A hit and run at a green light –

YakRunabout

A hit and run at a green light –

Post by YakRunabout »

We went fishing at some lights in west bay. The redfish were active – They would hit hard and run like the dickens! It is fun trying to corral a jazzed up, spirited redfish! I caught a 21”, 23” and a 24”, while Mike had a 23” and 24”. We also each had several undersized – still a nice battle!
An odd aspect was that most lights had no apparent fish, though I caught two of my keepers at this type of light. And there were a few lights that had a dozen or so large redfish prowling around near the surface. I pulled an undersized one out of a group like this, where the lure was struck on entering the light, but not enough to scatter the fish, then taken and on the hook by one on the other side of the light.
I also caught the 23” one at a dim light that had a few fish a bit deeper, but still visible. I made a few passes of the lure on the edge of the light area, no hits, but no scattering either. Then I got the lure right across the middle of the lighted area and got to see the red following and taking the lure as I brought it across – nice to watch the strike in progress! Then, of course, the battle was on!! It was a redfish after all.
The review above was for areas with some wind and so some surface disturbance. We also encountered areas with no wind, no apparent water movement and a flat, smooth water surface. In these areas there were still active redfish, but any little disturbance would immediately scatter these fish! At one I made a cast a few feet past the light area, just where I wanted it, and Bam – the fish were gone!
All in all – a satisfying night!!
Water temp was a few degrees below the air temp, upper 60’s – lower 70’s. Winds were moderate to light to none – never a problem. Tides were near high when we launched and were to be going out. I never noticed much flow related to this.
All of my reds were taken with a DSL burner shad, white ice on a 1/16oz jig head. They are pretty durable – most of mine and all of the keepers, were on the same lure. I had to re-rig it a few times, and even turned it upside down so it would stay on the jig. This was enough to catch the 23” one. I changed out the lure after that one!

Enjoy your next outing – make it soon!
Attachments
One of Mike's - blinded by my headlamp!
One of Mike's - blinded by my headlamp!
One of mine
One of mine
My 3 in a PA14 bin
My 3 in a PA14 bin
Last edited by YakRunabout on Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YakRunabout

Re: A hit and run at a green light –

Post by YakRunabout »

A final shot of the evening -
Attachments
IMG_0534.JPG
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great fish, great story, great photos - thanks for posting.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Well done, Men. Thanks for the great report. I have often caught my night reds lurking at the bottom, while trout tend to hit it in the middle.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Another great outing Ken. Thanks for posting.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

I have often caught my night reds lurking at the bottom, while trout tend to hit it in the middle.
I agree - my PB red for some time was one caught at some lights, towards the bottom as you say. It is usually trout that I see on the surface. Caught no trout on this night in the lights, and just a couple undersized before sunset -

As I mentioned a few lights had a lot of reds on the surface. Once these scattered we moved on and when we passed them again later, they again were full of reds on the surface. Not sure why those lights were selected when there were similar ones right next to them.

We have also found that having ducks on the surface above lights is a good sign for fish. Not sure who attracts who in this pairing, just know it has worked.
texoma1231

Post by texoma1231 »

Great report and good information.!!!!! Thanks !!
OUTLAW

Post by OUTLAW »

Great pic. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Is this a recent report or were these fish caught last year?

Just messin' with you. Great job and great report. I had a feeling there were some solid fish in the lights already, I just haven't had the time to get out there to find them. Congrats on getting it done.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

mwatson - LOL
You are correct, sir! Undefined -