Estes Flats Sep 3-4

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Estes Flats Sep 3-4

Post by Ron Mc »

When Ida tinkering sent me to the AP tide predictor, found several days of big harmonics and my favorite timing to fish the cuts at Estes. The biggest tide swing was Friday, with a 5 am high tide, which gives a good tide current for stacking bait in the passes at first light. I began checking with friends to see who could play - no trouble getting Lou and Tony to volunteer. We went down Thursday evening, (ate at Moon Dog's) and launched at dark-thirty Fri morning.

After our 3-mi paddle, first-light at Little Cut was everything promised - the bait were running into each other, the tide flow was so strong it created eddies. Redfish were rolling on the surface like tarpon. Tony was catching ladyfish on his fly rod, and right off, Lou caught three 14-inch snook.

Friday was an amazing day in many ways, and a strange day for me - I just couldn't bring a fish to hand. Whatever the reds were rolling on, I couldn't match the hatch. YoZuri wake bait made the exact pattern of the bait in the cut, no takers. The smallest thing I brought was 3" Z-man on 1/8-oz Texas eye jighead. Every cast, the little snook attacked it, and my couple of hook-ups shook me off.

As always on our favorite drill, when the pass quieted about 9 am, we moved back onto Estes to drift fish. Wind was SSW, the cloud cover and threat of rain made an extremely pleasant morning. For most of the morning, rained all around us and never on us. I hooked a solid red that hauled me too close to an anchored boat and a good bitching out - and the fish came unhooked right at the boat - my story for all of Friday.

Lou described a 24" flounder he brought to the boat, and it finally came unhooked.
About 11 am it looked like the rain was finally going to catch us, Tony and I retreated to Sandy Point for food and beer. Sure enough, we got sheets of heavy rain with a 30-kt gale, and watched Lou disappear up Trout Bayou.
Strangest thing, our pleasant morning disappeared with that squall.
As soon as the cloud passed, the flat turned to dead calm and brutal sun.

We made one last foray to the duck blinds, where I brought two more redfish to the boat, but no farther, and this little fella was my only fish to handle on Friday.

Friday was Lou's day, with a slot red and a keeper trout.

Dinner Friday night was Los Comales.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Estes Flats Sep 3-4

Post by Ron Mc »

Saturday, Labor Day weekend, not a great day to cross the ferry, so we ran our Estes drill the second day.
There was plenty of bait but no gamefish in Little Cut. With light SE wind, paddled onto Aransas Bay and instantly found trout. It started off bad, I had a big trout almost to the boat and one of her head shakes tore the hook - this drift has always been big trout water for me. Hoping not to have a repeat of Friday, and this was my first fish to hand.

Lou was done with Little Cut, paddled into my drift right after I lost the big girl, said he was heading to Estes, and we followed.
Surprisingly, there were fewer boats on Estes Saturday than we found there on Friday.
The SSW wind was perfect for drifting between the two duck blinds between Big Cut and Little Cut.
On every drift, we hit a pod of aggressive redfish - most were 17-18", and I managed one 20 for half-shell fillets.
One
Two
Three
Two of those reds took off as soon as the lure hit the water. The third one made me retrieve 10' first.
No clouds for us on Saturday, we headed in at 11:30. Tony caught an undersized flounder.
Last one off the flat, Tony caught a 17" red on his last cast.

ImageBTW, the mangroves on Talley Is. were sprouting green shoots - they're going to come back from the freeze damage.

Grabbed a Steer Burger on our way out of town.
Great times, great friends. We had a really awesome two days.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I enjoyed your detailed fishing report vicariously since no fishing for me the past 3 weeks. Even when your legal catches are lacking, you're always thinking of what lure or technique might work. I do that as well. Brain work burns calories, too, lol. That's the delightful challenge of our sport.

Keep 'em coming, Ron.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
2 Weight Willie

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

I would have been raging over all those lost fish. Nice job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Willie, I ran out of things to prove decades ago. We got enough intoxicated rage from that one power boater on the flat.
We were trying to be polite, and will be talking about that lout for a long time. I was never closer than 50 yards, was trying to talk to him, was on the wind side, and he was fishing his lee side.
The fish are gravy, I'm in it for the gestalt.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Ron, You guys did a little better than I did on Friday. I was in Port Bay in my skiff when I looked and had thunderstorms on three sides! I almost went back to the ramp. Two little sprinkles. A little tidal rise back there, not much. What little artificial bite there was went off after 8 AM. I threw some live shrimp and got an 18-inch red. Moved to Italian Bend, got lots of bites, but no takers. It cleared at 12, and got calm and brutal hot. Stopped back at the marsh drain, and got a 15" black, then nothing.

At least Moon Dog's, Los Comales and Steerburger made your drive worthwhile. TexasJim
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Great report, Ron. Perhaps you have thrown down the gauntlet for trip reporting!

Gestalt - I have added this to my list of words - I like it in the sense of a fishing outing - there are many different aspects that play a part in the enjoyment/pleasure of an outing.

With the continuation of this version of TKF I have seen some comparisons with the FB version. If you post this trip report on the FB version it would be condensed to a couple of paragraphs and a couple of fish pics. The 'gestalt' is missing!

Along these lines - My avatar is a picture that I took decades ago in London one night while strolling around the city. I liked the difference in the British use of the term and the American use. I then came across it while searching for an avatar for this site and knew that was the one for describing my outings!
Diversion - Something that distracts the mind and relaxes or entertains
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks Ken - you and Don, of course, get it - we've paid our dues over and over - Willie will get there - he's off to a great start.
BTW Willie, if you figure where to use gestalt in an English paper, you'll get an A+

Jim, thanks for your Port Bay report. I was considering texting you Friday night, but Tony came in behind us, and his navigator took him to Lamar - we had to coax him back to Estes, and it took all my attention.
We really had a great time - a few photos can't show the wonder.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Good report. I too saw the mangroves coming back today in parts of LHL/South Bay. The big redfish today only followed both topwaters and spoons… caught some small ones. Cool that y’all caught snook too!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: RE: Re: Estes Flats Sep 3-4

Post by Dandydon »

Ron Mc wrote:thanks Ken - you and Don, of course, get it - we've paid our dues over and over - Willie will get there -
Not only paid our dues, but I almost drowned yak fishing the Sea Isle Grand Canal at night. About 4 years ago I capsized when my hooked 5-lb Redfish suddenly swam under my Outback. I was trying out Shoffer's new homemade recliner seat which sat way too high for my comfort level.

I swallowed a pint of saltwater which Shoffer helped expel by doing chest compressions until I regained consciousness. He swore he didn't have to mouth-kiss me... Image

That's only one of my four actual Near-Death Experiences there and around the world. Stay tuned for the rest.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Great report, Ron. Really nice to read about the snook and mangroves.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks Josh, I know you couldn't play, but you would have loved both our drift windows on Saturday.

Aransas Bay into Little Cut had perfect light SE wind - incoming wind, outgoing tide - and later in the morning, Estes had perfect SSW wind to put us over that redfish pod every drift.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:Thanks Josh, I know you couldn't play, but you would have loved both our drift windows on Saturday.
Aransas Bay into Little Cut had perfect light SE wind, and later in the morning, Estes had perfect SSW wind to pus us over that redfish pod every drift.
Yeah, I really enjoy drifting between Big and Little Cuts; probably my favorite spot on Estes. One day we should put in over by Lighthouse Lakes or Hog Island and pull off the water at Palm Harbor; lots of great fishing when you get out of the normal kayak range.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Say when - you can count on Lou to join us, too.

btw, I got to fish my raced-out Daiwa 1/8 oz ML+ 22-lb X-braid this trip - it was flawless and could cast the full width of Little Cut at Aransas Bay side. I had to thumb my casts to keep them out of Lou and Tony. Same rod I've used for ML for a few years, and it was doubled over by every red, and even tourist trout were fun.
BTW, that tiny Aransas trout I showed above, he rocketed 6' straight up into the air on his first wind.

Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Thanks Ron! As I have been sitting around two weeks after my 3rd back surgery in a month naturally I have been thinking about fishing. Your report took me magically to where I have been wanting to go.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Ouch.
Thanks - I'm really glad you enjoyed it.
I should have taken more photos, but I did feel the need to catch up on the fish.
We three really had a grand time. We stayed in a Rahi fishing shack. Lisa there always does her best for us, always offering the newest cottages - and it's still a Harveyville shack. But we were paying $25/night/ea. for a rack and a kitchen. Plus she lets us pack out late and shower before we go.
I brought my DVD, and in the evenings, we watched The Long Riders and Predestination.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Thanks for the report Ron. I'm loving hearing the snook reports. Mangroves I'm a little torn on. I know they've been there for a while but decades before that there were no mangroves only grasses. But the mangroves do offer benefit no doubt.

Los Camales is never a bad thing. Especially if you get the beef fajitas (that sauce they use is amazing).
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

hi friend - I remember when they first opened, I was spending more time with a bud in Lamar, and pretty much combed through the menu.
Now with 2 or 3 trips/yr, I stick to the seafood page.
I had the San Luis Snapper and, of course, swam out in a fishbowl top-shelf Rita.
I'm pretty sure I remember mangroves on Traylor Is 30 years ago, but yes, on islands that had cattle, there would be grass in place of the mangroves. (Like when the bison kept cedar scrub away)

Friday's tide really was a wonder, and I should have brought my winter glass minnow gear, or at least a box with smaller wake baits for my ML.
Thursday might have been just as good, but none of us could get out that quickly.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Never tried the SL snapper but I will. I think the fish bowl Rita's are a must.

I don't ever remember not seeing mangroves with but what I understand from Dr. David Mckee is that they are not native to the area. Nonetheless they proven vital to keeping the islands and shorelines in place.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Neumie wrote:
Ron Mc wrote:Thanks Josh, I know you couldn't play, but you would have loved both our drift windows on Saturday.
Aransas Bay into Little Cut had perfect light SE wind, and later in the morning, Estes had perfect SSW wind to pus us over that redfish pod every drift.
Yeah, I really enjoy drifting between Big and Little Cuts; probably my favorite spot on Estes. One day we should put in over by Lighthouse Lakes or Hog Island and pull off the water at Palm Harbor; lots of great fishing when you get out of the normal kayak range.

And get into powerboat range lol. That whole flat is awesome though…