Galveston surf surprise

OldTownYakBoi

Galveston surf surprise

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

It has been quite some time since I’ve posted a report.

I hit the surf early this morning as I knew the water clarity is excellent (Perks of being an islander) I only went out for about an hour, it was supposed to be a falling tide but the storm offshore seemed to keep the tide in.

I walked out and water clarity was clean, probably 1.5ft but wave action was heavy. This kept me fishing the first gut bc I didn’t feel like being hammered by waves. There was dolphin, trout running in waves and bait everywhere, Shad, mullet and menhaden. I only fished for about an hour but struggled to get on a bite. I did however get lucky… On a quick retrieve with my chartreuse Vudu Shad I got hammered with the bait about 5-10 feet from me, drag started ripping quick. After a short battle I landed a 22 In Spanish Mackerel, I was delighted. By far my favorite species to catch in the surf. I netted him and shortly after headed home to fillet. Image

Once again I caught a big Mack on 12lb mono without getting cut, can’t say the same for my little Vudu Shad that was shredded. I was surprised I couldn’t catch any trout, maybe there was just too much bait… I may have been able to get them in the second gut, but I refused to get hammered by the waves and risk losing my special Mackey to the man in the grey suit (They were thick)

I only fished for around an hour but it was a beautiful morning. Nothing beats the surf, nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
impulse

Re: Galveston surf surprise

Post by impulse »

Here's a copy and paste of a blurb I put on 2Cool Fishing this morning regarding the surf at Sea Isle...

After virtually no wind last night, I bicycled down to the Sea Isle surf this morning at dawn expecting it to be flat, because it looked so good at dusk last night. Saw the surf and turned around and went back home for a few more ZZZ's.

There may have been tons of trout, but I didn't want to get beat half to death by the surf.

OTOH, the bay has been pretty good right outside the canals at night. Also some fish in the green canal lights, but not crazy like it was in the spring. (See my ID photo of the reds)

I'd add the caveat that it's not unusual to have good conditions at the Seawall when we're experiencing chocolate milk surf, and vice versa. And there's always San Luis Pass...

Last week, the stars all aligned and the surf was spectacular. I passed on the weekend because of the crowds. Plan to bicycle out there again at dawn tomorrow and hope it's calmer, but the wind today doesn't bode well for that. If not, I'll cycle back home for a nap.

One of the "pitfalls" of staying on the island is getting very nit-picky about conditions. Had I driven down over an hour from Houston, I'd have probably braved the surf and caught some fish today. Instead, I just caught some ZZZZ's.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Impulse I checked forecast and winds look pretty heavy, also look to be shifting more to the south which doesn’t bode well… But hell it won’t hurt to check it out with a morning cup of coffee.

Another problem is when you can go whenever it makes you a lazy fisherman haha, whereas coming from Houston you’re more likely to commit for a good part of the day. I’ll cross my fingers and hope winds stay low, I’m wanting to hit it tomorrow as well.

It’s funny you mention how the shoreline isn’t all equal as far as clarity, I agree and it’s a very good point for others

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

If anyone is wondering m… Fried Spanish is phenomenal. I crushed saltine crackers and mixed it with slap ya mama seasoning and then pan fried to perfection Image

impulse

Post by impulse »

OldTownYakBoi wrote: It’s funny you mention how the shoreline isn’t all equal as far as clarity, I agree and it’s a very good point for others
I had a friend tear them up on the jetties in Galveston when we were getting skunked in Sea Isle. He was getting smacks and trout and we were getting hardheads. And if the tide is right in San Luis Pass, the fishing can be great regardless of how the surf looks a mile up the beach.

I always look at the water when driving the Seawall and it's often much nicer than it is down on the West End, with a very visible green water interface within an easy wading distance. Then grab my rods down in Sea Isle and that interface is 1/4 mile out. Sometimes it's the other way around.

Bottom line is that people fishing the jetties in town and the Seawall can often have a much different day than Jamaica Beach and Sea Isle, and San Luis Pass is always a wildcard. If you're not doing well in one area of Galvatraz, a little scouting by car can turn your day around.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

You described blackwater in the surf perfectly.
I've had so many plastic baits bitten in half by jacks and mackerel.
Great report and great catch.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Good work, Yak Boi! I'd rather eat specks over Spanish Macs, but the Macs are often more fun to fight and land.

Any current surf reports are always welcomed. Maybe I'll join you soon for a surf session if the water goes "green to the beach."

And you're always invited to fish with the Hobie Navy. We're planning a nighttime trip soon.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk