Lake Raven - 3/22

YakSeMas

Lake Raven - 3/22

Post by YakSeMas »

Been a lurker for a while until finally pulling the trigger on a kayak this winter and, well, now I'm doing the kayak fishing thing after considering it for a long, long time. Bought a Crescent Ultralite since I can throw it on top of my Subaru with ease and storage at my place is at a premium. So far, I love it, but kinda miffed they just released a new 11-foot model I probably would have opted for.

Have appreciated all the reports/tips and figured I'd try to contribute as much as I can to pass it forward. I live in central Houston, but grew up in north Texas in a bass-fishing family so my plan this spring has been to scout out the local-ish freshwater spots for largemouth before getting up the gumption to hit up the bay as summer nears.

Was out at Lake Raven/Huntsville State Park on Monday. Caught one decent bass, had another hit hard but wrangle away. Used senkos of various colors almost exclusively. Talked to a guy on a bass boat crappie fishing who said he was catching 7-9lbers all along the opposite bank from the boat ramp with spawn going on, but I didn't see anyone with that kind of success :roll: . But was a nice day to paddle, if not a bit windy. Saw three gators for my trouble as well.

Next trek thinking about hitting up Luce Bayou to check it out on Good Friday. Made my maiden voyage on Lake Fayette back in February following the freeze week...didn't mind the drive and figured a power plant lake was fitting, if not just better odds with the temps. Caught a couple of good bass there as well.
Attachments
File_000.jpeg
KBCoog

Re: Lake Raven - 3/22

Post by KBCoog »

Looking forward to hearing your report from Luce Bayou. It looks like a neat spot for kayaks, and I need to make time to get up there.

I'm buying property not far from Ponderosa marina and have been renting(ACK, I45 for localish day trips)/on the fence of buying a kayak for a while now. I'm close to pulling the trigger, but like you storage space is at a premium at the moment.

The reports on TKF are very detailed and much appreciated, and go a long way toward helping us new to kayak fishing from making expensive rookie mistakes.

Good luck next Friday, post pics if you can!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk