Galveston bay /dodging Thunder Storms

Gage5602

Galveston bay /dodging Thunder Storms

Post by Gage5602 »

I haven't been fishing a few weeks so decide to check the weather report for Galveston bay to see if i could scrap together a quick trip to wade Galveston . Th weather report looked very sketchy 80% scattered Thunder storms over the bay but i though that i might be able to get in a few hours in.7:30 am i made it to my spot low winds but i could already see a rain storm cracking down on me i waded my way out to the transition were the bait was holding and throw out a live croaker and bam a nice trout hit my croaker and jump and spit the hook then i got another bait and got picked up again this time he didnt get away nice 18 inch keeper trout.after that i caught two more trout with the biggest of the three being 23 inch 3 1/2 pounds.
as i was just about to start heading back a massive explosion hit my cork and then hit the croaker it turn out to be a nice 27 inch red.Thunderstorms rolled in and i headed back home to clean them up.
Attachments
IMG_0120.JPG
Gage5602

Re: Galveston bay /dodging Thunder Storms

Post by Gage5602 »

Please reply and give me pointers these are my first few post ever i am new to the forum and i am trying bring content because i fish the upper coast quit often. so trying to post reports . and i need your guys help to fine tune them. Better pictures etc. Thanks and always tightlines
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

One pointer....don't worry what others think of your posts. I for one appreciate any reports people post. Every bit of info can help to make sure you catch fish no matter what the area. Any information or pictures is worth it to many. Lots of people views these forums to get reports as they may not be able tot get out of the house due to age or medical issues.
Good report! Thanks for sharing!
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I was to busy living vicariously through your report and staring at your YETI full of fish! :shock:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

What size croaker work best? How do you rig them under the cork? What kind of hook? Do you pop the cork or just let the croaker do the work? Do you ever freeline the croaker or use a cork every time? I’ve never fished with croaker so I know nothing about how it works except I know it can and does catch fish. I like eating croaker, but the bait sized ones I suppose are too small to eat.

Those are nice fish.
Gage5602

Post by Gage5602 »

It depends were your fishing in the surf i like to free line croaker when i am fishing shallow structure shell ,pilings, potholes, etc . when fishing shallow i use the cork to float the croaker above the structure so that he cant dig into the shell or grass or whatever i am. i use a adjustable rattling cork. with a kale hook and a split shot right at the hook this keeps the croaker from trying to swim away when he is scared of the fish. bigger fish are lazy so you have to give them a plated meal. croaker is a very versatile bait another really go to bait that i will start using more in the fall is live shrimp under a rattling cork with a 3 1/2 ft leader fishing deeper reefs. hopes this helps. thanks for your reply.always Tightlines