West Bay 12/23

OldTownYakBoi

West Bay 12/23

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Still trying to get the pattern down of winter fishing, I’ve been waiting for an approaching front to hit the water and found a window yesterday afternoon. I launched and paddled into west bay. Water clarity was perfect, stained trout green aided by the SW winds, air temps were warm, about 68, and bait was in the area. All signs you’d want to see in the winter time were present. I fished soft plastics and Fat boys with no takers. At one point during the wade I was able to sneak up within feet on a large trout, probably 20-23 inches but could not get him to eat. After working hard for a big fish I decided I just wanted to get a bite, and began drifting some docks that faced the bay. I was no more than 20 yards off the dock, casting towards the dock when a PB came and burned every single dock, running right in front of me with his 2 stroke outboard, then proceeded to ask if I had any luck....I hate PB’s. Overall the day was beautiful, and I enjoyed my time on the water. This winter season has been a humbling experience, but helps me appreciate the good days. I will try to keep you all up to date on the fishing, but so far I don’t have much to show. Here is a clip of the beauty of West Bay in winterImage

At least I’m not sweating my ass off and getting skunked Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: West Bay 12/23

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

OldTownYakBoi wrote:Still trying to get the pattern down of winter fishing, I’ve been waiting for an approaching front to hit the water and found a window yesterday afternoon. I launched and paddled into west bay. Water clarity was perfect, stained trout green aided by the SW winds, air temps were warm, about 68, and bait was in the area. All signs you’d want to see in the winter time were present. I fished soft plastics and Fat boys with no takers. At one point during the wade I was able to sneak up within feet on a large trout, probably 20-23 inches but could not get him to eat. After working hard for a big fish I decided I just wanted to get a bite, and began drifting some docks that faced the bay. I was no more than 20 yards off the dock, casting towards the dock when a PB came and burned every single dock, running right in front of me with his 2 stroke outboard, then proceeded to ask if I had any luck....I hate PB’s. Overall the day was beautiful, and I enjoyed my time on the water. This winter season has been a humbling experience, but helps me appreciate the good days. I will try to keep you all up to date on the fishing, but so far I don’t have much to show. Here is a clip of the beauty of West Bay in winterImage

At least I’m not sweating my ass off and getting skunked Image

Cold weather is a blessing and a curse

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: West Bay 12/23

Post by karstopo »

I’m dying to get out. Various factors, wind, rain, stupid stuff my wife keeps getting me into, are conspiring against me. She gets a holiday h*rd on from about Mid November until New Years, watching idiotic holiday movies, baking this, wrapping that, decorate over there. I think the plan is to fatten me up so much I’ll soon drop dead from a coronary, then she’ll move on to the next victim. Next time should I out live this one, I’m marrying an orphan that hates the holidays.

Goodness gracious I’ve had my fill of domestic bliss, need to remove myself from the insanity of Christmas.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

karstopo wrote:I’m dying to get out. Various factors, wind, rain, stupid stuff my wife keeps getting me into, are conspiring against me. She gets a holiday h*rd on from about Mid November until New Years, watching idiotic holiday movies, baking this, wrapping that, decorate over there. I think the plan is to fatten me up so much I’ll soon drop dead from a coronary, then she’ll move on to the next victim. Next time should I out live this one, I’m marrying an orphan that hates the holidays.

Goodness gracious I’ve had my fill of domestic bliss, need to remove myself from the insanity of Christmas.
You make not catching fish sound like the dream Image. Good thing is you’re almost out of the woods, only another week

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

karstopo wrote:I’m dying to get out. Various factors, wind, rain, stupid stuff my wife keeps getting me into, are conspiring against me. She gets a holiday h*rd on from about Mid November until New Years, watching idiotic holiday movies, baking this, wrapping that, decorate over there. I think the plan is to fatten me up so much I’ll soon drop dead from a coronary, then she’ll move on to the next victim. Next time should I out live this one, I’m marrying an orphan that hates the holidays.

You make not catching fish sound like the dream Image. Good thing is you’re almost out of the woods, only another week

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

beautiful clear water, and a beautiful sunny day to be out.
Really nice photo of the clear water.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:beautiful clear water, and a beautiful sunny day to be out.
Really nice photo of the clear water.
It was certainly a dream day, too bad I didn’t get more fish cooperation.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Keep casting and posting gorgeous blue water photos, Yak Boi! That water reminded me of a world-class beach in Thailand I frequented in the 80s. But there were plenty of fish swimming around over there.

Let's see some end-of-year action and fishing reports... Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Keep casting and posting gorgeous blue water photos, Yak Boi! That water reminded me of a world-class beach in Thailand I frequented in the 80s. But there were plenty of fish swimming around over there.

Let's see some end-of-year action and fishing reports... Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Sounds awesome, what kind of gamefish did they have on those clear waters?

saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

Love the clear water of winter my favorite time of year to fish the bays.
David your post was hilarious :cat: