Winter Flounder Movement?

wing_nut

Winter Flounder Movement?

Post by wing_nut »

Has anyone been out to SeaWolf yet to check out the situation with the flounder run this year?
I'm thinking about taking Friday off and spending the day wading around Pelican Island.
Crusader

Re: Winter Flounder Movement?

Post by Crusader »

Been there 1 week ago. Anglers-to-fish ratio was around 30. Got 4 throwbacks and one keeper after full day of wading. Water was highest I've ever seen it over there. Might be better now with this cold front passing...
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

Crusader wrote:Been there 1 week ago. Anglers-to-fish ratio was around 30. Got 4 throwbacks and one keeper after full day of wading. Water was highest I've ever seen it over there. Might be better now with this cold front passing...
Does it really get that bad in the Galveston area? I fish mostly surfside bays and have never seen it like that.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

You want to know the flounder bite in Galveston? DO A YOUTUBE search for "flounder" or more precise "flounder Galveston" and you will find your flounder. Brian McPhearson is an avid flounder hunter and records videos of flounder catching all the time. When you get your "results" there is a "filter" tab you can select and pick videos in the "last month" or last week and you will get any recent videos to help you target that species. You can find trout and reds the same way. I tell people this all the time but not too many people do not even try to search. They want the info given to them but it's not that easy.

Flounder are mostly in the gulf and they are called FLUKE up north more so doing a search for just flounder you may have some videos from Florida or other states but you can still learn about their movements and locations from those videos as well.

Hope I helped! Good luck! I'm hitting SLP this weekend for some flatties myself! :clap:
wing_nut

Post by wing_nut »

Crusader wrote:Been there 1 week ago. Anglers-to-fish ratio was around 30. Got 4 throwbacks and one keeper after full day of wading. Water was highest I've ever seen it over there. Might be better now with this cold front passing...
I was thinking of wading from SeaWolf to Pelican Cut with an emphasis on the flat between the Selma and Pelican Isl. I'm hoping this cold front with get them moving en masse but my buddies keep trying to convince me that it's still too early. I'm gonna hit it up anyway and see how it goes. I'll post pic's and a report when I get back.
Cheers!
wing_nut

Post by wing_nut »

kickingback wrote:You want to know the flounder bite in Galveston? DO A YOUTUBE search for "flounder" or more precise "flounder Galveston" and you will find your flounder. Brian McPhearson is an avid flounder hunter and records videos of flounder catching all the time. When you get your "results" there is a "filter" tab you can select and pick videos in the "last month" or last week and you will get any recent videos to help you target that species. You can find trout and reds the same way. I tell people this all the time but not too many people do not even try to search. They want the info given to them but it's not that easy.

Flounder are mostly in the gulf and they are called FLUKE up north more so doing a search for just flounder you may have some videos from Florida or other states but you can still learn about their movements and locations from those videos as well.

Hope I helped! Good luck! I'm hitting SLP this weekend for some flatties myself! :clap:
Good call on the YouTube filter. I've been searching for dang near anything associated with "Flounder" on youtube and didn't see any of Brian's feeds until I filtered on "This Month". I know what I'm doing for the next hour or so.
Good luck this weekend at SLP!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thanks bro! That filter works well on other specifics if you play with it long enough.

I have my start page for YouTube and every time I connect it shows me "recommended" videos based on what I have been viewing lately or before. I get so many new videos it is awesome!

Here are a few I subscribe to that I find the people nice with good videos and ones that don't call you a HATER for giving them feedback, good or bad. I had a few try that with me and I unsubscribed and told them why and they called me a hater. Funny how they didn't call me a hater when I liked their videos and gave good feedback. Some people just do not see the big picture. :wink:

I'm always looking for more to subscribe to and HELP them with views and shares. I like to help give them money from YouTube for producing good videos that are helpful to others. There are a bunch out there but you have to look for what you want and weed out the haters!

Trying to plan a trip to Florida to visit Marty! I have watched his videos since he started by modding kayaks. Check out ALL his videos for a great perspective on a good man making videos for all. That's Marty Zoffinger. :clap:

Brian McPherson
EliasVFishing
Glenn Madden
Jeff Bonham
John Skinner Fishing
Max Moore Fishing
Nattie Up North
Robert Field
RX Angler
Texas Redfish Hunter
ThresherFishing
zoffinger
Ghostrider9920

Post by Ghostrider9920 »

Add "Key West Kayak Fishing" to your list. Steve is one of the hardest working dudes out there and he fishes almost every day when the weather allows.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6y ... HKXisMhA2w
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I wonder what makes flounder leave for the gulf? I've read most go out offshore quite a distance to spend the winter. Is it the drop in water temperatures that gets the ball rolling? Is it the drop in water levels with those big Northwest wind type of cold fronts? Is it the bait like shrimp and small finfish leaving the marsh and bays, often with the drop in water levels, that makes the flounder head for the passes? Maybe it's the sun and shorter days and some lack 0f light cue that does it.

Don't flounder spawn out offshore or is it in the passes? Maybe the urge to breed sends them out. Maybe it's all of the above.

I did read flounder need water temperature below some level out in the gulf to have success breeding. The water temperatures evidently haven't been quite cold enough to encourage a successful spawn in the last few years.

Interesting fish. Has anyone gotten good at raising flounder in a hatchery? Maybe we will get water temperatures low enough this year for a successful spawn.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Some good info here...http://gcrl.usm.edu/public/fish/flounder.php

Here's a good classic fro TPWD...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oerGBh5zYqo

I have read all kinds of books on flounder. A.C Becker has a good book and Pat Murray touched on them as well as Larry Bozka. They used to fish together here in Texas. And then the books by Chester Moore. He made a few and LOVES flounder the most over at Texas Fish And Game. I have four of his books signed by him. He is always at the Boat Shows.

Unfortunately, most books and internet info I have read gives the basics. I have not found one book that will put you"on them" unless it's a pass during the migration. They and the shrimp move for the temp and flounder continue on to the deeper waters offshore where it is warmer for them. They have a limited range in temp to feed from what I read.

The best bet to find them right now is at the mouth of drains coming from marsh and more in the bays as they start to move out toward the passes. There has to be another drop in temperature before they "run". Look for water temps to drop more for the run to start.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

right now (10/25/18 Thursday morning) @ seawolf
Add description
Add description
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

kickingback wrote:You want to know the flounder bite in Galveston? DO A YOUTUBE search for "flounder" or more precise "flounder Galveston" and you will find your flounder. Brian McPhearson is an avid flounder hunter and records videos of flounder catching all the time. When you get your "results" there is a "filter" tab you can select and pick videos in the "last month" or last week and you will get any recent videos to help you target that species. You can find trout and reds the same way. I tell people this all the time but not too many people do not even try to search. They want the info given to them but it's not that easy.
Hey I never heard of this idea and appreciate the youtube "hack" :)
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

that filter really only applies to guys that can edit super fast and the videos get out within the week. Not all videos are pumped out immediately by everyone. but it might be close enough.

The flounder 'Run' and head to the gulf to spawn when the bay water temp hits 58 and some other factors happen as well. That's the documented temperature. I'm sure it's also partly daylight length driven, as well as tide height. If the bay doesn't get the flushing drops due to cold fronts it will delay the big run to some extent. In the end it's a combination of things, no one can say it's just one thing.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Actually Tobin, I think the start of the "run" is based on one thing and one thing only....SEX! They are "running" to spawn. Who wouldn't RUN to that! :lol:
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

kickingback wrote:Actually Tobin, I think the start of the "run" is based on one thing and one thing only....SEX! They are "running" to spawn. Who wouldn't RUN to that! :lol:
LOL.. Of Course that is the why Charlie... LOL. But you have to wait until she's the right 'temperature' and the water conditions (enter her drink of choice here) are right... otherwise running might as well be running in circles LOL.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Since this topic is sort of apt to my observations from this Friday 26th - I went to wade out front of Moses Floodgates area for flounders. I didn't cover a much ground as I'd have liked but I didn't even get a nibble. The water was chocolate milk, I was using gulps mantis shrimp on 1/4oz jighead on a bait caster, and also a spinning setup with a double rigged 3" gulp swimming mullet + a chicken boy black and yellow 3" shrimp. I do wish I had had more time there to check a few more areas out but I went to Sea Wolf park afterward with my friend. Only did the Moses area for maybe 1 hour so probably not enough time to really explore to see if they had staged there yet.

I'll save the Seawolf report for a different post because I didn't go there for flounder, but someone there told me they caught 2 flounders earlier in the day. Man was Seawolf packed with people!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

You can view the SWP camera daily and see if anyone is catching. No one I have seen wading have caught any and I spent at least an hour watching.
Wait two days after the next cold front. You'll be glad you waited. :wink:
wing_nut

Post by wing_nut »

Update...
Walked/waded from SWP to Pelican Cut fishing a tandem rig with Red 4" Gulp swimming mullet on a 1/8 oz. jig head and a 4" White Gulp swimming mullet on a 1/4 oz. bucktail jig. Later I tried a Flounder Pounder and after that, a Carolina Rig with at 4" Gulp Shrimp.
Snagged a nice Sheephead in the eye but that was it. I lost my fish gripper in the first 20 minutes and somehow my pliers fell off my belt about an hour into it. I was bummed for sure but that didn't stop me. Perhaps I should have taken the hint that the day was not going to go my way but I reckon I was just to stubborn (or stupid) to give up.
I saw one guy with 2 flounder at the end of the day but that was it.
So in summary; 8 hours of wading and no flounder, walked about 5 miles and lost my grippers and my pliers.
It was still way better than going to work.
With the weather being so warm I'll probably wait till the middle of November to try again.
Thanks for all the good advice on the migration and YouTube tips!
Chris-tofer

Post by Chris-tofer »

kickingback wrote:Thanks bro! That filter works well on other specifics if you play with it long enough.

I have my start page for YouTube and every time I connect it shows me "recommended" videos based on what I have been viewing lately or before. I get so many new videos it is awesome!

Here are a few I subscribe to that I find the people nice with good videos and ones that don't call you a HATER for giving them feedback, good or bad. I had a few try that with me and I unsubscribed and told them why and they called me a hater. Funny how they didn't call me a hater when I liked their videos and gave good feedback. Some people just do not see the big picture. :wink:

I'm always looking for more to subscribe to and HELP them with views and shares. I like to help give them money from YouTube for producing good videos that are helpful to others. There are a bunch out there but you have to look for what you want and weed out the haters!

Trying to plan a trip to Florida to visit Marty! I have watched his videos since he started by modding kayaks. Check out ALL his videos for a great perspective on a good man making videos for all. That's Marty Zoffinger. :clap:

Brian McPherson
EliasVFishing
Glenn Madden
Jeff Bonham
John Skinner Fishing
Max Moore Fishing
Nattie Up North
Robert Field
RX Angler
Texas Redfish Hunter
ThresherFishing
zoffinger

Thanks for watching and helping my “little man” grow his channel. Funny, you and I watch some of the same channels for the same reasons!!! Robert Field is a class act all the way. We met him in Louisiana while fishing and the two of them have forged a great relationship. He recently took the time to drive up here to North Texas and help Max guide blind children in a fishing event Max created. Max has been battling vision problems for a while now and wanted to do something for the kids that already can’t see. You’ve probably seen his video talking about it. He’s working on the follow up video now. Last weekend, he took a little girl out fishing that we met the day of the event. They’ve become instant friends. As for the haters, and he’s had plenty, I’ll keep taking him fishing all over as long as he wants to go. Beats the heck out of playing video games (which he is rabidly against).
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

That is awesome!!! I watched his latest as soon as it comes out! I commend him on his caring for others! He is a great young man and I enjoy his videos! Keep letting him fish!!!! :clap: