Estes Flats/Trout Bayou 9-15-21

TexasJim

Estes Flats/Trout Bayou 9-15-21

Post by TexasJim »

At Ron Mc's urging, I decided to try the post-storm high tide at Trout Bayou in Aransas Bay, in my 14-foot skiff(basically a wide kayak with a 15 HP outboard). I would have done it in my kayak, but the North wind would have made the return trip grueling. I got to Trout Bayou, in Traylor Island at 7:30 AM, and the expected falling tide was instead a big-time rising tide into the flats. I anchored and tried some topwaters and plastics(Down South on Z-Man wobbly head) with no results. I put a live shrimp under a rattling float, and started catching hardheads and ladyfish. I began casting into the fastest part of the channel and started catching short reds and got a Subway Trout(foot-long) to my boat, but it spit the hook. Then, I hooked up a 29" red, a PB for me. I CPR'd him, and will try to attach a (poor) pic.
I caught nothing else, except ladyfish, cut-bait size. After another hour, I did a drift down to Little Cut. On the way, I caught three 18"-19" reds, all very pretty golden color. Tried some cut ladyfish on the bottom, and had my usual success: hardheads! When I got into Little Cut, the tide was still flooding in! I never caught anything else, and bagged it about 1:30 PM. Tide was STILL coming in. There's about a foot of extra water still in the bays. If it ever decides to run out, there should be some great fishing.
It was a great day, much better than staying home and putting all the stuff back out that we stowed for Nicholas!
TexasJim
20210915_083249.jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Estes Flats/Trout Bayou 9-15-21

Post by Ron Mc »

Seems like some of that had to be wind current on the surface, because the harmonics are showing 3-4 am high tides, and the measured AP water level is tracking the harmonic.

Glad you had a good day and caught fish.
We're having a nice cool spell, also that's supposed to be back to hot by the weekend.
Stoic_J

Re: Estes Flats/Trout Bayou 9-15-21

Post by Stoic_J »

I went out yesterday, too, and the tides were I was definitely weren't operating as expected. I'm guessing Ron Mc hit on the reason why.