Estes Flats - July 20, 2019

Neumie
Site Admin

Estes Flats - July 20, 2019

Post by Neumie »

Drove down to Rockport Friday after my nephews 3rd birthday with plans on fishing hard for the next day and a half. Plan was to get out early on Estes and make a quick drift for reds before popping out into front bay for trout. I got down to the tiny house around 10:30, had a couple beers and called it a night for my 4:15 am alarm.

After a quick stop at Stripes for a breakfast taco and ice I pulled into Palm Harbor RV just before 5 am. Out of courtesy I killed my headlights, turned off my radio, and made sure I didn't shut my doors to loudly. I launched right at 5:30 with my 260 light and a my headlight set to strobe.

As I made my way to the point of Talley Island I heard some bait getting crushed and setup for a quick drift the shoreline. I had a few small blow ups before I decided to continue on to Yucca Cut (Big Cut) for a drift down the back side of Traylor Island.

I started chunking my Spook Jr. and was getting blow ups and hook ups right away. The initial plan was to make one drift before heading out, but the action was good and I strung up two reds. I reset for a second drift, and although I was still getting action the slot reds were no longer playing, so I popped out to the other side of Traylor Island for trout.

I made one drift into the island but it was pretty crowded with powerboaters I decided to stake out and wade with artificials. I waded for about an hour without a single bite. Watching the power boaters to the left and right to me it didn't look like they were having much luck either.

I went back into Estes Flats and tried to find one more red to complete my limit. Threw Grasswalker and Footloose crankbait. Made four more drifts across Estes and caught a couple rat reds before I decided to call it a day. As I pulled up to the launch site I experienced something which has never happened in 16+ years of kayak fishing at the coast; I was checked by Game Wardens. Of course it was all professional and we went each others ways.

Time: 5:30 am - 11:00 am
Air Temp: 83-86°F
Wind: S @ 5 kn - 10 kn, gusting 15+ kn
Barometric Pressure: 1015 mb (rising through morning)
Sky: Sunny
Water Clarity: 2-3 feet
Water Temp: 86°F
Structure: Grass on Flats, Sand & Grass in Bay

Predicted Tides @ Port Aransas:
High @ 11:30 am (0.92 ft)

Solunar:
Sunrise/set: 6:44 am/8:25 pm
Moonrise/set: 10:34 pm (19th)/9:57 am
Moon Phase: Waning Gibbous (87%)

Lures:
Silver Mullet Spook Jr.
Chrome/Blue Footloose
Birthday Suit TS Grasswalker
Tequila Gold Bull Minnow on 1/16 oz jighead

Fish:
Red: 2 keepers, 7 undersized

SWFinatic

Re: Estes Flats - July 20, 2019

Post by SWFinatic »

Solid reds! Thanks for the detailed report.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

now I'm jealous. Great photos.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Love your reports! Great info and pictures! Thanks for posting!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I forgot to mention that the bite practically shut down by 7 am. I may have have caught one more undersized red after that time, but it was pretty non-existent after 7.

Also, I snapped my rudder cable early this morning too. I forgot how badly the Search 15 weather-vanes without a rudder. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later from a visual inspection, but I was hoping to make it through this trip without it popping. I guess it was due at some point given the hours, miles, and age (12+ years). Going to replace with Hobie Spectra instead of SS cables.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Neumie wrote:...Also, I snapped my rudder cable early this morning too. I forgot how badly the Search 15 weather-vanes without a rudder. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later from a visual inspection, but I was hoping to make it through this trip without it popping. I guess it was due at some point given the hours, miles, and age (12+ years). Going to replace with Hobie Spectra instead of SS cables.
having made that mod, just keep in mind you're going to need some thin single-strand leader wire to pull the spectra through cable sleeves - can't push the stuff.
Plus you have to make a really neat twist around the cut end of the spectra.
My leader wire is Malin Hardwire, 25-lb. 0.010" - fairly inexpensive where you can find it.
Academy sells it in the right bundle, but you may have to shop around to find the right diameter - you're going to have to seize a tight coil around the end of the spectra. (Best way is to seize it before you cut the spectra)
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/malin- ... eel-leader
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:having made that mod, just keep in mind you're going to need some thin single-strand leader wire to pull the spectra through cable sleeves - can't push the stuff.
Plus you have to make a really neat twist around the cut end of the spectra.
My leader wire is Malin Hardwire, 25-lb. 0.010" - fairly inexpensive where you can find it.
Academy sells it in the right bundle, but you may have to shop around to find the right diameter - you're going to have to seize a tight coil around the end of the spectra. (Best way is to seize it before you cut the spectra)
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/malin- ... eel-leader
If I remember correctly back at my days at JerryBs kayak shop we just used a shop vac and sucked the line through the tube. May not work today, because it looks like they're using a thicker spectra than 10 years ago. My only issue is I need a quick disconnect at the rudder connection so I can remove the rudder easily to attach my light rig for traveling down the highway. Initial thought was to use SS shackles, but am thinking of other options.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I tried shop vac focused with 1/2" tygon tubing, and it didn't work for me - it would travel through the housing, but wouldn't come through the pinched housing ends -
- that part required a steady pull to force some stretch in the housing end and let it through - part of the problem is the ends of the spectra flare at least a little now matter how you do it.
good luck on the quick-release, and would like to see what you come up with
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Nice pics and report! Thanks for sharing.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Very nice. Like your report format.