Moses lake Tidal gates 9-5-18

screwston420

Moses lake Tidal gates 9-5-18

Post by screwston420 »

around 8am I was at the tidal gates bank fishing, there was about 10 ppl fishing moses lake side of the gates and no one fishing the bay side, Tidal gates were closed so I eent down on the bay side close to the big concrete wall and started casting a plum with chartruese tail Usual Suspects... i feel a huge thump and my pole bends in half.... hardest fight ive ever had besides some suspected bull reds or jacks at the dike that eventually broke off... ended up landing my heaviest speck ever and harderst fighting fish... what a fight it gave tho wow. it didntr beat my PB for length but definitely was heavier than my pb long spec of 23" this one was only 21" but was a hog, caught one more at 16" b4 i called it quits... both on the usual suspects. no one on moses lake side seemed to be catching much and i was the only person on the bay side... i dont like to fish near others :/ also the first fish ive caught on Usual Suspects

the smaller one actually measured 16 inches when it was alive, on ice it kinda got into that bent position, photo was taken after i got home

Last edited by screwston420 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cityfisher

Re: Moses lake Tidal gates 9-5-18

Post by Cityfisher »

very nice fish! I haven't been over to Moses lake in a while. I used to live in League City and worked the evening shift. So after I got the kids on the school bus I'd take off and fish by the gate almost every morning. Always caught something on shad I would cast net. Mainly a ton od sand trout though. lol
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Very nice. Trout seem to vary a lot on their builds, some are snakes and some are footballs. Sounds and looks like yours was a fiesty football. Even better you got it bank fishing.
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

thanks guys, i swore i had an upper slot red on the line, the way it bent my rod and wanted to rip it out of my hands lol it kept trying to dive down into the oysters and i kept horsing it up... lost too many that way breaking off on oysters
Gage5602

Post by Gage5602 »

I am new to the forum but i have fish that area a bunch over the years fishing around the gate when gate is closed seems to be productive i believe when the tide comes in it pushes the shad and shrimp up a against the gate . that is when the feeding frenzy begins.Great report and always Tightlines
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

yea i def. had a better morning fishing that spot with the gates closed than when theyre open. I saw some bull reds in there too but couldnt hook up on one