4-17-19 Magnolia Beach

Chubs

4-17-19 Magnolia Beach

Post by Chubs »

Been awhile since I posted on the forum. Been super busy with life and kids growing up too fast!

Anyway, had a work trip this week to one of my favorite locations - back to Port Lavaca!

just a one nighter so I grabbed a Whataburger and headed out for a wade.
Wind was horrible at 20 mph from the south east and all locations I could think of would suck in that wind. Wanted to try the PoC jetties but that seemed like a bad idea given the wind. Thought maybe Boggy again but felt like that was too far of a drive for a potential blow-out. So looked at the hook-n-line map and thought I'd give Magnolia beach a try due to it's wind orientation.

Got over there and patrolled the boat launch rocks a bit with a chatter bait with gulp on it, and a paddle tail. Wind was manageable so the spot was a good choice, but once you got past the beach a bit the wind would take your lure wherever it wanted. Baitcaster was having birds nest city. spinning rod did fine. Didn't catch anything there so moved further down the beach and swapped to a gold slab spoon to cut through the wind on the bait caster. That worked fine but still no fish. Real bad waves with the wind so very glad I left the new inflatable kayak at home.

Eventually moved over to a little bayou from Old Town Lake. Fished the mouth and the water was hauling butt into the lake - I assume due to the super high winds raising water levels in the bay. Tried the mouth a bit and nothing going on. I figure current was way to strong. Water was way over the grass along the bayou so I waded to a 3-way as far as I could then hung around for a bit since I started seeing blow-ups in the distance.
Hung my nice gold spoon up on some oysters at one point. I gave it up for lost and was going to break it off but at the last moment the treble bent and I got it back! Swapped to a DSL super model on a swimbait hook to fight the oyster/ grass/ and terri-bad wind. did ok, not as good as the spoon but it made it through the wind. had to fight pretty bad bows in my line though as casting. Sun going down at this point but was still seeing occasional blow-ups which made me keep grinding.

Eventually I hooked one up! didn't have my ruler but pretty sure I landed a skinny +20" red. woo hoo! 1st saltwater fish of the new year for me! - yes it's been that long :( Also nice to trust in my developing instincts that if I see blow-ups/ sign, then be persistence because the fish are there!

I wanted to CPR but in my excitement to finally go fishing I left my phone back in the truck, so all you get is this picture of a tap dancing monkey :dance: ! Fish released to fight another day.
Wag

Re: 4-17-19 Magnolia Beach

Post by Wag »

Nice report, Chubbs. Been there so many times. Glad you were able to hang in to land one!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report Chubs! Try to take a few pics to give us more fun to look at! :clap:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

any slot red fights with shoulders - we need to get you into a camera... :mrgreen: