Reds Crawling in Holly Beach

BlessedAngler

Reds Crawling in Holly Beach

Post by BlessedAngler »

Not a yak report. I was under the assumption that Holly Beach was closed, but when I arrived, I saw someone fishing from his kayak. Wanted to ask him where he launched from, but did not want to get close to him and possibly upset him. If anyone knows if this place remains closed or opened up again please let me know. If it is open are they using the same spot to launch from or a different one? Anyways, back to the fishing report. We drifted the North side of Holly Beach and ended up with an undersized red and a lower slot trout on Kwigglers Willow Tail/Mansfield Margarita. Decided to head to the North side and as we were drifting along one of the channels I noticed about 20 ft to the side of me the exposed back of a red in about 4-6" of water. I got down from the boat and went after him. A few cast later and it was FISH ON!!! Unfortunately, I lost him. As a matter of fact, I lost several upper slot reds that were crawling along the shoreline. I did end up with one fat 26" red on a 1/8 oz. Johnson Weedless Gold Spoon. Anyways, I attached a link to the video and you can see exactly where I was fishing. Hope you enjoy. Be safe and God Bless!]

https://youtu.be/2JXFaui0S40

Before you head out there please make sure the place has opened up again. No fish is worth getting a ticket.
Attachments
GH011109_ 10 (00.07.12.166) (3).png
GOPR1432.JPG
gotmuddy

Re: Reds Crawling in Holly Beach

Post by gotmuddy »

great report, where do you fish in holly beach, on google earth it looks like there arent any marshes?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

the grass from Stover Cove south looks great - and the boat channel that splits between Stover and Mesquite St.
It would be easiest to set up a drift on the grass with a N wind, and the paddle north would let you try the cove.
BlessedAngler

Post by BlessedAngler »

What Ron Mc said is correct. I usually fish around these spoil islands and to the west of them. I attached an image. The red circle are the spoils and the yellow is where I use to launch from. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't know if that launch spot has reopened. If you do go I hope you get them.
Attachments
IMG_0586.jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

here are two possible launch points listed on the kayak map, Rider St. and Mesquite Dr.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... jdG5uojp7k
From reading the Laguna Atascosa website, they are supposed to be opening Bayside Dr back up next year, which might let us get to Rattlesnake Bay at Red Head cove, and Realitos point.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:here are two possible launch points listed on the kayak map, Rider St. and Mesquite Dr.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... jdG5uojp7k
From reading the Laguna Atascosa website, they are supposed to be opening Bayside Dr back up next year, which might let us get to Rattlesnake Bay at Red Head cove, and Realitos point.
Those two access points are red because they were closed to the public a little over a year ago: News Article
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks - it's a shame, LLM has so few access points and great winter fishing.
Hopefully, this will come to pass - roads in Laguna Atascosa have been closed for 5 years. Rattlesnake Bay is great fishing - but it's a 3-mi paddle from the county park launch on the Arroyo to get there.
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Laguna_Atasc ... Drive.html
It sounds like "limited access" could include contacting the NWR for a day permit, beginning sometime next year.
Definitely worth a call.

here is the staff listing for Cameron Co. roads
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Laguna_Atasc ... Drive.html
I think the Right of Way division would be the people to contact about clarification of access.
After reading the article, though, it sounds like meeting the landowner is the only choice for Holly Beach access.
I did that when Kendall Co. closed all county road bridges - drove up to the house and met the landowner where I had been getting in for 30 years. He handed me his card and told me to call him any time - and gave me access to park on his land.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlessedAngler

Post by BlessedAngler »

Thanks for letting me know.