Hot day of kayak fishing in West Galveston Bay and Cooking Redfish Japanese style

MontleyYak

Hot day of kayak fishing in West Galveston Bay and Cooking Redfish Japanese style

Post by MontleyYak »

I was in the water by 7:30am and the water level was still high but it was an outgoing tide. The wind was around 10 mph and temp was fairly cool for the morning. Since the water was still higher than usual, it was still hard to see any tailing fish. However, I kept my eyes open for any blow ups and paid close attention to the grass lines.
Finally my patient paid off. I saw a beautiful redfish tailing for a split second and disappear quickly. I patiently waited to see where it was going and placed my bait. Before you know it I was hooked up and started thinking about how I was going to cook it. Like usual, I made a short video and hope you guys enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/3VvnuyVYYq4
Thumbnail title3.jpg
P.S. Bring lots of water b/c it's starting to get really hot!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Hot day of kayak fishing in West Galveston Bay and Cooking Redfish Japanese style

Post by karstopo »

Never have I made redfish with a tempura batter, that method looks good. I have a couple of mid slot fillets parked in the fridge awaiting final disposition, tempura could be the way to go, let’s see what the wife has to say about that.

It was hot yesterday out in Surfside in spite or maybe because of a strong southerly breeze, the wind seemed a little more intense at Surfside than it appeared to be where you fished.

Thanks for the report.
MontleyYak

Re: Hot day of kayak fishing in West Galveston Bay and Cooking Redfish Japanese style

Post by MontleyYak »

Yes try it but make sure to eat it right away. It loses its crunchiness if you wait awhile.
Mullet Key

Post by Mullet Key »

'preciate the hydration reminder. It makes a difference!
potlicker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by potlicker »

so you consider that "Japanese food"? :)
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Potlicker is correct, tempura has European roots.

https://sushiyoshiboulder.com/tempura.php
MontleyYak

Post by MontleyYak »

karstopo wrote:Potlicker is correct, tempura has European roots.

https://sushiyoshiboulder.com/tempura.php

Wow, I seriously did not know that!! Thanks for the link...you learn something new everyday.