West Bay Lights –

YakRunabout

West Bay Lights –

Post by YakRunabout »

Hit some lights Saturday night, after the winds and rain possibility. Temps were low 60’s, both air and water, incoming tide, low barometric. Winds were moderate from the SW around sunset then relaxed some and more westerly by the time we got off the water.

I got a couple of undersized trout and reds early on, which I thought was a good sign. These came on the same DSL clear/sparkly burner shad that was sliced from the ribbon fish teeth on Tuesday. It was still staying on the hook, no problem. The lights mainly empty of fish, either bait or predator, though on close inspection there were some small bait fish present at some. Also, eventually the fish were more visible.

Fish action slowed some from my initial collection of smalls, but then Mike hooked into a battle and pulled in a nice fat 24.5” red. A bit after I caught a nice 22” red. I was now casting a smaller lure, a Chicken Boy curly tailed grub, similar in color to the DSL.

We arrived at one light together and saw several large fish patrolling. Fish had been spooking fairly easily at some previous lights and so took the opportunity to cast at the same time. I took the left and Mike the right side. The fish soon scattered but that was due to both of our lures being taken. I ended with a 24.5” red and Mike a 14”.

So, this action extended our stay a bit. At another light I hooked into another big fight and brought in a fat 24” red. I thought that it may be a bit larger due to the fight that it put up. These 3 of mine were all on the small curly tail grub.

On the way back to the launch Mike tried to add to his take when we watched a large red take his lure. I left the area to clear the fight area, but on circling back I ended up in its path anyway!! I did not impact the fish but may have contributed to its throwing the hook – dang!

Anyway, a nice active night on the water. I ended with the 3 reds, Mike a red and a trout.
The 4 reds -
The 4 reds -
I also got a different sort of record, my first January with 5 kayak outings!

Enjoy your next outing!!!!!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: West Bay Lights –

Post by Ron Mc »

Ken, you've been getting out quite a bit.
Nice outing and great fish - thanks for the report.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Ron - you are correct! In a word - Retirement -

I have averaged 40 kayak outings over the past 5 years - also a few PB outings thrown in.
This is my fastest start to a year. weather has a lot to do with that. I see that each outing this year has been to a different location - not sure how long that will continue.
Would gladly head south again to join you on another outing -
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Kudos to you for nightfishing in the Winter! The Hobie Navy has mostly concluded that nightfishing is more successful in the hot months when we measured a wide temperature differential between the daytime & nighttime waters. We believed the gamefish congregated around the lights to feed in those cooler waters.

But your recent reports of good night catches have challenged our theory.
Keeper Redfish at night speak for themselves. Theories are only as good as the evidence supporting them.

Maybe you'll see us out there soon. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Keeper Redfish at night speak for themselves.
- Ya shure, you betcha!

My Uncle married a lady who had emigrated from Sweden along with a friend of hers. He picked up some sayings he would say in a Swedish accent, with the above being one of them. In reply, the friend who also came from Sweden would reply with her Swedish cadence that she retained - Ve may say ya shure, but ve never say you betcha!
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for the report!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Yassir!

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

See you next Monday at Sea Isle, YakRun! My normal Hobie Navy companions are all too busy...

I give thanks every day not having to work at a job... ImageImage

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Monday trip canceled. Working on Plan "B." Maybe Tuesday? Image

Stay tuned, men! Bring your VUDU SHAD... Image