11-29-18 Louisiana grand slam in Texas

Chubs

11-29-18 Louisiana grand slam in Texas

Post by Chubs »

Was working at port Lavaca again and had a little time yesterday before I headed home so decided to hit up the mystical tunnel to redfish heaven on my way home. I finally took the maiden voyage on my sea eagle 385fta kayak!

Was a little different in the setup, I have to pump up the tubes before loading up. I bought the electric pump though so it was super fast. Also need to get the yak to the water before you load Crap on so you don't drag on the ground and tear up the fabric. Course I could buy some wheels but have not yet.

Tested out the elevated fishing seat and drop stitched flooring. there is a lot of oyster in the area so figured I'd see the durability too...

So got onto the water, had about only 1.5 hours to fish at 2:30 - 4pm. Water was glass calm, amazing because it was predicted to be blowing it's butt off.

Nice clear water but that combined with the no wind sort of hurt. Tide strong outgoing though so that was good.

I fished a popping cork with gulp mantis shrimp and 1/8 oz jig head. The cork was cupped which probably was a bad choice given the conditions, but I didn't change it cause it was catching fish.
Also used a 1/4 oz jig with chart matrix shad, and 3/8 oz buggs lure some funky lsu purple and gold color (why don't they make a Texas Tech color!)

started from launch and fished to some sign but nothing. I tried something I never have done successfully, I stood up on my kayak! Was a tad shaky but got used to it quickly and man I loved it! So much better fishing standing up!

I'm not sure how I'd do with wave and wind but will try it out and report back.

I got to the tunnel outlet and cast around a bit, jigged the shad and fish on! landed a nice 16ish trout.

Unfortunately I must have caught the only trout that got kicked out of heaven cause after that was just rat reds.

Eventually I Bird nested my bait caster when I snagged my anchor rope behind (i keep doing that...) So just used the popping cork and buggs. Caught more rats.
Used the cork up close to the rocks and dragged it back and hooked into another nice fish. 13.5" flounder, doh!

I figure that's a grand slam if I'd been in Louisiana so I'll take it :D

Eventually had to head home. Got back to dock and chatted some fellow kayakers I'd ran across earlier. They had managed a 20.5" red and a bunch of throwback dinks.

I didn't feel like cleaning 1 spec so I asked them if they wanted it and they were happy to take it off my hands.

So, a decent trip. Caught some fish on a quick stop! Nice to unwind a bit after a very long family "vacation"

The inflatable kayak was great too. Handled well but of course no wind. I rubbed a little oyster and no leaks so also good. The elevated seat is nice but it's meant for the trolling motor which I left at home since I've not registered yet (no time these days...). So as you paddle you are higher than normal, but worse is the rod holders are in the way of your paddle stroke.

Anyway, that's it for now. Sorry no pictures. tight lines y'all!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: 11-29-18 Louisiana grand slam in Texas

Post by karstopo »

I like to stand when I fish. Good for seeing what’s going on. Nice job on the slam. Isn’t that also a Texas slam or was it the LSU lure that made it a Louisiana one?
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

karstopo wrote:I like to stand when I fish. Good for seeing what’s going on. Nice job on the slam. Isn’t that also a Texas slam or was it the LSU lure that made it a Louisiana one?
I figured it didn't count if they weren't keepers, but I think they were keepers if I'd been in Louisiana (smaller slot size) lol
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

A slam’s a slam. Size don’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

don't you need a black drum in there, too, for a slam? That's the way I've always counted them.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

https://www.texassaltwaterfishingmagazi ... shing/slam

Here’s an article on the concept of a slam, from a fly fishing guide that works both Texas and Florida. I had always thought of it as trout, redfish and flounder, for Texas anyway. Black drum gets a mention as a substitute for the flounder. It’s all sort of arbitrary anyway.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

a grand slam in baseball requires 4 bases - otherwise, it's a triple.

I've taught guides and journalists a few tricks. :mrgreen:

Chubs - thanks for the report. 8)