Medina & Guadalupe Rivers - 4/10/2021

Neumie
Site Admin

Medina & Guadalupe Rivers - 4/10/2021

Post by Neumie »

This morning I was going to wash my wife and I's vehicles but San Antonio is already in Stage one water restrictions which means no residential waste water.

So I went fishing.

I loaded up my kayak and pointed my truck towards the Medina River. I scoped out a few spots to see how bad the low flows were affecting the river. Was a pretty sunset as well due to the north winds we had from a small cold front which passed through during the night.

I found a crossing with adequate water and launched my kayak. Paddled upstream and fished the pools catching a few fish including a nice Redbreast Sunfish and what I believe to be a Guad/Smallie hybrid.

My wife was working until 1, so by the time I put my kayak gear up and packed a small picnic we hopped in the truck and went to the Guadalupe River near Comfort, TX.

The Guad wasn't as clear as the Medina, but the cypress tree canopy was much fuller. As with most of the Texas Hill Country it was pretty stretch and a gorgeous afternoon to be fishing. I only managed one, a solid Redear, but it put up quite a fight.

Fish were caught on a Yellow Llano Bug or Olive Wooly Bugger.

Short and sweet today, but I'll be back on the water tomorrow.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: Medina & Guadalupe Rivers - 4/10/2021

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Very nice Josh! Where ya headed tomorrow?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Great report Josh, and really nice photos.
Answering out of turn, I'm taking Josh to the confluence of the Sabinal and Frio in the s. Texas scrub.
The Sabinal is mostly dry for 10 mi above here, and comes out of the last blue hole a quarter-mile above its mouth on the Frio.
All the water is cold, because it is the Edwards Aquifer.
Sight-fishing big bass, and cichlids the size of footballs.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I went to summer camp for a month each summer for 5 years near Kerrville and I love the Guad. It has a distinctive smell and taste that has never left my memory.

As for today's outing, go get them, gents!
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Thanks for the pics, Josh. They remind me of the two years I kayak fished around Ingram and Hunt in the Upper Guad. We lived at 1600 ft altitude, which made the weather really pleasant. People in Austin think they're in the Hill Country! TexasJim
58qr9vza

Post by 58qr9vza »

Wow What a nice catch..