06/02/2020 Quickie to Tiki

mwatson71

06/02/2020 Quickie to Tiki

Post by mwatson71 »

I woke up at 3:17a dreaming of a tagged redfish. Crazy, huh? ***SPOILER ALERT*** I did not catch a tagged red this morning.

But I did decide to drive down for a quick morning trip because I knew there was a minor starting around 4a and I thought I could catch the tail end of it. And yes, my kayak is STILL loaded and ready to go as it has been since this whole COVID-19 thing started. So I grab a coule of rods, throw them in the car, and book it down. Tiki is the closest spot I know where I might find a tagged red, so I launch right at 4:45 and by 5a had my first red on the stringer. I tied some tandem rigs last night and this one hammered it and took me for a little ride, stripping line as she went. On the stringer at 24".

I spin around and go back to the same light. Another cast, another red, this one just shy of 20". Not gonna' lie, I thought this was the tagged one. Coming in it looked to be the right size and more silver in color. Once in the net, I checked for tags but none to be found. And it was about 1/4 inch shy of stringer length. Dropped her back, spun back to the light, just to see if there was another in there. Two casts later, another puller. Strong red, no tag, and about 1/4 inch short.

It was about 5:45 so I thought I might have time to hit the causeway so I hauled butt over to the causeway to see if I could find a trout or two. I fished the lights for about 20 minutes with not a bite to be had. Left fish to find fish. Mistake.

Headed back to the launch and was off the water by 7a headed north.

Decided to turn around and hit the surf. I'm already down here, right? So I drive to my favorite little beach and see a few guys in the surf. I pick one and think, "if he catches a fish in five casts, I'm staying." On the third cast I watch, fish on. He walks in a 17" speck. I tell him I was watching him to decide if it was worth getting wet. he tells me he and his buddy have put 8 in the box in an hour but it is slowing down and starting to get rough. Stay or go?

Stay. It takes me about 45 seconds to get to waist deep water and I throw a white Vudu shad that caught a couple for me in the surf last week. A couple of casts into it and something takes it but then the line goes limp. Something took the back half off of a Vudu shad. Never happened to me before. I have caught dozens of fish on one Vudu shad before.

i run back to the car and grab another rod, the one with the tandem still on it. Throw for about ten minutes and then something starts stripping line.

I'll never know what it was as it bent the hook on a 1/8 oz H&H jighead.

I needed to get home for some work stuff so I just packed in it after that and headed back to H-town. A fun fun fun morning, but only one red in the box to show for it.
Attachments
IMG_3327.jpg
IMG_3326.jpg
IMG_3325.jpg
IMG_3325.jpg
Last edited by mwatson71 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: 06/02/2020 Quicky to Tiki

Post by shoffer »

Way to pound out that quickie, Watson, but it appears that whilst in the middle of it, you bent your hook.
YakRunabout

Re: 06/02/2020 Quicky to Tiki

Post by YakRunabout »

Excellent - congrats on getting out. So, insomnia has its upside!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: 06/02/2020 Quickie to Tiki

Post by kickingback »

Too bad your not entered in the CCA tourney! :lol: I know you have your card for sure brother Michael. It will be a churn to get any tagged fish but when you do you will be rewarded! Hope I'm there to witness your catch! Well done and great report. :clap:
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Great read, I'm in need of some fishing therapy. My truck is acting up so I have to work on it in hopes of fixing it. Might have to take the ol ladys car to the surf this weekend. Thanks for sharing sir!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Johnny5455 wrote:Great read, I'm in need of some fishing therapy. My truck is acting up so I have to work on it in hopes of fixing it. Might have to take the ol ladys car to the surf this weekend. Thanks for sharing sir!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Surf is full of trout right now.