Another Winter Trip, January, Fishing West Bay.

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Haven’t been as active lately, but wanted to post a report. Fishing lately has been steady, but nothing great. I’ve managed at least a few keeper trout on each trip out, but am having a hard time locating the bigger gamefish.

Conditions:
Moon Phase : Waning Crescent
Tide: outgoing (medium fast)
Temp: 55 (Mainly Overcast)
Water Temp: Unknown
Wind: 20 ENE
Water Clarity: 2-3 ft
Bait: All I saw yesterday was 2-3 in shad (Medium Activity level)
Lures: KWiggler Ball Tail Shad & Vuddu Shad

Took a trip out with my pops yesterday, launched around 9am. The weatherman called for 8mph all day... What a liar

We battled 20mph ENE winds all morning long with the occasional strong gust. We found some protected waters and some fish but the wind made it difficult to feel the bites. I can’t even say how may fish I missed, but it was quite a few. Yesterday was another example showing the importance of presentation, even my dad commented on it. “I fished throwing downwind for 20 min and couldn’t get hit, I turned around and threw into the current and started getting action immediately.”

We ended the day with 4 keep trout and a ton of undersized but it was a grind. Also lost what looked like a smaller slot red right at the boat.

Note: All Fish caught in the last 4 trips were in 4-6ft of water over Mud, or a mud/shell mix. At times they are holding near the drop, other times they’re in the middle of a deep hole, or sitting on top of a shell pile, even if it’s tiny. You just have to investigate and be patient. Same with the retrieve, each trip has been a little different. Some days they want it dead stuck on the bottom and other days an aggressive retrieve higher in the water column is working. The aggressive retrieve mid way through the column is what they wanted yesterday.

I’ve been having a lot of luck with the 3” Vudu Shad when the bite has gotten tough this winter season. I think it’s just a hard lure for a fish to turn down, even when they’re not actively feeding. Another lure I’ve really taken a liking to is the KWiggler Ball Tail shad. These lures are tough, have good color combos, great action, and flat out catch fish.

Here’s a good 18” Trout

The Flounder are still out there, all the ones I’ve caught though are cookie cutter 14”-15” Potato Chips.

I highly encourage you all to get out and fish this Winter, there’s a lot you can learn. And if you do happen to wet a line, please post a juicy report for all of us at TKF.

I hope you’re all staying healthy and are in good spirits.Tight lines everyone, YakBoi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by OldTownYakBoi on Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.
2 Weight Willie

Re: Another Winter Trip, January, Fishing West Bay.

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Nice

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

You are an energetic fisherman, Yak Boi, and we who are stuck at home appreciate your fishing reports. That full moon was enticing me to go wet a line, too.

I agree that wintertime fishing can be good over warming mud bottoms close to shell reefs. Shoffer and I used to limit out on Trout around the Frozen Point area of East Bay. That area has good bottom contours for Trout presented slow-sinking lures like Corkies and Catch 22s.

That VUDU Shad works well, too. I've been packing those since fellow TKF member Mike Watson proved its efficacy both day and night.

Keep up the good work and hopefully the Hobie Navy will join you for a future trip. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Excellent result paying your winter dues.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Great report on a trip to remember. The tough ones are especially satisfying when you find some fish. Thanks for the report.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:Excellent result paying your winter dues.
Yes indeed, it’s part of the fun!

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Thanks DD.

I haven’t had much of any success with the beloved Corky. It’s pretty tough to through out of the yak, and I enjoy the warmth too much to wade. Do you throw it out of the yak?
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

YakRunabout wrote:Great report on a trip to remember. The tough ones are especially satisfying when you find some fish. Thanks for the report.
Thanks, it was a grind but it was fun

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I was introduced to the mighty CORKIE lure by the legendary TKF member Saltykat, who has unfortunately moved back to his hometown of Chicago. He bought a lot of discount fishing gear, and because the real Paul Brown Corkies were expensive, he found the cheaper knock-off suspending lure called the "Redfish Cork," manufactured by Tsunami. The day he left Texas he gifted me a dozen of those Corks.

Several Winters ago Saltykat & I used to slay big Trout fishing that Cork lure.
I'm normally impatient and retrieve my lures too fast in that cold water. Saltykat taught me to slow-reel that Cork so it slowly swam and attracted vicious strikes from lethargic big Specks resting on the bottom. If he threw out a buoy, the frenzy was ON!

So yes, you can slow-fish that CORKIE lure from your kayak, but be sure to reel it or troll it slowly. Image

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Saltykat is second from the left in the photo, also holding a disc golf Frisbee.

Besides being the best amateur fisherman I've met, Mr. Don Wikchek is also one of the best in Disc golf, admitted to its own Hall of Fame with many national titles.

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Winter fishing is a no go for me...,summer as well due to the virus. So please keep the fishing reports coming. I enjoyed that last trip as much as you...,almost.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Had a small window yesterday around lunch and pulled in this very healthy 20.5 Speck. She ripped some drag and then surfaced for the infamous-trout head shake. She was released, and swam off to be caught another day.Image

2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Another Winter Trip, January, Fishing West Bay.

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

OldTownYakBoi wrote:Had a small window yesterday around lunch and pulled in this very healthy 20.5 Speck. She ripped some drag and then surfaced for the infamous-trout head shake. She was released, and swam off to be caught another day.Image

Nice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Great photo, Yak Boi!

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

The Vudu Shad strikes again!

And DD is right - Saltykat was the MAN when it came to wintertime specks.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

shoffer wrote:The Vudu Shad strikes again!

And DD is right - Saltykat was the MAN when it came to wintertime specks.
I love this lure, plus it’s got perfect ridges to slap on some pro cure. I need to just force myself to use a Corky, just always find myself reaching for a soft plastic in most situations.

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Thanks for the compliments fellas, I’m itching get a big girl around the 28 mark to beat my PB. I’ve heard February is a great month for big trout. I’ve been fishing mainly protected bayous and canals to get away from the wind and cold.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Really Nice Photo - thanks for posting
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Yak Boi, I think I read somewhere in the Tx. Dept. Wildlife statistics that the biggest Texas Speckled Trout are caught in February. That's a bit freaky because February has only 28 days and that weird Leap Year stuff every 4 years.

But most those big girls are caught on slow-retrieved suspending/sinking Corkies and Catch 20s. I've landed some 28"+ trout on regular (slender) Corkies plus the Fat Boys, but most on the knock-off Tsunami CORK lure popularized by Saltykat who had hundreds of them. He got 'em online for $0.50 each... Image

Anyway, my best Trout day was in late November 2003 in a cold waist-deep saltwater cove off Sabine Lake. On a topwater green Skitterwalk, in 70 blissful minutes I strung 3 over 9 lbs. 3 over 8 lbs, and 2 over 7 lbs. All photographed and released.

Thank you, Lord... Image. Please post when you land that next PB! Image