Explain it all with a sigh
I'm looking at myself, reflections of my mind
It's just the kind of day to leave myself behind
So gently swaying through the fairy-land of love
If you'll just come with me you'll see the beauty of
Tuesday afternoon
Tuesday afternoon”
The Moody Blues, Justin Hayward

The first 6 or 8 or who knows how many fish I saw, all slot redfish, were all stars, hall of fame fish. I made quality pitches, many pitches, fastballs, curves, sliders, an Olive one anyway, but I could not buy an eat. I was rattled and about ready to hit the showers.

Sometimes, it’s just the ball. I pulled the Olive borski and put in the tan borski. That change changed my fortunes. Suddenly, the fish were buying what I was selling. Not every fish, but if I put it close to their nose, I had a good chance of an eat.

The tan slider worked well enough to get 4 fish to hand, 3 of them slots. The quickly rising tide pushed enough water over the shelf I was fishing that I could no longer see the fish, not well enough for sight fishing.

I finished the afternoon fishing some reef margins with the tan borski. I caught a variety of species. A little silver trout. A couple of small black drum, a handful of rat reds, 3 Speckled trout, 2 might have made 15”. I didn’t want to go in, the air and light was so very nice.

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Tuesday Afternoon

Post by Cuervo Jones »

A far better Tuesday than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks for the nice photos
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Great report. Congrats on the slot reds. It reminds me of a time my friend and I were fishing the exact same brand/size swim bait. His was green/silver/black and mine was white/silver/black. He was catching fish and I was watching him catch fish. This went on for about an hour when I finally decided to make the color change. We were both catching when another friend paddled up throwing a similar bait in silver/black. He sat there 20 yards away from us watching us catch fish for about 15 minutes when I tossed him a green one. “You really think it will matter?” he asked. After watching us reel in a few more, he made the switch too.

It’s funny how sometimes we think it is something we are doing. Reeling too fast. Too slow. Too shallow. Too deep. Solunar chart. Sometimes it is as simple as a color change.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Nice poem! Pictures are "spot" on! Well done and thanks for sharing! :clap:
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Very fitting song to such a great day out, and caught some good fish to boot!
Love the Moody Blues! I just youtubed that song so I could hear it again. :)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

mwatson71 wrote:Great report. Congrats on the slot reds. It reminds me of a time my friend and I were fishing the exact same brand/size swim bait. His was green/silver/black and mine was white/silver/black. He was catching fish and I was watching him catch fish. This went on for about an hour when I finally decided to make the color change. We were both catching when another friend paddled up throwing a similar bait in silver/black. He sat there 20 yards away from us watching us catch fish for about 15 minutes when I tossed him a green one. “You really think it will matter?” he asked. After watching us reel in a few more, he made the switch too.

It’s funny how sometimes we think it is something we are doing. Reeling too fast. Too slow. Too shallow. Too deep. Solunar chart. Sometimes it is as simple as a color change.
Color, especially in larger lures, is always a trade-off between being visible for the water and light, and being too obvious. (too obvious is usually not a problem in small flies)
Most of the fish we're after are in groups - red fish pods, male trout in schools - female trout are lone, but several may turn up for a feeding advantage such as constricted tide current.
Competition can be a big factor in getting an eat. Several fish turning for the lure get competitive to get there first and feed.
If they won't chase it because the color is too obvious in the available light, doesn't properly blend with the water, they're all going to reject.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Now I better understand you, Star Koppo. You love my beloved Moody Blues (my garage band performs 3 of their best songs) and live your life "on the threshold of a dream..."
Keep dreaming.

NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Man o' man,
Sounds like a great day!
Great song, too!

I recently had carpal tunnel hand surgery, trying to be good and rest it,
but reading your post makes me want to get back out there.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Heal up quick, NativeSon.

I went back out to the Tuesday Afternoon place this past Sunday Afternoon. Water was at least a foot high, not nearly as clear, and the wind kind of came up not long after I launched. First fish I saw was a fleeting shot that probably never was sensed and the fish moved deeper and out of sight. Another redfish briefly put up about 2-3” of tail. I paddled the 120-140 feet to where the fish was, tail now submerged, but my marked spot was good. Fish was on top of scattered shell and sort of doing that lazy milling around redfish do when they aren’t really resting and aren’t really feeding all that vigorously either. I was probably about 30’ away. I made a decent cast that an actively feeding and alert redfish would have likely swam to investigate, but got zero reaction from the fish. Next cast landed too much towards the tail end of the fish, just beyond the tail, and I was afraid I was about to spook the redfish, but the fish eased forward and ignored the tan slider just off its tail as I eased the fly by. Third cast was the charm. This cast I put about 3’ past the fish and out in front a couple of feet. The fish crept forward unaware of the cast, leader or fly and I slowly eased the fly into an intersection. I saw the jaw open a little and then after a small pause, set the hook. Image
The red was a lazy fighter like it was a lazy feeder. I didn’t measure it, but it was about 22-23”. I released it after feeding it a few coffee beans. JK, mellow fish, I guess it was mainly sunning on the shell when I interrupted that.

I saw one other redfish. A huge fish, for a marsh, that moved over a reef and disappeared. I ended up just casting to structure. That produced a few more rat reds, one little drum, and a foot long flounder. Not the day of sight fishing I was hoping for, but it was enjoyable to be out and nobody was crowding me, hard to always accomplish on a nice weather weekend.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Mellow fish on a mellow day. I can dig it.