Lake Conroe Morning Trip

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Lake Conroe Morning Trip

Post by kickingback »

Like others, the weather is keeping us off the salt water, so I went to Conroe this morning and fished the Cagle area. The 830 bridge was FULL of alligator gar everywhere. I could shine a light on the water surface and see so many gar that they were swimming around each other about 3 foot apart on all sides! They were all about 2'-3' and hitting top all morning until the sun came up and they went deep and the cats came up. I was using lights for two hours and had a bait ball 10' wide with those gar coming in every once in a while hitting bait. Took a pic of one coming in to eat bait. Barely make it out top right of pic dark long spot. It's about 20' deep there where I setup.
I caught 2 catfish 16" and 18", and a 12" white bass on minnows. Crappie not at the bridge! Went to the stumps near the bridge across from Cagle and the crappie were holding tight to the tree stumps there. The water is 1.5' low so the stumps are visible to go and fish them ALL! Crappie on each one I hit. I caught 2 keepers and 3 small around the stumps and decided to call it quits.
Not many people out on Conroe today. Weird. Even Stubblefield was dead. Of course the bridge is still off limits until they build it new but you can still launch a boat or kayak there. No one there either. Not normal for Conroe form my experience. Maybe the weather scared them away! :lol:

Added a video of the bait...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61rGkOF ... e=youtu.be

Cityfisher

Re: Lake Conroe Morning Trip

Post by Cityfisher »

Thanks for the report. I love fishing the Stubblefield area. There is just so many different kinds of water and structure there to keep you occupied for days. Just curious, were you catching the crappie around those stumps at night or had the sun come up already? Would love to get into a mess of crappie. Last spring we caught a few just dropping a minnow straight down in between the lily pads at stubblefield. And I caught a 14" one north of the stubblefield bridge in one of those side lakes off the river. He hit a large spinning bait while I was bass fishing. lol
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

For sure you can catch crappie at Stubblefield most all the time with all the channels, deep turns and structure all through it going to main lake from bridge. It's so shallow going North is not an option right now in my opinion.
Yep, caught the crappie at the stumps around 9-11 am. I stayed at the bridge until 9 am. If you don't get a bite at that bridge by 9 am after sunrise forget it. They ain't there and will not come. All the stumps were holding crappie big and small. Just had to entice the bite by jigging it. I was using minnows at the bridge but only used Bobby Garland Blue Ice double tails and single tails in tandem, dropping to the bottom at 9' and picking it up and jigging it a bit. Got bites easily with that color. Didn't try other colors as that color always works well on Conroe.
There is structure by the bridge about 75 yards north of the 3rd pylons that usually hold crappie well too. It is structure on the edge of the channel there. You'll find it. Everyone does.
The stumps are funny looking as they are always under water with normal water height and they have their tops "trimmed" by many propellers it looks like. :lol: They are all the same height so that tells you it's true. You can see MANY stumps right now. Best bet is to go there and "mark" each stump as they will be 1-2' down when the water rises and it makes them hard to pinpoint as they are all skinny tree stumps.
With the water 1.5' foot down all the stumps are in 8-9' of water and the crappie are holding tight to them.
That bridge in the video above I am standing on is usually level with the water. Had to "climb up" to get comfortable and see my lines.
Now that is my report and I'm sticking to it. If you go and the crappie moved because the rain started filling the lake up again, I'm not responsible for your skunk. :lol: J/K. Good luck!
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Excelent info kickingback. Thank you very much. I almost got to meet you one time when yakety_yak invited me to go and meet you there. I couldn't make it out that day, hopefully we can one day. :)
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

We'll fish together sometime for sure. I am always fishing! If I ain't fishing I am tying flies and wishing I was fishing. :lol: