Another Shout Out for the TSL Grasswalker

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Another Shout Out for the TSL Grasswalker

Post by shoffer »

I took guests to Port Mansfield for 2 days of wade fishing with guides - so not a kayak report - but I thought I would report results. We had Lower Laguna Madre limits of trout both days )5 trout per angler), and limits of reds one day, but I spent most of my time chunking the TSL Grasswalker in Bone Diamond, rigged weedless on the swimbait hooks Tobin recommends. I finally figured out the best way to work it, which for this day was holding rod tip straight up, and making the rod tip do tiny twitches on an erratic pattern using about a 1-2 inch movement of my wrist. Using that action, while wading mixed grass and sand flats on Friday morning (11/30/18), I hooked a 22, 23 and 26-inch trout, who leapt out the water like a tarpon when I hooked her:
26 inch Mansfield Trout.jpeg
During the rest of the trip, I caught numerous other smaller trout, and three reds as well. I missed a couple of good fish by not setting the hook good enough, but that's on me.

For floating grass that is abundant in Port Mansfield, and any other situation where I am going to fish grassy conditions, the TSL is now my go-to lure. Good job, Tobin!
Last edited by shoffer on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Another Shout Out for the TSL Grasswalker

Post by Ron Mc »

nice fish - thanks for the report.

Something else about TSL grasswalkers - they're just more fun to fish than any other lure.
The retrieve almost doesn't matter, though they have the advantage of fishing slow compared to weighted lures.
Fish will go after them several times to get the eat, and when they do eat, they don't reject them.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

So true, Ron Mc. I really like the walk the dog action 6 inches under the surface, but I have yet to hang a fish using it. I used it a ton in super skinny marsh lakes in November and hooked some nice schooling reds. I also love the durability. I threw one lure for nearly two days; I had to switch it out towards the last afternoon as one red tore it through the hook.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I give them time to eat the lure, and wait to set until they turn away.
Tobin kinda chastised me for it, but unlike wildeye shad, I haven't had a gullet hook on this lure.

They do stand up to abuse
though we had a few tails bit-off by lizardfish - I'm told this is a lunker
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Nice non-kayak fishing report, Capt. Shoffer! Next year (if invited) I'll do my part to catch some big specks & redfish. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Great work Shoffer!!!!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

This came in yesterday via text ... guys are killin it on the flats with the Birthday Suit
Attachments
IMG_4252.PNG