Lighthouse Lakes bust

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Lighthouse Lakes bust

Post by Ron Mc »

Don't know what to say about this one, except the weather worked against us.
It looked really good on paper, two days of neek tide followed by a strong tide.
Image(this is Port A tide, and AP tide was shift everything about 2 hours to the left)
We have never not caught fish in the LHL pass on a falling tide - Steve and I took our growing daughters there to paddle and kidfish
We both had new toys to get to LHL - I haven't tried my Kestrel in the salt, I bought this boat as a wadefishing taxi, and this is a perfect spot for it.
Steve had a new reel with two rods he wanted to get wet.
I saw this tide two weeks ago, even let TexasJim and Tombo know we were coming down.
Jim joined us, but Tom called me the night before, and was fished out, from a great Saturday on LHL with 2 big trout (26+ and 23"), and 2 slot reds - that's a day in anybody's book. Good thing you didn't make this one Tom.

What I expected was cross the channel at LHL and be on fish at first light. The weather men didn't predict this one - we left San Antonio at 3:30a driving through a monsoon that covered 20 counties. On doppler, the whole thing was slowly circling around SA. We finally drove out of it south of 3 Rivers.
Launching at LHL, the predicted 3-kt S wind was more like 10-kt out of the NNE and the sky looked like more was coming.
Here's the only shot I got of Jim, cropped out, of course
But my camera sequential frames also grabbed this one, which really shows the texture of the sky to the NE.
If the morning had a redeeming quality, with a little bit of light rain mixed in and the building N wind, it was actually chilly for most of the morning - June 30.
I don't think Jim likes to wade and while he paddled, and after paddling in for a look, Steve and I paddled back and tried fishing the cut with the wind to our backs.
Those two guys above Steve were also on the concentration of bait, but I don't think they did any better than we did.
ImageThe baitfish were exactly where I predicted, heavily concentrated from the pass to just past those next cuts.
But instead of a strong outgoing tide, the wind current coming down Aransas Channel was pouring into LHL, creating a strong incoming tide.
We went through everything we had, topwaters, SS3, cocahoes, grasswalkers weighted and unweighted.
When I picked up the flyrod, I began hauling in pinfish, so Steve said that counts as no skunk - doesn't work for me.
Adding insult to injury, a big sow trout made a feeding slash right in front of us.
While we were wading there, we witnessed strong incoming current, the wind finally laid a bit, and the tide finally took over, pulling water out of LHL again.
We gave up on the original plan, and paddled back into LHL, especially exploring the lakes to the south, where Tom found fish yesterday.
Here, paddling about due east, still no sun
No fish sign anywhere, we finally just staked boats and went wading on good hardpack bottom.
ImageDid see pods of finger mullet in the surface ripples, nothing feeding on them, but I began casting my grasswalker across the finger mullet. Finally got a small trout to attack the lure a few times.
About 11:30a (beer thirty), the sun finally broke out, and after the implied break, we paddled back to the cut.
You can see how clear the water was in the lakes
ImageBack with the original plan at the pass, this time from the south slope, the tide was doing what we wanted, but all we could get were half-hearted strikes from tourist trout.
Of course crossing the channel on the way out, something big was slashing bait in a big way - maybe jacks that came up the channel for my tide.
Loading boats was the only time it got hot.
my T160 has never been able to keep up with Stevo's turbo-fin Revo 16. The Kestrel turns that around - Steve has to work a little extra to keep up with me in my light-fishing wading taxi.
I've also gotten really confident and relaxed with the boat's low initial stability, balancing myself with the thigh straps, and using the thigh straps to lean and turn.
I count the day as a great time. Only Jerry knows this one, but I cracked my skull in a bicycle wreck 3 weeks ago, haven't been able to get in my normal calorie rides. So getting out today, paddling and wading out some energy was just what I wanted - happy even without fish.

There was still a lot of traffic crossing the channel yesterday, as well as power boats running the channel. I noticed something new - about half of the boats would come off plane and wave kayakers across the channel - of course, keep watching for that other half.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JW FunGuy

Re: Lighthouse Lakes bust

Post by JW FunGuy »

It’s always good just to get out and breath some salt air Ron and I’m glad to see you did. I woke up to storms early Sunday AM and was thinking about you and your trip wondering how it was.
AND! I know this was more about getting your new Kestral out and seeing how all your rigging worked. :) She looks pretty darn good I must say! :clap:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks Jerry - I know she breaks 5kt crossing the channel (and any time I get on it).
I also put my fanny pack with reels low in the stern hatch, my ice mule with liquids low in the bow hatch - both help with stability.
I came out with the fly rod rigged, the 3-pc bait rod tube stowed under the sternwell net, and found a way to transport both rigged rods with my bungee lashing.
bones72

Post by bones72 »

Yep that Kestrel looks like a nimble, quick little boat. Honestly I'd have been overjoyed with pin fish and tourist trout (not sure if your talking undersized specks or sand trout). I saw that storm on the radar when I got up Sunday morning about 4 or so. Looked like a good bit of rain and it had come through my area too ruining my plans to get on a creek. Thought I'd go this morning but it was raining again. I don't mind the rain but the creek I want to get on is small and narrow and washes out easy. Glad ya'll got out and had a good time even if the fish were slow.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks friend
tourist trout
bones72

Post by bones72 »

Got it. :D
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Pictures look great, I hope to get back in the salt soon. Saving to get my Vhf radio/GPS and fish bag soon. Having to rebalance my yak as there is way too much stuff with lunch in the back and not much up front.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

That always depends on the boat - Steve can totally jam up the back of his Revo (the big bag will end up there, too) and it doesn't seem to affect stability, even though the boat is under 28" wide. (The Kestrel is 26" wide.)
If I could have found a Kestrel 160 SOT, would have certainly grabbed it, but the 140 is marginal for my 6'3", 210 lbs, and from the first paddle I found ballast up front really helped me in it.
Still, the boat is a hoot to paddle - and it only weighs 39 lbs, which makes picking it up and carrying it always surprising.
The boat also seems to be wind-proof, the exception is reaching waves make you pucker and use all your balance skills.

Also bought this boat because it is just plain fun to play, was the last OS demo boat available anywhere. If I had the $1900 they were last asking retail for the Kestrel 140SOT, I wouldn't have bought this boat, but would probably have applied it to a new Kazkazi. But for $950, it was too cool to let go. If you really want one, CD will take custom orders on this boat, but again, at that price, there are definitely other hand-laid kevlar and carbon boats to look at.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Bummer about how y'all's day turned out, but great report nonetheless. It's got me wanting to get salty again, just not 4th of July weekend.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Josh, I was really happy to get out - I was overnight in the hospital 3 weeks ago (I looked liked a Wes Craven movie, better now)
Smart choice about saving your salt time for Not next weekend.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: Lighthouse Lakes bust

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Ron Mc wrote: I was overnight in the hospital 3 weeks ago (I looked liked a Wes Craven movie, better now)
Sounds like your doing well now and glad to hear it! Head injury can be scary stuff!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk