Wading the west side of freeport surf

Gage5602

Wading the west side of freeport surf

Post by Gage5602 »

We left around 4:30 and got there around 6 in the morning we waded / swam out to the 3 bar first cast with a down south chicken on the chain was a 15 and a 1/2 in trout I proceeded to catch about 45 trout of this same size for 20 minutes. I only kept the fish that were 16 in or over. Then they stopped biting and a had only kept 6 of that bunch I proceeded to get bites for about and hour these fish were much larger 18 to 22 in each of them were either caught on tsl grass walker with a weight worm hook an I also use a mirrolure suspender to catch my last fish to scratch out my official 10 fish limit with one sand trout. We were with in sight of the Freeport jetties. Hope this helps. :dance: :horse: :mrgreen:. Pictures coming soon.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Wading the west side of freeport surf

Post by kickingback »

Good day! Limits are nice to have especially since they go to 5 in Sep!

But hey you can carry brass knuckles in Sep also so all is well! :clap:
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the report. Can you explain the third bar? I've fished random parts of surfside beach and can walk to the 2nd bar, but I always figured the 3rd is too deep to stand on because I tried to swim to it before and never found it before I figured I should come back.

Is the 3rd bar only accessible closer to the jetties? Or do you need something like ultra low tides?
Gage5602

Post by Gage5602 »

Chubs i went back to my post and saw i never replied but the third bar is accessible even on high tide its very similar to the 2nd bar the only difference is that the gut between the second and third is deeper in best regards in a further note i only had one really good at the surf this year and it was in the middle of the day on a strong tide .
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

This post this time of year had me scratching my head, but then I saw it was revived from the summer. I do always mean to try the surf in the winter, but never get to it. When I lived at Surfside, the latest I fished was December and actually caught some nice trout off the beachfront rocks in early December, but that was not wading rather bombing out a topwater from the top of the rocks.

Bars and guts vary up and down the beach. The pedestrian beach and straight down from the bridge can have some steep short guts and abrupt shallow bars. Things tend to flatten out as you move north and east. That mile or so from the Surfside jetty really changes a lot with different tides.

The third bar, I used to fish it more than I do now, but I will still wade/swim out there if something going on with the bait catches my eye. Yes, the gut in between the second and third bar tends to be too deep to wade. The third bar tends to be around waist deep. These past several summers, most of the trout I get are in the first gut or along the next bar, called the second bar or just outside it. Last summer was a bust for the most part because I barely got in some surf fishing. One notable trip was an August wade where it was about a fish every cast and that was mostly just make short casts anywhere action. I stood in thigh deep water with a minimal break and a calm wind.

Don’t ignore the first and second guts and bars thinking the fish must be out on the third bar.