Some PINS success and first Spanish Mac

mjjust

Some PINS success and first Spanish Mac

Post by mjjust »

Went down to PINS this weekend for annual trip with my brothers and nephews. Brothers there already but son and I arrived late Friday night and it started raining as we drove up. Camp was just past 21 miles. Not much sleep that night with storms rolling through but woke up to fairly calm seas. Caught some mullet in surf and started fishing. Everyone else using shrimp and mullet and son and I tried top water with a few hits and one skip. We switched to gold spoon and caught a few skips and small pompanos. Son hooked up with a 27” Spanish Mac. His first and actually my first time seeing one in person.

Took one the skips and put it on our long rod and yakked it out 300 yds. Son and then stayed out 300-500 yds throw gold spoon. Saw some birds working about 1/2 mile north so we headed that way. Good for us they were coming our way. All of a sudden had bait and birds all around us. Caught several skips and pomps and then had something make my reel sing. After a couple runs pulled in a 30” mac. My first Mac and first time with a kayak on the beach.
Caught a few more fish but another set of storms was coming in and seas got rough so we headed back in. Surf stayed pretty rough rest of day. Nephew managed a 22” red on mullet.
Lots of small whiting and hardheads.

Had several showers through the day but cleared up Saturday night. Sunday morning wind was nill but surf still rough. Sky looked ominous. Image
Climbed dune to check radar on phone and decided to pack up. Got loaded right as the deluge hit. Was like driving across a lake most of the way.

All in all a great weekend with quality time with family.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Some PINS success and first Spanish Mac

Post by kickingback »

Well done! Some nice fish there! Kind of spooky with all the rain clouds! Thanks for sharing!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Looks like a great trip - congrats
Thanks for the report
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the report. Glad yall had fun!
Gage5602

Post by Gage5602 »

the 30 inch looks like a king mackerel if so great catch if it is a Spanish you caught a fish of a life time. great report and always tightlines.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Nice Catch.
Thank for the Great report.... :)