Happy Birthday fishing around Jones Bay.

TxAquatics

Happy Birthday fishing around Jones Bay.

Post by TxAquatics »

Tide: Low
Winds: 12mph NE
Water: Muddy, off color
Date: 12/23

I had a tough decision to make on my b-day; go fishing or go to a kid party with the family, ha fishing won!!
My buddy and I launched into a bayou around 1pm. The tide was low so we had to push pole out of the mud for a bit. Finally got to fishing grounds and no bites right away, tide was due to come in before 5pm so had time. I was throwing gulp jerk shad, zoom fluke, and doa cal shad, no live/dead bait on this outing. I made my way to drains and corners, nada still. Got too shallow after awhile, so decided to turn around cast every so often. I we had about another 1.5 hours of good sunlight left. I come up to a stretch of bayou where there is a drain and then a bend, I did see bait finally on the shore. I cast out the zoom fluke and feel the subtle tap, heavy line, set hook, nice, 1st fish on, little trout just under sized, cool. I back up the yak facing the opposite shore line, 2nd cast rat red, nice the bite turned on. Cast again, got a heavy thump right at the yak, set hook, and let a 23 inch red drum pull me around! It was a wonderful feeling on a 1000 series ultralight set up, peeling drag. I call my buddy over, come join the party. A few casts later, another solid hook up, 22 inch red drum. By now my second fluke was tore up so I changed to gulp, no hits. I take a closer look and little mullet were getting destroyed, so match the bait. Cast out the doa cal shad, dabbed with mullet scent, got another rat red and 2 keeper trout. I was hoping for that limit of reds, but no more copper red bruisers hit, oh well, I was all smiles none the less. My bud hooked up with a keeper trout. The bite was still on and the sun was almost gone, so we had to paddle back. By far my best day on the water, especially using artificials, knowing the right lure to use, and where to cast. This hooked me even more to kayak fishing.
Till next year gentlemen, tight lines!!
Attachments
20181223_210103.jpg
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Happy Birthday fishing around Jones Bay.

Post by shoffer »

A nice report. As shallow as it is, I have always found Jones Bay be hard and frustrating to fish, especially in the winter, but you clearly have more patience than me. Thanks for posting up.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Congrats on sticking with it and finding the fish! Sometimes it's a grind - but that's fishing - and ya learn a little more. A good outing so thanks for sharing.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report and well done on catching some nice keepers!
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

You sure stuck with it and kept searching til you found em. Those kind of days always make me smile also. Great fishing report!