November 5, 2020 - Another night of catching 'em

mwatson71

November 5, 2020 - Another night of catching 'em

Post by mwatson71 »

My plan was to launch around 11:30p, hit the causeway and maybe Tiki. Winds were predicted to be in the 9-13mph range at launch and declining. I ended up not launching until 2a which was fine with me but the winds was still around 10mph. I decided not to go to the causeway because I didn't feel like dealing with the chop and there were a few lights at Tiki that I wanted to hit.

So I pedal up to the first light and throw my Chicken Boy in glow with a chartreuse tail on a 1/8 Redfish Eye jighead just beyond the light and let the current carry it thru the light. As soon as it hits the sweet spot, the line goes tight and I start pedaling away from the light to avoid spooking any other fish. The fish tries to run under me and luckily I have made my way to the middle of the canal to avoid any obstacles that might impede my ability to stay upright. He fights hard, but it is a short fight. First cast of the night, first keeper red of the night at 22". I make a couple of more casts but the fish have scattered.

I move on to the next canal and hit a few of the lights, but no luck. To Shoffer's light I go. First cast and another hard fighting red that also gives up pretty quickly. Second redfish in the bag at 23". I circle around and throw my lure up to the other side of the dock. 1...2...3...4...bounce, bounce, fish on. 17" speck in the bag. I go a little deeper into the canals to the same light I caught a nice red last week. I am slightly out of position as I make the cast but the line takes off like a Tesla in Ludicrous mode. I miss getting the hook set but that's okay, I figured it was probably a gar anyway. I go back to a nice underwater green light and pick up a 16" trout. On the way back out of the canal, I hit the light again where the gar was. Not a gar. 26" red. I can't remember the last time I had a limit of reds from night fishing. It's about 3:45 now and I'm feeling kind of tired so I start making my way back to the launch. Of course, I have to pass Shoffer's light again so I might as well make a case or two, right? I was hoping for a flounder to round out my slam but ended up with another slot red. So now I'm playing catch and release with reds? What a night. Another cast? Another big slot red. Maybe I'm getting old and out of shape because my bicep is getting a little tired and I've only had to reel in 5 reds.

The wind has died down and if I wasn't so tired I would have made a run to the causeway. So instead I go back to my favorite light make a cast, land a slot red and a few rat reds, a little sand trout, and decide to call it a night/morning. It's about 5a and on the pedal back to the launch I am dreading having to clean the redfish. As I pass a small inlet between a couple of docks, I hear a massive feeding and see the splashing and ripples of what looks like a school of frenzied reds. Too tired to cast, I pedal past. Yeah right. I throw my Chicken Boy back into the frenzy and watch as the red rips out towards the open water. I get him to the yak and he's probably 18-19". I pull the hook and set him back on the water to catch another day.

All fish caught on Chicken Boy in glow/chartreuse and 3" Vudu shad in lime green.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: November 5, 2020 - Another night of catching 'em

Post by Ron Mc »

awesome report and a great haul.
We'll be in Arroyo Thurs night and 5 nights into next week, and I'l have a report following...
...this time with kayaks
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Great active fishing report, Mike! Too bad that Shoffer and I couldn't join you for that Tiki fishfest. At least "Shoffer's Light" was on duty illuminating some keeper gamefish...

I was waiting for this next cold front to improve our bayfishing, but looks like the bite is on now. As we head toward this next New Moon, let's pick a fish-window and hit it!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Glad you caught keepers and had a good night. Love the night light hunting. So much fun. Congrats Sir!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the report. Glad to hear night fishing is going well, I keep hearing people catching fish left and right during the day. Fall is a great time to be fishing.

To bad there are flounder, bull reds, and deer to complete with my limited free time :( a good problem to have I suppose