Matagorda 11-10-18 Marsh & birds

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Matagorda 11-10-18 Marsh & birds

Post by Yaklash »

It was a wading by power boat trip, but this is useful info for kayak anglers.

A group of nine friends fished a combination of places out of three boats.

The wind blew 15-20 out of the NE with gusts to 25, but no rain so it was bearable. We started wading at the mouths of drains and could see shrimp coming out with the dropping tide. The birds were working the shrimp hard a couple of hundred yards back into the marsh but my captain did not want to troll back there in those winds. We caught fish at the mouths of drain, trout from 16-20", and some small reds. The 2 guys who went way back into the marsh caught about 15 trout to 3-1/2 pounds, but only small reds. At the cleaning table, those back lake trout each had at least 8 shrimp in their belly; one had probably 20. They were absolutely gorging on shrimp. The marsh is still hot, so get out there is you like that sort of thing.

That afternoon, after getting to more protected areas of the bay, only to have the winds drop 10 mph, and then we saw birds working so we spent the rest of the afternoon catching trout and reds under a mixed bag of birds - gulls, terns and pelicans - diving on a mix of shrimp, shad and mullet.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Matagorda 11-10-18 Marsh & birds

Post by Ron Mc »

great report - wish you had photos of the water
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Ron Mc wrote:great report - wish you had photos of the water
Yeah....I don't do pictures unless there's something really brag-worthy. Otherwise, I am too busy fishing to take pictures on the water.

Water wasn't bad in the area we were drifting birds. Maybe a foot of visibility (we were in east matty). The drains we were fishing early, the water was worse; maybe 8" or 9"
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

many of my friends have teased me about my camera and my relaxed fishing style, but they've also watched me catch a whole lot of fish, maybe when they weren't... :mrgreen:

But for me, the camera makes all the little details sharp years down the road.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the info. So I don't want your spots of course, but what exactly constitutes a drain on the north side of east matty that you can wade? I'd have thought you'd fall right into the ICWW :)

Or maybe you were on the south? :oops: If on the south, even with that heavy wind from the north I guess the water would still drop out even against the wind for the trout to turn on?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

From Gulf Cut towards Mary's, so west end of East Matty