaster. Even with a first rat it was about as much fun as a fly rod red.

The real day, was drifting Trout Bayou, and everyone found nice fish, especially big trout - Josh brought home a 21"
My day was five 18-19" reds, of course several small rats, though I did get a 22" to fillet.

This beautiful hardpack beach on Talley Is., we call Lunch Beach - that's Lou drifting by

Lou released a beautiful 26" sow trout to keep breeding little trout in Trout Bayou - his lifetime best

the photo from Lou's phone.

Lou and I were back first to Palm Harbor, and filleted our fish there

I got photos of everybody coming in - Josh and Nina
Whit
William
Everyone else took their stringers back to Copano to fillet, and the pelicans lined up for fish carcasses

Friday evening we had a culinary feast at 495 Chesapeake Eats in Rockport, and Lou picked up the tab - I think this made serious karma for his fishing -
- and I know he wants it to get him a return invite.
Their calamari and crab dip were outstanding, their stuffed flounder special was better than any I've tried elsewhere, and Lou made a great call on an aged rye Old Fashioned, which I was smart enough to duplicate.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

You men go on multi-day fishing trips that look like loads of fun. The food and liquor descriptions are as good as your fish stories, lol.

I give thumbs-up Image on Ron's photo of the liquor line-up, especially that smooth Woodford Reserve. I'm an official Ambassador for Makers Mark and appreciate fine bourbon whiskey.

Josh has learned that "the family fishing together, stays together." Good family memories being made.

If you guys want a fun fishing tournament next time, invite the Hobie Navy. We do it up right, too. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Don, last year, Lou and I just showed up for one day of fishing and two nights of celebrating -
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &p=2310961
- it was only a week after 6 of us had met up around a Palm Harbor canal house for 3 days of TS Beta storm tide fishing.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &p=2310194
When we came back for a day of Neumie's rodeo, we stayed at a remote fishing shack, which you can find from Aransas Pass to Holiday Beach - everything there is in close driving distance.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it to Michael earlier and gave him the dates.
When it gets close, we're too busy making room for it - cleaning work plate, honeydoing to guarantee kitchen pass, etc. - to think about inviting folks.
I know Tombo knew everything we were up to, and maybe Jim, too.

Since I'm here, this is the 3-g, 45-mm plug I was casting across Trout Bayou Cut - I'm hoping this will be productive for winter glass minnow imitation.
I swapped the tiny trout trebles for #6 salty single plug hooks - and I caught one rat red on it this trip.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Ron, who makes that lipped Trout plug? I need one. Love the profile and shiny silver sides.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

DD, it's from Japan - Duo Spearhead Ryuki S - they cast like a bullet, and have caught more specs and now redfish than any other trout plug I've thrown.
Ebay might be the easiest place to find them - most of mine came from Plat, and a few from JapanTackle.

The small sizes come with small trebles, and I swap to Owner single plug hooks.
And that's the other thing, you can only get split ring tweezers to work size #0 split rings in Japan.

also have this 70 mm Quattro jointed, 5-1/2 g, with size 8 trebles, which I had 7's to enlarge a half-size.

Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thank you, sir. If I find some, I'll spread the good news...

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Very, very nice. Had to be loads of fun. That 26” trout was a glutton. Glad to see the mangroves rebound. Always good stories. Thanks for the memories.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Epic report guys, great pictures too. Makes me feel like I was there as well sipping whiskey and slamming sow trout. Congrats to Lou on that one. Really great to see the beautiful mangroves making a comeback too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

As usual with you guys, a great report and nice pics! Thanks,
Except you need to tone it down a little bit. People are going to come here and think kayak fishing is supposed to be fun. :D
txanalogkd

Post by txanalogkd »

Yes, you all posted some great pictures and fishing reports, it's motivating me for a south TX kayak fishing trip. Thanks!!!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Daytrips are one thing - excursions with a group of friends is next-level.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Congratulations, Ron. You all look contented, tired and a bit fashionably drunk! That's our fishing trip Nirvana.

We hope to join you next year at the Arroyo if the invitation still stands.