Bull red

NavionicsSpecJason

Bull red

Post by NavionicsSpecJason »

Caught my first bull red on trip to Louisiana this weekend. The water in the marsh was super low due to moderate to high winds for two days. Having a good map of the area made it possible to find the deeper holes and ditches the fish were moving through. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Bull red

Post by Ron Mc »

Great photo :clap: full belly on that fish
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Nice bull for the marsh! What was the bait of choice and what bait was present naturally?
NavionicsSpecJason

3 inch new penny Gulp shrimp under a popping cork fished painfully slow...crappie fishing slow...

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I'm going to make a little editorial here, and don't take it the wrong way. It's not about you, but about misunderstanding and misuse of the word, because somebody else misunderstood and misused the word, and turned it into a badge and a fisherman's a rite of passage.
The rite of passage belongs to the fish.
Any redfish caught in the marsh, flats or bays is a juvenile, by definition - even if the fish is 40".
Once that juvenile leaves the bays for the Gulf, they become a Bull Red, and they'll never come back.
They'll only visit a surf tide pass on the incoming tide in the fall to spawn.
(the tide and wind currents will carry the alvelin 20+ miles to Copano bay, etc.)
My best fly rod red is 32" (Fence Lake), a friend caught a 39" red in the bay - juveniles.
My buddy's 5'2" wife caught a 52" red in the surf - that's a Bull Red.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Fat belly that redfish. Nice catch. That shoreline vegetation sure is tall. I’d get lost over there not being able to see for miles.
therealfishbrain

Post by therealfishbrain »

Ron Mc wrote:I'm going to make a little editorial here, and don't take it the wrong way. It's not about you, but about misunderstanding and misuse of the word, because somebody else misunderstood and misused the word, and turned it into a badge and a fisherman's a rite of passage.
Any redfish caught in the marsh, flats or bays is a juvenile, by definition - even if the fish is 40".
Once that juvenile leaves the bays for the Gulf, they become a Bull Red, and they'll never come back.
(the tide and wind currents will carry the alvelin 20+ miles to Copano bay, etc.)
My best fly rod red is 32" (Fence Lake), a friend caught a 39" red in the bay - juveniles.
Who honestly cares? Maybe you need to move on, if pretty much the entire fishing population calls a big red a bull. :roll:

Nice bull, Jason!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Ron Mc wrote:Great photo :clap: full belly on that fish
The cowardly guy hiding behind the internet may want to try surf fishing at night for bull reds - it's a manly sport.
Ask Sherrie.
therealfishbrain

Post by therealfishbrain »

Ron Mc wrote:
Ron Mc wrote:Great photo :clap: full belly on that fish
The cowardly guy hiding behind the internet may want to try surf fishing at night for bull reds - it's a manly sport.
Ask Sherrie.

Been there several times. What a brave man you are--surf fishing at night! My hero! :clap: :lol: :lol:
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Bull red

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Nice Red Bull. Keep posting reports with photos. This place needs some life.

NavionicsSpecJason

Ron Mc wrote:I'm going to make a little editorial here, and don't take it the wrong way. It's not about you, but about misunderstanding and misuse of the word, because somebody else misunderstood and misused the word, and turned it into a badge and a fisherman's a rite of passage.
I’ve heard that, I’m not familiar enough with the biology to dispute it. I was told anything over 30” is a bull red. For what it’s worth, one of the Jackson team guys caught a 50” red in the same marsh...all I know is it was a helluva fight and I enjoyed it! Tight lines!

NavionicsSpecJason

karstopo wrote:Fat belly that redfish. Nice catch. That shoreline vegetation sure is tall. I’d get lost over there not being able to see for miles.
I definitely had my track turned on!

NavionicsSpecJason

Cuervo Jones wrote:Nice Red Bull. Keep posting reports with photos. This place needs some life.

Thanks, a Texas redfish is next on my list.