upper San Antonio Bay and Alligators

Gage5602

upper San Antonio Bay and Alligators

Post by Gage5602 »

August 27 report early morning wade San Antonio bay wind was very calm for the first wade on the windward shoreline we scanned for bait and found some shrimp and shad pouring out of a marsh drain and that is were we started are wade my buddy wade west and i waded east surprisingly there was a nice shell bottom in about 3 1/2 ft of water which were were my first and second trout of the day came from on top waters. Then out of no were the wind started blowing 10+ out of the sound which pushed the bait closer towards the shore that is when i cut of my top water and put on a unfair lures arrowhead 70 suspender and worked it super fast with long pauses in between which triggered a strike 60 % of the time . solid re-fish and trout action for an hour then my braid cut my fluorocarbon to braid uni to uni knot and that was the end of the action for me.as a group we ended up with 5 slot reds 1 flounder and two legal sized trout .Thanks and always Tightlines
Tombo

Re: upper San Antonio Bay and Alligators

Post by Tombo »

Where were the alligators?
Gage5602

Post by Gage5602 »

they were up against the shoreline which is why i was surprised that we caught trout because the water was pretty fresh but it did have the shrimp they were in there. the gators look to be 8 ft long
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Tombo wrote:Where were the alligators?
haha I was waiting to hear how the gator ate all his fish on the stringer and he had to stab it in the eye and barely escaped with his life.
Gage5602

Post by Gage5602 »

i had a close eye on them dont worry if he would have gotten a hold of my stringer i would have let him have the fish :D .
KingO'Dinks
Location: Motorized OK Trident/Manta Ray/Center console/Austin/Seadrift

Post by KingO'Dinks »

If you're in upper SA bay, and don't see Alligators, keep looking, they're all around.
prolog22

Post by prolog22 »

8 foot alligators never took my stringer in sa bay even though they were getting close.
There are 13 footers there, they kept distance but, if i saw them even at 100 feet i would have left the scene.
Few years ago there was a dead fisherman body found in anwr area, the case is not clear, but who the heck knows.
Another attack was reported recently in port o connor.
Gage5602

Post by Gage5602 »

There are gators all over upper San Antonio bay i just try to keep my distance and not agitate them. R ember when your in the water you are never alone i didn't put this in the forum but the next day we went to to one of the reefs by the Aransas national wildlife refuge and all the sudden a ton of 12 inch mullet started jumping out of the water at the same time it almost reminded me of red fish blowing up shad but in a way bigger scale any way i had 2 nice trout on my stringer and here comes a 5 ft bull shark trying to attack my stringer lucky i got back up on top of the reef which was 1 1/2 and he left me alone but that was close. Thanks for the reply and always tighlines.