Friday Surprise

OldTownYakBoi

Friday Surprise

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Please refer to the last few reports for conditions.

I wanted to change it up today so I started early, fishing the rock groins on the Seawall. I saw no bait or predator activity, so after about 40 min I went for a drive. I didn’t see many birds anywhere so I found an area where there weren’t too many people and waded in. I threw plastics and DOA shrimp for around 45 min with not much interest. I then put on the ole chrome mirrodine and begin working it at varying speeds. Over the next 40 min I pick up two under slot pecs no more than 12 in. I decided to stick with the lure bc it was the only thing i got interest with, but decided to change the rhythm a bit. I began casting out then ripping the plug as fast and erraticly as I could back to me. I worked the lure like this for about 5 min until I felt a huge thump on the end of my line, a slight pause, then screaming drag, fish on! I was pumped to have something quality, but was almost certain it would be a pesky black tip... The fish zigged and zagged, running at extreme speeds. Once close I spotted a dorsal fin and started running through how I was going to get this damn shark off. I finally get it to the surface and have develop the biggest shit eatin grin on my face, in my net I have a nice 22 in, to the fork, Spanish Mackerel. I haven’t caught one in over four years, they are one of my favorite to catch and my favorite eating fish.

I fished for about 30 min longer with a few hits before calling it a day, I was out of the water by 9.

There’s definitely much bigger fish out there,
but this one is special to me;4 long years I waited! It’s not just the fish, it’s the experience, the highs and the lows. This is why I fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by OldTownYakBoi on Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Friday Surprise

Post by karstopo »

That’s a beauty. Great sashimi fish.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

karstopo wrote:That’s a beauty. Great sashimi fish.
Thanks, he was a blast to catch! Really? I’ve never heard that, might have to try it next time I catch one.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks for the report

here's Whit's ceviche recipe
Spiny Norman wrote: One med Spanish Mackerel filleted (Speckled Trout is my second choice but any firm white fish works. Spanish macks are the traditional species for this recipe). Scrape the meat off the skin with a fork and mash into a bowl. With the trout it easier to just slice it up paper thin. Squeeze on top 4 to 6 Key limes. You can substitute regular limes but I don't think it taste nearly as good.

Let it sit for about 30 to 45 minutes indoors or about 15 to 20 minutes in the sun. Turn it a couple of times during the cooking process. When the fish has turned white/opaque, add in;

1/2 a med white onion finely chopped
1 med tomato finely chopped
about a Tbsp of fresh chopped cilantro
1 or 2 finely chopped serrano peppers
1 finely chopped carrot. (Optional)
(You can chop up all of this while the the fish is soaking.)

Mix well and serve with corn chips and Salsa Huichol. (Salsa Huilchol isn't the best by far but it is IMHO the best to serve with Ceviche.)
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Funny how the speedy fork-tailed fish like Spanish Mackerel will chase down a lure ripped through the water... I rarely try that tactic on specks and Redfish, but it sure works on Jack Crevalle.

About 20 years ago I hooked a 25-lb Jackfish next to the Texas City Dike on a glow 4" Bass Assassin. It pulled my yak into the Ship Channel where I had to dodge huge freighter ships and acquired an audience of 3 powerboats tailing me on my fun sleighride. I was going so fast in my kayak I probably could have pulled a water skier!

About 45 minutes later I landed the monster on my lap to a standing ovation from my powerboat fans. The fish stank bad and was uneatable, but I released it feeling on top of the world. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

When the clean water hits the T-head at the Galveston Fishing Pier I will take my son and one if his friends out there and let them rip silver spoons tied to wire leaders thru the water and they will slay the spanish mackerels. It is one of their favorite things to do.
Wag

Post by Wag »

Thanks for the report! I also love these fish, but I almost never land them when fishing for other fish...they always seem to bite through my leader. Nice going!
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:thanks for the report

here's Whit's ceviche recipe
Spiny Norman wrote: One med Spanish Mackerel filleted (Speckled Trout is my second choice but any firm white fish works. Spanish macks are the traditional species for this recipe). Scrape the meat off the skin with a fork and mash into a bowl. With the trout it easier to just slice it up paper thin. Squeeze on top 4 to 6 Key limes. You can substitute regular limes but I don't think it taste nearly as good.

Let it sit for about 30 to 45 minutes indoors or about 15 to 20 minutes in the sun. Turn it a couple of times during the cooking process. When the fish has turned white/opaque, add in;

1/2 a med white onion finely chopped
1 med tomato finely chopped
about a Tbsp of fresh chopped cilantro
1 or 2 finely chopped serrano peppers
1 finely chopped carrot. (Optional)
(You can chop up all of this while the the fish is soaking.)

Mix well and serve with corn chips and Salsa Huichol. (Salsa Huilchol isn't the best by far but it is IMHO the best to serve with Ceviche.)
Thank you! Will have to catch a few more so o can try this one

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Funny how the speedy fork-tailed fish like Spanish Mackerel will chase down a lure ripped through the water... I rarely try that tactic on specks and Redfish, but it sure works on Jack Crevalle.

About 20 years ago I hooked a 25-lb Jackfish next to the Texas City Dike on a glow 4" Bass Assassin. It pulled my yak into the Ship Channel where I had to dodge huge freighter ships and acquired an audience of 3 powerboats tailing me on my fun sleighride. I was going so fast in my kayak I probably could have pulled a water skier!

About 45 minutes later I landed the monster on my lap to a standing ovation from my powerboat fans. The fish stank bad and was uneatable, but I released it feeling on top of the world. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
They love that shiny fast stuff haha. Sounds like one hell of a catch and a little sketchy haha. It’s been many many years since I’ve caught a Jack, that’s next on my list

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

mwatson71 wrote:When the clean water hits the T-head at the Galveston Fishing Pier I will take my son and one if his friends out there and let them rip silver spoons tied to wire leaders thru the water and they will slay the spanish mackerels. It is one of their favorite things to do.
I bet they love that. Hard to not have a smile on your face when one of these guys is ripping around on the end of your line

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Wag wrote:Thanks for the report! I also love these fish, but I almost never land them when fishing for other fish...they always seem to bite through my leader. Nice going!
No problem, they really are a blast to catch. I lucked out, this guy had good aim and the hook set was perfect. I was using 12lb mono

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

OldTownYakBoi wrote:..., they really are a blast to catch. I lucked out, this guy had good aim and the hook set was perfect. I was using 12lb mono
yes, that was lucky - when targeting them, I use 12-lb wire leader.

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:
OldTownYakBoi wrote:..., they really are a blast to catch. I lucked out, this guy had good aim and the hook set was perfect. I was using 12lb mono
yes, that was lucky - when targeting them, I use 12-lb wire leader.

I wonder if my snap swivel helped at all... just giving a little more space between the mainline and the lure may have saved me. Always use snaps when I’m in the surf, gotta make it easy on yourself

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

check out these Mako titanium micro bite traces from Russia

the ebay vendor is reliable, but it takes a long time to get them here.
Titanium wire is a lot tougher than stainless - you can knot both single-strand and braid (it won't tie a haywire twist) and it stretches far before it breaks. .
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

karstopo wrote:That’s a beauty. Great sashimi fish.
Here is a nice and very simple recipe for broiled mackerel -- probably my favorite way to cook smacks...