A weather window opened wide –

YakRunabout

A weather window opened wide –

Post by YakRunabout »

Over the weekend we looked at the various weather forecasts for the coming week with dismay due to the steady diet of high winds and rain. Then a weather window appeared – could we fit an outing into that time period? We went for it on Wednesday morning (6:30AM-1:00PM) and were rewarded with ideal weather – The overnight winds and rain died down by the time of our dawn launch and held off until we were off the water!
20200514_075051.jpg
P5131308.JPG
P5131313.JPG
Too bad the fish action did not cooperate nearly as well. We launched off of Sportsman Rd hoping the width of the island would give some wind protection in that marsh. The air and water temp were mid 70's. A strong incoming tide through the morning. The bait was there, the birds were there, the water was moving, the moon overhead gave a nice bite window - but the predators were not evident!

But - - not all was in vain – I had two fish on the line through the day, both keepers and both among the feistiest fish I have ever caught.

The first was a fat 18” flounder – this guy was all battle. Now, all flounder have a strong flopping action, which they often save for when they get in the boat, but not this one – he was all action from the git go. He dodged the net a few times, once I had him all lined up, coming towards the kayak, straight to the net, and a couple strong twitches launch him over the net and into the kayak right behind my seat!

The other was a fat 25” red fish. We were fishing an area that has given me redfish in the past, but today was being stingy! So, I changed the presentation a bit and did a slower retrieve, letting the jerk shad sink. Then this guy was on! One mistake on my part was that the drag was set a bit light for a fish of this capability. But I have learned not to mess with the drag during a battle unless I have to. So, he had free rein to run and he took full advantage – runs out, under the boat a few times curving the rod to its max – a fun time!
P5131316.JPG
Moral of the story – if you see a window – take it.
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: A weather window opened wide –

Post by Johnny5455 »

Well done sir! Way to grind it out to catch a couple nice fish.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk