East Matagorda Friday 10/13 - High water

Jeff Kessler

East Matagorda Friday 10/13 - High water

Post by Jeff Kessler »

Hi all -

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just started kayak fishing last year and am grateful to all the TKF knowledge sharing and Tobin's TroutSupport videos!

Still learning, but thought I could contribute some area conditions that may be of interest.

I typically fish East Matty, and yesterday I got a real curve ball: The water was about 3ft higher than normal and most of the marsh underwater!

I've included a picture of the kayak launch at the Paddlesports Park. It looks like the bay is right there (which I guess it was), but is typically a half-mile paddle through the cut until you can even glimpse bay.

I noticed alot of fish took advantage of this and were actually up on top of the marsh, inches below the surface, but still with enough weeds above to make working lures through a challenge. Maybe flyrods? Dunno. I couldn't figure it out.

I worked deeper into an area of the marsh not normally accessible and was lucky enough that one of my few bites landed a small & skinny 21 red.

Chatted with better kayak fisherman than I at the launch and they didn't seem to have much luck either. Yet, with the change in temperature still made for a great day out.

Best,

-Jeff
Attachments
Fish.jpg
HighWater.jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: East Matagorda Friday 10/13 - High water

Post by Ron Mc »

Success !!!
Storm tides can bring in a lot of surf fish and change everything. Usually best to target the water that would be too skinny in normal tides, because reds take advantage of it for access to new crab grazing.
Speaking of grazing, that's the best use for a fly rod - casting to tailing reds that are busy nose down in the mud.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice report. Glad you came aboard TKF. Most of us are nice here, although, I have my moments.

I’ve always been reluctant to chase redfish when they are way into the grass. Not because I don’t know they are there, it’s just all the frustrations of trying to get an offering to them. My plan is to wait them and the extra high water levels out and then go after the redfish when the tide levels force them out. Any day now these fronts will start to drop the water and then maybe it will be easy pickings.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Welcome to the Plastic Navy circus, Jeff! Here on TKF we try to share fishing information, good stories, a few insults, & laughs.
Looking forward to your fishing reports. And congratulations on being the first TKF member with the balls to use his REAL name (ha ha).
--Dandydon Pickels, Esq.
Fishing Attorneys LLP
IMG_3548.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Welcome and glad you caught fish! That water is high for sure! I launched from Sea Isle the other day and the water was over the bulkheads to the homes there. The chain that blocks the ramp was under water so launching was a breeze. The hard part was the tide and wind moving all that water!
Glad you got out!
Jeff Kessler

Post by Jeff Kessler »

Haha! Thanks all for the warm welcome! I tried coming up with a good nickname for the board, but only came up with weird / awkward pirate names. :o

I have to say that the kayak fishing community is a really tremendous bunch of people. At the end of almost every trip, I've met friendly guys at the launches who have shared their fishing tips and helped each other load kayaks. Which really isn't fair as my yak has to get hoisted up to the car roof. I think my spine has compressed 2 inches. :)
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for the great report, Jeff.
topwater trout

Post by topwater trout »

Welcome. Youll be seeing me a lot in east matty.