West Bay Drifts 10/13

OldTownYakBoi

West Bay Drifts 10/13

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Wind -NE 10-12 MPH
Temp-78
Tide - Outgoing

I launched around 7:30 AM and upon arrival was surprised to see 3 other trucks already there. I guess this weather is bringing all the fair weather guys out haha jk.

I peddled about a mile to the spot where I wanted to fish, there was plenty of bait, mainly mullet and good water movement. I spent about an hour working the area with no luck, and saw few signs of gamefish. Not sure what I was going to do next I made my way back to the launch and just drifted a large flat, which put me on the board for my first keeper trout. I poled down and fished the area hard but didn’t get another hit. I was near the end of the flat so I decided to restart the drift, I repeated this 3 more time picking up 2 more keepers and a few undersized guys. The interesting thing is that every time I caught a fish I poled down to work the area and the bite seemingly would shit down. Not sure if the fish were just on the move or spooky due to the minor hull slap of the kayak. Either way I was happy to have some fish in the boat, as the sun got high in the sky I called a break for lunch. I got home and cleaned these 3 guys to share with family for dinner.

That afternoon I was talking with my father about the trip and he asked if I wanted to take an afternoon trip with him. So after cleaning the fish I took a little break then it was back out to the bay for round 2.

We were in the water @ 330 and peddled to the nearby marsh area. My dad picked up a few keeper trout back to back near the launch, but other than that the evening was slow. It was going to be getting dark soon and we wanted to avoid mosquitos, so we headed back to the launch around 6:15. I was about 30 yards off a protected grassline working a soft plastic in hopes of a lucky bite. As I was working the bait I felt a nice nick on the line, I set the hook but it felt like a tiny fish, I even called out to my dad that it was small and I think I had lost it... It was at that moment the fish realized what was happening and took off like a flash of lightning. He zigged and zagged, running under my boat and into anything that could break me off. Finally after a solid little fight I netted this nice redfish. I don’t catch them all that often so it’s always a treat. All fish were caught on the 5 in Hogie below, chartreuse and purple with blue flash.Image

It always fun to share these moments with somebody you’re close to. Luckily I’m still able to get out and wet a line with my old man. Stay safe and tight lines everyone Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: West Bay Drifts 10/13

Post by Ron Mc »

Nice report and great photos - thanks for posting.
Again, if you check my East Flats report, cocahoe was queen, and I love blue tint lures (and so do the fish), but the color wasn't a factor for me - any color worked, just rig and fish them right.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 5#p2310965
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:Nice report and great photos - thanks for posting.
Again, if you check my East Flats report, cocahoe was queen, and I love blue tint lures (and so do the fish), but the color wasn't a factor for me - any color worked, just rig and fish them right.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 5#p2310965
Ron Im not certain the color was a factor, but when the water is as dirty as it was I like something flashy that screams look at me! One color that seems to work for me regardless of water clarity is pearl, not sure why though...

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

my algorithm is turbid water and sun gets bright colors like white, pink, chartreuse;
turbid overcast needs deep colors like purple;
low-angle light gets red,
and clear water gets blend colors.
Blue is especially good in the dark, and also fits in low light and turbid.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:my algorithm is turbid water and sun gets bright colors like white, pink, chartreuse; turbid overcast needs deep colors like purple; low-angle light gets red, and clear water gets blend colors. Blue is especially good in the dark, and also fits in low light and turbid.
Nice, thanks for the useful analysis

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Does anyone have a clue what kind of fish this is? I caught it about 10 min before the red. He had plenty of razor sharp teeth

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

lizardfish - bad omen to catch one.
it's also the season for them - most of your lures that get bitten in half, it's lizardfish.
They don't get longer than 8" - you have a lunker there.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &p=2276877

however, in spite of Caribe guides who say if you begin the day with a lizardfish, you won't catch anything else.
On the morning I began with one, also caught this red

Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldTownYakBoi

West Bay Drifts 10/13

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:lizardfish - bad omen to catch one.
it's also the season for them - most of your lures that get bitten in half, it's lizardfish.
They don't get longer than 8" - you have a lunker there.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &p=2276877

however, in spite of Caribe guides who say if you begin the day with a lizardfish, you won't catch anything else.
On the day I began the morning with one, I also caught this red

I need some more bad omens bc right after this guy I caught the redfish lol. He was a tank around 15-16 inches. Thanks for the clarification

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

but if you come home skunked, have a great excuse - show the lizardfish photo
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Good detailed report, Yak Boi. Am enjoying your observations on lure color. Two of my favorite Fall colors are green & blue.

You must be hungry to go yak fishing twice a day. Keep up the good work! And watch out for those nasty lizardfish which remind me of the equally nasty alligator gar.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Good detailed report, Yak Boi. Am enjoying your observations on lure color. Two of my favorite Fall colors are green & blue.

You must be hungry to go yak fishing twice a day. Keep up the good work! And watch out for those nasty lizardfish which remind me of the equally nasty alligator gar.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
I was extra mad at em that day Don Image