Who Pulled the Plug?

YakRunabout

Who Pulled the Plug?

Post by YakRunabout »

We went out Saturday afternoon for some evening and night fishing around Galveston. We knew that there would be a low tide around noon at the causeway but did not know that the bottom was going to drop out like it did!! Winds were from the north but did not seem strong enough for that result.

Anyway, on the way south we did see where the tide was headed on the NOAA site at the RR bridge. As we reached the Highland Bayou section on I45 we saw nothing but mud and a few small channels all the way to the bayou! Then the marsh below BV was marsh grass and mud channels. We could not tell if the old fat boys launch could even be used due to the mud.

Crossing the Causeway bridge we could see the old, old piers for the pre-causeway bridge across to Galveston. I have heard of these as being a boating hazard during low water conditions, but had never seen them before. Several were out of the water and others disturbing the water surface, sort of lined up with Galveston Bait and Tackle.

So, we changed from our West Bay options and headed for Moses Lake. We know there is deep water there. We launched at the Fish Spot after verifying that there was enough water to get out of that marina, the tips of the PA mirage drives smushing through soft mud from time to time. We followed the marked boat channel for a time, at 2.5', and occasionally deeper. I went off to explore the main bay and found 1.8’ generally. Water temp was 54 early on then 52 later. Air temp in upper 50’s to begin with the dropping quickly after sunset to lower 50’s. Winds were moderate initially then dying down to near nothing later.

Fish action was pretty slow. Early on I did find some wind blown current flowing between a few islands (areas that would normally be called shallows) and was able to land a 17” flounder.
P1160284.JPG
After that it was silence from the fish. I tried the deep areas west of the gate, the deep waters at the gate and the deep waters outside the gate, nothing. The tide was just starting to come in when I was at the gate so it took some effort to get out, but not too much. Coming back in was easy!
P1160288.JPG
I was near the gate at sunset and the temperature drop was quite noticeable. We were happy that the winds died down so we did not have that to add to the lowered temp!

Osprey were out again but I had left my bigger zoom camera at home so did not get the same sort of pics. One was posing on a tall post eating its catch as we were leaving the marina. Others were seen on the numerous perch opportunities available in the lake.
P1160283.JPG
Later a tall white egret was taking advantage of the new shallows that it could search in and was enjoying a feast. It was lit by a bright green dock light and presented an eerie apparition as we drifted passed!
The Egret apparition
The Egret apparition
Not a productive day fish-wise, but still an enjoyable outing.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Who Pulled the Plug?

Post by shoffer »

Nice report. I screenshot a photo of Trinity Bay from Saturday, the 16th, thinking the same thing:
TB1.png
TB32.png
Yesterday, DandyDon and Mwatson and I went to Ernie's launch into Xmas Bay around 10 am. Water too shallow to fish north of there, so we fished Churchill and Cold pass, and I managed a 9-inch rat red all day. Everyone else with whom we spoke said it was slow for them. I anticipated slow conditions due to a 64 tide coefficient, no good solunar periods, and the fact that it is January. I was right. Nice day to be out, though. Water was glass until about noon, then picked up to about 6 mph. Water visibility was 12 to 24 inches; slow outgoing tide.

The SLP boat ramp is closed until Feb. 10, 2021, according to the signage we saw.
Last edited by shoffer on Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I've borrowed this from Josh more than once.
technically, because of axis tilt, more sun is in the southern hemisphere right now, and it was mostly the sun pulled the plug.
Also, both the earth's and moon's orbits aren't round - twice each year, we're a little bit closer to the sun.
or, everything is traveling through space in a straight line, and everything we see is caused by space being warped by gravitational fields.
Even worse, string theory says there is only one dimension, and our perception of space, time and matter is an illusion of interacting fields - no other way to account for spooky interaction at a(n apparent) distance.
Makes you want to drink another beer and keep fishing.

thanks for the reports and photos - enjoy the flounder - and beer. :mrgreen:
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Nice report. And I really like that picture of the flood gate :)
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Good report and pics! Thanks for sharing good info! :clap:
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Ron - Yeah, makes sense it was the sun - It's got to be a big plug and the sun is the big guy that could do it! Maybe an assist from the moon to clear the chain away! The tide was already low and below prediction - we had factored that in, planning on spots with water deep enough. But this one went beyond and below!

Stewart - we were thinking of Sunday afternoon or Monday morning when some southerly winds may help the water situation. The predictions were kind of all over the place with some southerly but from many directions, so we figured there would not be a big return. Today I see it is back to prediction. Also the solunar - Yeah - Sunday Monday not much, Saturday a bit better and bigger tides, but lower water. Oh, well - too many variables, we made a call, found low water, got to witness the mud and still had a good time.

Chubs - If you liked that gate, here's another with some sun on it!
OI000111.jpg
As I mentioned in the report I went through the gate on this day. It was relatively calm conditions and an incoming flow. I do not recommend going through, except in very calm conditions.
The first time I went through was on an outgoing tide at the gate, but it was well past the time of low tide at Eagle Point. Well, I found out that the timing of the flow through the gate is much delayed from the Eagle Point info. I spent 2 hours fishing on the outside before I could get back in, and then it was peddling as hard as I could !!

KB - These are written with you in mind - I hope that you can get out soon.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

seems to me the down-flow side of the gate would stack fish looking for the bait washed through.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Ron - I expect you are correct. In this case it is the inside - so there is the direct flow and deep channel - I saw up to 31' on this day. Also, there is the eddy on the sides of the back flow toward the gate. I worked these with a large dsl on a heavier twist-lock with no takers. Also worked the flow further back and the sides. There were several fishing along the east bank, since you can drive and park on this side. I saw no fish brought in. Thought that it would be a good spot right at sundown!

Sometimes the flow at the gate is too strong to fish directly, but on this day the incoming was just getting started.

Some info - you can see the different water levels from the two pics of the gate -
impulse

Post by impulse »

I feel for anyone who was fishing up in the backwaters of West Bay when they pulled the plug on the 16th. There's a lot of fishy places you could get a power boat in at 16:00, but couldn't get it out a little later in the evening. Camping out in my boat on a winter night, waiting for the tide to come in, isn't my idea of fun.

Another plus for kayaking...

Watched it happen from the back deck in Sea Isle. Pretty surreal. We've also seen a lot of boats struggling to get out the Sea Isle channel over the past couple of weeks. But the evening of the 16th was the worst.
Attachments
Tides 3.jpg
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Impulse - You are so correct - We witnessed a version of this on Saturday - When we launched there was one vehicle with a boat trailer in the lot. When we got back that night the boat had made it back to the launch, but they could not load cause there was not enough paved ramp left to back their trailer far enough into the water. There was at least 1.5' drop-off into the muck at the end of the pavement. So, they were there until the water came back in!!

In this case they had to Fish Spot to hang out it while they waited.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

I was in Surfside this weekend. Drum bay was almost empty. 3rd street boat ramp had zero water, just mud and oyster reefs. Mid Drum bay launch spots almost the same. It was so nice of a weekend I didn't even wet a line. Ijust set up camp on the beach and enjoyed the peaceful afternoon and night by the camp fire.
Attachments
20210116_150605.jpg
20210116_150522.jpg
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Another great TKF fishing thread in which few fish were caught, but the info tsunami from you fishing brains is impressive. Thanks to all commenters! !

Looks like our members are kindly following one of my New Years' Resolutions to share good info and locations even when nothing much is caught. Who we trying to impress or fool, anyway? All of us have hammered the gamefish, so now we impress with our knowledge and tips. Keep 'em coming, men.

Between Yak Run's astute depth & hydrology tips, to Shoffer's Tidal Coefficients and Ron's musings on theoretical matter, we are blessed to have brainy members willing to share and educate all who venture here. To Ron I generously offer that actual string theory requires 10 or 11 dimensions, not one, but I'm sure that was a typo...

I just wish we still heard from such old stalwart TKFers like Captain Jack, Yaklash, M. T. Stringer, Capt. Carl, Ms. Addicted, and more from the immortal Saltykat... I'm thankful for those still here.

Yes, yesterday was a long fruitless, feckless, but fabulous kayak trip to Churchill Bayou & Cold Pass with my best fishing friends, minus Kickingback. Yes, I got skunked for the second trip in a row. But that's not why I fish.

I fish to interact with my favorite people. Yessir.

Below, behold Shoffer's undersized Redfish, the only thing our Hobie Navy caught yesterday... We still had a blast.

See Ya'll on the water. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Dandydon wrote:

Below, behold Shoffer's undersized Redfish, the only thing our Hobie Navy caught yesterday... We still had a blast.

See Ya'll on the water. Image

That is by far the smallest redfish I have ever seen caught! Pretty cool.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks, Cityfisher. Ever notice how some fishermen refuse to get SKUNKED? In my 60 years of fishing, I've met two. Shoffer and Saltykat.

They have never been skunked ON fishing trips with me, sessions in the hundreds. When we mortals get no bites, they pull SOMETHING outta the water, salty or fresh. It's uncanny, kinda like Ron's theory that we're all made of sub-microscopic matter-waves, yikes! He's been reading the Nobel laureate physicist Louis de Broglie (!). Good stuff, Ron & Josh.

I've been lucky enough to plow my way as a lawyer through over 60 countries, millions of dollars, thousands of fish, and many exotic ladies, but my life peaks are fishing with my best friends.

Yes, I love fishing with the ALIENS! Image

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Dandydon wrote:Thanks, Cityfisher. Ever notice how some fishermen refuse to get SKUNKED? In my 60 years of fishing, I've met two. Shoffer and Saltykat.

They have never been skunked ON fishing trips with me, sessions in the hundreds. When we mortals get no bites, they pull SOMETHING outta the water, salty or fresh. It's uncanny, kinda like Ron's theory that we're all made of sub-microscopic matter-waves, yikes! He's been reading the Nobel laureate physicist Louis de Broglie (!). Good stuff, Ron & Josh.

I've been lucky enough to plow my way as a lawyer through over 60 countries, millions of dollars, thousands of fish, and many exotic ladies, but my life peaks are fishing with my best friends.

Yes, I love fishing with the ALIENS! Image

Yes I have noticed that. My best friend (and ex cousin in law. lol) and fishing partner is like that. He always pulls something out. Even if it's not a fish he'll pull up a gigantic blue crab. lol
Gage5602

Post by Gage5602 »

I've grown up fishing Moses you just weren't in the right spot i would launch your yak from 146 at Moses bayou and make your way in there you will find some fish MY Best memory was fishing with my dad in there 11 years ago we caught 20 to 25 in trout till yours arms fell off. But i will give it too the last 5 years or so have been slower in there and a nice flounder is a nice meal good report
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Dandydon wrote:Below, behold Shoffer's undersized Redfish, the only thing our Hobie Navy caught yesterday... We still had a blast.
Although that is not my redfish, Don is not far off. My 9 incher was caught while I was trolling a dropoff in 3-4 feet of water with white Gulp curly tail on a 1/4 oz jighead. It had a beautiful blue tail, but I took no photos as I assumed I might have more fish later.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

As Capt. Shoffer knows, the tiny Redfish in the photo was a representation of the actual one he caught. As a lawyer it is unethical for me to lie, so I found the tiny Red on the Internet.

I was making my point (in another TKF thread) that Shoffer never gets skunked. He always catches something.

And as far as I know, he's NOT gay. No sir. . Image

mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Dandydon wrote:

Not quite, I caught a flounder that last year would have been legal at 14.5"