East Matagorda & the one that got away :(

TxAquatics

East Matagorda & the one that got away :(

Post by TxAquatics »

My fishing bud and I made a trip to east Matty, funny thing I made the 1st trip last year around this time frame, coincidence. We launched into the slough at rawlings bait camp, easy launch across the street. Paddled to the mouth leading into the bay. Two conditions against us, flooded marsh and high winds. I didn't know it was a full moon and winds were supposed to be 10mph more like 15mph. We commence to fishing. After an hour or so getting blown around no fish biting, I decide to wade around. I get a good thump on the DOA shrimp, nice flounder, landed him on the seat of my yak. At this point with all the flopping he did, somehow my anglers clip slipped off my hook, so I have a loose fish, holding him down with my hands, I reach over to get my net, and he slides right in between my net and seat into the water.....all I could do was watch in dispear. I know I should have picked him up by the head, I'm still replaying it over and over. Well I move on continue fishing, a couple of hits no takers. My bud also had little to no luck. Well that's it for this trip, I could've had a keeper flounder in the box, but wasn't meant to be. What are y'alls thoughts on fishing on a full moon morning?? I've heard, not good to fish and others say it's good.
Crusader

Re: East Matagorda & the one that got away :(

Post by Crusader »

Full moon can make it tougher -- they were probably feeding all night...
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Flounder are devils. I once had one literally in the bottom of the ice chest and it somehow defied gravity and escaped to freedom before I could close the lid.
TxAquatics

Post by TxAquatics »

Ok, thanks for the response guys. Makes sense, the full moon causes the feeding frenzy at night, shuts bite down in the day. Durn, Karstopo, a flounder escape from the ice chest, they are slippery devils and being flat they can fit through anything.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Thanks for the report. We had a trip to East Matty lil I we a week ago scheduled and cancelled worried about all the fresh water.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Good report! I LOVE fishing full moon. You can use the "night lite" to your advantage both day and night! I fish mostly at night in the summer to keep cool.
TxAquatics

Post by TxAquatics »

The water was still very brown, off color. I would give it another week. I went due to a day off and had to take advantage.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

My personal belief is that your rough trip was caused more by the wind than the full moon. It is hard to cast with high winds, so you don't make as many, and they are not as productive. The wind stirs up the water, leading to poor visability. If the winds are higher than 12-15 sustained, I am not going, unless I know I can fish in wind protection most of the day.