An afternoon at Snake Island Cove

YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

I launched at Noon at Sea Isle with Dandydon and we headed over to Snake Island Cove. The air and the wind were both about 63 degrees and it was foggy! We had been in intermittent fog on the way down but it seemed thicker here. It stayed with us all day, rising some so we could see the grass banks and the lower parts of the houses, then lowering to obscure all if you were in the middle of the cove.
image6882.jpg
Resized_20210209_114426.jpeg.jpg
There was to be a decent incoming tide of about 1.5’ but this was countered by an easterly wind of about 10 mph, so there was good water movement in some areas, whether wind dominated or tidal dominated.

The water levels were over prediction by a bit less than a foot, but when starting from the normal winter-time low levels, it was still on the low side. The island was covered by water all day, but marsh areas and some shallow areas in the cove were low and so inhibiting full use of the mirage drives.

Fish action was slow – I did catch a rat red early on at a flow around the end of a geotube, so I thought that bite would continue.
image6883.jpg
But further along the nice looking flow around the geotubes produced nothing, even the areas with up to 8’ water depth. I did get some hits in the deeper channels near Sunset Cove homes, but they seemed to be small, just some tail tuggers.
P2090341.JPG
Don had a bit more action in the marsh, while I was along the geotubes, but he will touch on that.

I was a great day to be on the water, especially with what is on its way, cold and wind!!
Enjoy your next outing, once you thaw out!!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: An afternoon at Snake Island Cove

Post by Dandydon »

Ken writes with descriptive flair but he played down how bad that phucking FOG was yesterday around Sea Isle! It was foggy and dark all day, not a glint of sunlight. Around 2pm the visibility got down to about 200 ft. So seeing a few speeding powerboats suddenly materialize outta the fog coming right at you... Let's call it a Depends wet moment.

Ken is good company and a dang grinder at heart. We're about the same age but he's more patient than I. He doggedly worked that shallow Snake Island shell-bottom far longer than I could stomach. If the water depth impacts my Mirage fins, I'm soon outta there. So I radioed Ken I was headed to the marsh just east of the Sea Isle pier. Up to that point no bites for me.

I got to the shallow marsh-water and put on my beloved white VUDU SHAD, tipped w/ a shrimp FishbiteImageImage. Saw some mullet swirls and casted toward grassy shoreline, hooked up to a feisty 17" Rat Red. Let it go and casted toward a subtle wake... That was a lazy 14" Flounder. Released. Wish I could have kept them. Real tasty at that size. Looked around some more, only dead water, decided to head back to the Sea Isle canals where we launched.

That's where I caught my only specks of the day, three of 'em cruising in the main canal, all within 3 feet of the concrete bulkhead. Wasn't even casting, but simply trolling my Vudu Shad close to that bulkhead, slow-pedaling my Outback. It was easy. Maybe I should have stayed in the canals all day (?)

Why fish the bulkheads? Because last week I saw a YouTube video on Winter fishing (near bulkheads) where the concrete warms up and attracts fish. Kinda like how mud warms up before sand or shell. I caught a 13" and 15" speck within 5 minutes, then to cap my day, a strong 20-incher that bent my rod over, ha ha.

That was my only kept fish on a cool, foggy day. But had a blast as always and hope to fish more with my new friend YakRunabout. My best to all. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks for the report guys - good job.
Nice to get out even if the fishing wasn't the greatest.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

It was so foggy yesterday I got turned around several times. Today I thought about ordering up the cool floating compass Ken installed in his Hobie Pro Angler.

Punch line: He said it was Ron Mc's recommendation...

Yessir.

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I am very jealous you guys got out. That is the best wintertime spec I’ve seen in quite some time, Capt.

A great report by two great fishermen. Chock full of helpful info without details like what time you left your house, which pair of socks you decided to wear or the date of your last oil change.

Now, back to the salt mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Shoffer, my speck yesterday was better and stronger than Crusader's PB Trout which you praised. You were so busy working, you didn't even notice. Boo Hoo. . You must love doing Law. I retired at age 41, son. Fishing is actually more important.

Shame on you. I like YakRunabout and may be fishing with him now... Lol.

Years ago with Saltykat in the Winter we used to string up ten Trout each averaging about 21-22 inches. Many caught there on old Confederate Reef. Those days may be gone, but then so is Saltykat.

Looking forward to when you can join us, Shoffer. I'll keep my cooler cold.

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Dandydon wrote:Shame on you. I like YakRunabout and may be fishing with him now...
I heartily recommend it. He is great fisherman and a great dude.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Capt. Shoffer taught me how to FLIP OFF people Image! I've got many photos of his best flip off moments.

And yes, now I've got two awesome kayak friends with yak trailers! Life is good... God bless Shoffer and YakRunabout. Let's GO GET SOME. ImageImage

YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

DD, Shoffer - Thanks for the generous comments guys, appreciated -

(Hmmm - here are some highly competent, successful lawyers handing out compliments like it is easy pro bono work, hmmm - what do they want? )
No, no, they don't want anything, just accept and carry on!
(Hmmm - well, OK)
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Nice outing gents - only wish I could have joined you two!
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Good job on a grinder of a day, thanks for the pics and report! I myself was out on the south shoreline that day with little luck other than a sand trout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

You men are always invited, as sometimes I do issue general invites. Would enjoy meeting Drifting Yak, Yak Boi, et al. All crack fishermen!

Times have changed since we used to zealously guard our fishing locations, oh my. I remember my epic Sabine Lake speck day (strung up 3 over 9lbs, 3 over 8, and 2 over 7, all on a Skitterwalk in 70 minutes)... The fishing guide carefully blacked out the shoreline behind me in the photos.

Now I'm willing to give up my GPS coordinates to any Potlicker who wants them. Come one, come all.

Let's do some Winter fishing (in about a week), ha ha.

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Thanks! I enjoyed reading about how much you guys enjoyed yourselves on what many would consider to be an unenjoyable day.

I can remember fishing marsh areas when one of our thick Gulf Coast fogs suddenly rolled in. An early learned boy scout rule that cautioned, never to take a walk in the woods without a compass, kept me from ever getting lost or disoriented. Might be a good time to remind all yakers to include a compass along with their whistle and flairs.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I agree 100%, KK. Heavy fog is a menace to navigation and finding your way back to launch. Not only do I carry a quality compass in my dry bag, but also have a good Compass App on my cellphone.

If neither works, I follow Shoffer or YakRunabout around...

newbeginning

Post by newbeginning »

Is that launch still a private launch?
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Technically that Sea Isle launch is restricted to neighborhood residents. They put up locked chains across both ramps, but it's easy to hoist kayaks over the chains.

Never had anybody challenge me over there yet... (but I'm a Kung Fu lawyer who does what he wants)...

Just be sure to haul out your own litter, park in the designated spots, and be respectful of their private property.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

they do the same thing at Island Moorings for access to East Flats (Mustang Is).
Josh has talked with the Marina folks there, and they're happy with kayakers launching and obeying their staging and parking rules.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Nice, solid Speckled Trout!

I need to get back down there for some Spring fishing.