Another kayak/surf trip

mwatson71

Another kayak/surf trip

Post by mwatson71 »

Launched right at 4a at Tiki and the current was ripping. I had to pedal pretty aggressively just to stay in place. But I knew exactly where I wanted to go and when I got there, I could see bait everywhere in the current. First cast provided me with a 19" red. As I unhooked it, I must have drifted 75 yards. Another cast another fish, but this one popped free before I could see it. I continued drifting this current for about 30-45 minutes which yielded a 24" red and a 16" speck. Also another red that almost made it and a couple of undersized specks. Tried the causeway and only managed a dink trout. I was back at the launch around 6a and loaded up to try my luck at the surf again.

Reached the beach a little before 7a. The water was rough, but not as rough as it was yesterday. If it was fishable yesterday, I may as well give it a try today. A few others thought it was a good day to wade as well so I wasn't able to get my favorite spot but it's a big ocean, right? A quick bite but drag was too loose and never got the hook set. No more bites for the next 20 minutes or so. I got a few more bites but no fish to the net. I packed up, made a couple of calls, and decided to give it a few more casts. Do you sense that I have a problem? The waves settled down a bit and after about ten minutes I got a soft hit but a strong run. Managed to get an 18" speck into the net. Fished for another 10-15 minutes with no luck so packed it up and headed home.

Back to the house by 9:45.

*edit* The red had a partially digested 7" shad in it belly. look how fat it was.
Attachments
IMG_3365.jpg
IMG_3364.jpg
Last edited by mwatson71 on Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Another kayak/surf trip

Post by kickingback »

You are in favor of the fishing Gods Sir! Well done and glad you can sneak in some solid fishing. :clap:
Wag

Post by Wag »

Great outcome but even greater effort! Thanks for the report!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Congrats on getting out again and finding some fish! An adventurous outing with those big tides. I avoid the south side of Tiki with tides of 2' plus, too much effort just to hold position. Or get back after a catch, like you saw!
Course would be a good time to get to Greens Lake!!
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

That red was fat! Good job sir, thanks for the report.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

That red was fat! Good job sir, thanks for the report.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bibila

Post by Bibila »

Congrats! :clap: Thanks for sharing! I really enjoy all the posts here so far.