28.5" 9lb Trout

TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

28.5" 9lb Trout

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I've been down in Baffin this week hitting some areas I like to fish. Friday I invited a buddy of mine (Brett Wheeler) down and I put him on this FAT 9lb fish. Pics were taken with my GoPro and don't do the fish justice at all. Big girth and shoulders for sure. For Scale Brett is 6'2 and 225. Fish was released to swim away. Also caught a humongous redfish at about 45 inches and 25 to 30 lbs. I caught the red but had him take the pic with it since i had the go pro on.

It's been windy, but that's nothing new for Baffin. Bite has been a little off with fish coming form a variety of baits. Big girl came from mud and grass on a TxChicken Fat boy, other fish came on DSLs, GrassWalkers, and a few on top. The bite has not been really aggressive with most of the fish biting near the bottom on soft plastics kept barely above the grass.

Always feed the fish what they want and not what you want to throw, many times we want to catch a fish on a certain lure and they just arnt in the mood to feed in that part of the water column. You don't have to throw the tackle box at them or go through all the colors, just think about lures as three categories; top, middle, and bottom. If you're not getting the bites you want on top switch to something in the middle (slow sink or suspending) or toward the bottom (soft plastic). Always the first priority is finding the fish first. Dynamite does not do real well when there's no fish present. So focus on finding them first and then read the water and the bite to find what they are wanting. Honestly when I'm down here I replicate exactly what is in our Big Trout dvd including everything from finding the areas to fish to reading the water, reading the bite, knowing when to fish or when to leave, and even what baits to use. Brett got to see if first hand today catching that fish 20 minutes into the first wade after I gave him a quick tutorial on working fat boys in shallow water. If you don't already have a dvd from us, start with that one and you'll see what we're made of and how beneficial and investment they are in your enjoyment of the outdoors. Brett said "total game changer".

https://troutsupport.com
Attachments
BrettBaffin1.jpg
BrettBaffin2.jpg
BrettBaffin2.jpg (35.46 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
BrettBaffin3.jpg
BrettBaffin3.jpg (33.56 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
BrettBaffin4.jpg
BrettBaffin4.jpg (36.56 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: 28.5" 9lb Trout

Post by kickingback »

Excellent Baffin report Tobin! :clap:
Glad you got out and caught some nice fish! Great details on how to find and hook up! I am always looking at the "one" factor I am missing when the bite is off. Like letting the bait swim "with" or across the current. Never into it. That is not natural for bait and fish will ignore it.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great job
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Nothing like getting “schooled” by Tobin. A little tongue in cheek but I always learn something new from his teachings!
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

Nice report! I'll have to look into your DVD's since I really need to accelerate my fishing knowledge. Were you able to get to those spots via kayak or just straight up wading?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Stud fish, that trout.

And look at that Baffin bay redfish.

If those fish can’t get you fired up, nothing will.
topwater trout

Post by topwater trout »

Nice tobin
CowboyFan
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by CowboyFan »

Beauty fish!!!! Was out in Baffin yesterday on the airboat for work.
There was millions of mullet out and spotted a few reds. Super calm and flat and all my fishing gear was at the house!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Great fishing report & impressive speck taken down in Baffin, Tobin!
The Fishing Attorneys award you the vaunted Big Fish trophy. Keep 'em coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

IMG_7635.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

LOL... yep that was me.

Yes you can actually reach that area by kayak.

since Saturday i've been on more little fish and some keeper reds. That Redfish was a giant, personal best for me; but give me a slot red any day.

I've got some great things coming down the pike soon for those that really want to increase their fishing knowledge. Will keep you all posted.