A Sportsman Variety Pack –

YakRunabout

A Sportsman Variety Pack –

Post by YakRunabout »

Launched through the low tide mud and muck with air temp and water temp in upper 60’s, wind at 10mph+ out of the east and with a big afternoon incoming tide just beginning to show up. Water was salty, salty, salty!! Cloudy all day, which a bit later gave us some interesting views.

Fish action was slow until we found some deeper water to explore, but even then they were on the small side. I caught a pair of trout, a pair of hand-sized flounder, another blue tailed red with an added flair of blue above the eye, and a sand trout.
P1260305.JPG
P1260308.JPG
P1260310.JPG
P1260311.JPG
To Be Continued - -
YakRunabout

Re: A Sportsman Variety Pack –

Post by YakRunabout »

Then to top it all off I hooked into a fish that at first took a little drag, so I thought redfish, but it did not keep running, then it would not come up easily, so I thought flounder, then when I finally got it to the surface, I still did not recognize it at first – because I could only see the toothy mouth of a ribbonfish!! I had seen these before, used as offshore bait, but had not caught one before. And this was bigger than the normal bait I had seen, being 30”+. The kayak it is laying across is 31” wide.
P1260313.JPG
P1260316.JPG
Finished off with some interesting cloud formations. No sunset, must have been packing up at that time.
P1260304.JPG
P1260320.JPG
Enjoy your next outing
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Great report and excellent pictures. I have found that on my days that are slow I’m more likely to have a lot of interesting catches, ribbon and lizard fish included. That is a very big one though. I haven’t been out as much lately but the last few times I have I’ve found them shallow. I’m assuming this is due to the prolonged warming we had recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I caught one that size as a teenager at the Wharf Cat dock in Aransas Channel when we were waiting to go out.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

You caught some kind of poor man's slam and apparently had loads of fun.

Thanks for sharing, and now I'll know to wait until the winds & tides get better before I hit that area again...All the shell and drop-offs make for interesting fishing.

Am glad to hear the baywater is salty over there. If Trinity AND East Bay are fresh, that leaves us West Bay to catch Trout... Ouch.

Help!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Handsome fish. Supposedly, those ribbonfish are quite tasty. Those teeth are a horror. I need to fish.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Those teeth are a horror.
- Agreed!

And a surprising thing for me on this catch is that the jig head was tied directly to 10lb braid and it survived! I gave it a good tug before using again to make sure that it would still be good, and it caught the sandy after this -

All fish were caught on the clear/white/sparkly burner shad that I have been using for a time now. As mentioned, the line survived the encounter, but the lure had a couple nice slashes across it, though still stayed on the hook, so usable.

I went to the deeper water areas hoping to find some lurking trout - found some, but no size - oh well!! It was a good day on the water nonetheless.

Plus - it is always a workout - only 5 miles on this day, but did get a couple of runs in!!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Ha, Ha - the word 'horror' brought Hollywood to mind - Increase the size of the ribbon fish by 10 times or so then you have a nice bay monster.

2" teeth would have no problem disabling a plastic kayak, then come back in a bit once the occupant is more in the water . . .
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: A Sportsman Variety Pack –

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

YakRunabout wrote:Ha, Ha - the word 'horror' brought Hollywood to mind - Increase the size of the ribbon fish by 10 times or so then you have a nice bay monster.

2" teeth would have no problem disabling a plastic kayak, then come back in a bit once the occupant is more in the water . . .
That would make me think twice about swimmingImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk