A trip gone to the birds

YakRunabout

A trip gone to the birds

Post by YakRunabout »

A few days a go launched into Double Bayou from Beason Park into a dropping tide and fresh water on the surface. The fresh water was not a surprise and we were hoping to find some fish at depth. The fresh surface followed the channel from the bayous a bit into the bay, but we did find some salty surface away from the outgoing bayou flow. A few birds were diving over some scattered areas.

We tried various areas and found no fish, until toward the end up in the bayou I pulled in a small channel cat. We tried deep and shallow banks in the bayous, we tried deep in the channel out in the bay and the salty areas of the bay and shoreline – nothing. One possible issue was the bluebird sky, high barometric pressure. Prediction was for a drop after a morning low, but the drop came a bit late for us.

On the way back to the launch we spotted an Osprey perched on a tree branch. My normal waterproof camera is a 4X zoom so not quite enough for this guy. But I had my 40X zoom camera for these occasions. So I took some shots as I slowly moved towards him, and he stayed for a while.
IMG_0706.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG
I edited one of the pics to get a bit closer -
IMG_0718.JPG
2 Weight Willie

Re: A trip gone to the birds

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Great

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Good report, YakRun, despite the fresh water in Trinity Bay. You saved Shoffer and me from launching over there in quest of Speckled Trout. If you're catching Channel Catfish, prospects for specks are terrible.

But you did get some great Osprey photos. I remember kayak trips to the San Bernard River where the diving Osprey helped me locate some specks. Almost as useful as hovering seagulls.

I hope to hit some salty water soon after my first phucking colonoscopy this Thursday. Not looking forward to THAT...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

more proof no time on the water is wasted - nice photos
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Nice! One of the many reasons why kayak fishing is great. Thanks!
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

YakRunabout wrote:A few days a go launched into Double Bayou from Beason Park into a dropping tide and fresh water on the surface. The fresh water was not a surprise and we were hoping to find some fish at depth. The fresh surface followed the channel from the bayous a bit into the bay, but we did find some salty surface away from the outgoing bayou flow. A few birds were diving over some scattered areas.

We tried various areas and found no fish, until toward the end up in the bayou I pulled in a small channel cat. We tried deep and shallow banks in the bayous, we tried deep in the channel out in the bay and the salty areas of the bay and shoreline – nothing. One possible issue was the bluebird sky, high barometric pressure. Prediction was for a drop after a morning low, but the drop came a bit late for us.

On the way back to the launch we spotted an Osprey perched on a tree branch. My normal waterproof camera is a 4X zoom so not quite enough for this guy. But I had my 40X zoom camera for these occasions. So I took some shots as I slowly moved towards him, and he stayed for a while.
IMG_0706.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG
I edited one of the pics to get a bit closer -
IMG_0718.JPG
Some seriously cool pictures, thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk