Few Reds and a Flounder in San Martin Lake in Port Isabel/Brownsville

BlessedAngler

Few Reds and a Flounder in San Martin Lake in Port Isabel/Brownsville

Post by BlessedAngler »

I finally took the yak out yesterday (15DEC18) mid afternoon and headed to San Martin Lake. For those of you that are not familiar with this place it is along Hwy 48, which takes you from Port Isabel to Brownsville. It is the only public boat ramp (Jaime J. Zapata Memorial Boat Ramp) that I know of in that area. Anyways, turned out to be a great day. Caught 3 reds ( 1-Under, 1-Over, and 1- Just Right). My first fish of the day was a 16 1/2 flounder, which looks a lot bigger in the picture that is attached. I rarely catch flounder so after the second red I realized that I needed a trout to get my first Texas Slam, but could not find one. I have caught combination of reds, trout, snook and black drum but not the three species mentioned above. It is my understanding that those are the 3 species and if otherwise someone let me know that way I can brag, I mean, comment that I have already caught a Texas Slam. The rat was released so he could get bigger and the bull so he could hopefully give someone else the great fight he gave me. Fish were all caught in 1.5 ft. of water or less on Kwigglers Willow Tail/Mansfield Margarita. Seems I throw this lure a lot. (Going to make the drive to Harlingen this week to pick up some TSL grass walkers.) The best part of the trip wasn't the fishing but the people I met before the trip and after the trip at the boat ramp. Met a first time kayaker, don't know if that the proper term, when I first arrived and he asked me for some advice. I am by no means an expert or claim to be in fishing or kayaking but I always try to learn from anyone and everyone. And what I have learned throughout my years of fishing I am always willing to share with anyone that is willing to listen. Gave him some pointers, lend him some equipment that I thought would make his trip easier and told he was more than welcome to join me on my trip, which he did. Made a new fishing buddy and hopefully gave him enough advice to keep him safe on the water and catch a few more fish in that area. There is a link of the video. Hope you all enjoy. Be safe and God Bless.

https://youtu.be/IPHeqO6oycI
Attachments
GOPR1083 (2).JPG
GOPR1086 (2).JPG
GOPR1089 (2).JPG
Last edited by BlessedAngler on Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Few Reds and a Flounder in San Martin Lake in Port Isabel/Brownsville

Post by kickingback »

Video unavailable...
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

nice photos
definitely easy access and short paddling to get on fish like those
BlessedAngler

Post by BlessedAngler »

Thanks and sorry about the link. This should be the Link https://youtu.be/IPHeqO6oycI