Tiki Red Funk Off My Back

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Tiki Red Funk Off My Back

Post by Drifting Yak »

This has been a weird year for reds for me. Not sure what's going on but I've only landed 9 slot reds so far this year and most have been around the lower slot. Heck, I had 23 slots by June last year and when you contrast that to specs, which have been about normal, I've landed 54 slot specs to date. Not sure what's been going on but I hate it when that (Red) funk gets on your back. And to add salt to the wound, my fishing buds have been catching reds - sometimes fishing right beside me!

Back to fishing - YakRunabout and I hit Tiki early Tuesday morning for some night fishing. Got on the water at 2 AM with a full moon, large incoming tide and almost perfect weather (wind was a bit strong blowing 12-15 MPH from the south but still very manageable). We hit various lights throughout the night catching more than our share of dinks and rats (guessing we each had 3 dozen dinks & a dozen rats) and landing a few slot specs along the way.

By 5 AM I was tired of small fries so went looking specifically for the big macs. Radioed Ken to let him know where I was going and headed to a few other lights. I'd cast up current, down current and cross current with the same results. The fish were bumping the bait but not taking it. They would let go as soon as they felt the slightest tension. So after about 10 minutes I did something a little unorthodox - I set me drag to about zero having just enough tension to reel in the line. I'd cast out and then jig it a little while reeling slowly. Then I felt that certain and familiar bump. My heart thumped a little as the line started moving upstream. Gave it a few seconds and then set the hook - fish on! I knew it was a nice red by the way it pulled so all I had to do now was tighten the drag and land it. You know the drill. The waves are rocking you. The wind is blowing you into the docks. The current is taking you in one direction and of course the red wants to go the other. And about that time Ken showed up asking questions. I did not say a word but stayed focused on landing the fish. Got it in the net and then smiled. Turned out to be a very nice 25 inch red. Time to celebrate!

Brought the red home along with a couple of nice specs and was thinking "The (Red) funk is now off my back!" :D

IMG_5350.JPG
Note: As for baits - we used only artificials. We tried a variety and can say that color didn't seem to matter but size did. Larger baits would get thumped but not taken. Smaller paddle tails and swim baits were the ticket (2 to 3 inches).
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Tiki Red Funk Off My Back

Post by kickingback »

Tiki is finicky right now. The wind blown side holds all the bigger bait fish and reds. The smaller trout are scattered int he channels and lights. There are a few big ones in the lights. I found them by downsizing my lure to 2" paddle tails and let them sink to bottom before reeling in through the light. If you do not see shadows of fish in the light then they may be on the bottom by the light waiting for the bait to swim through the light unsuspecting.
The heavier the tide and wind the more fish there will be and harder to spook. Each light you throw in calm water will spook all the fish from that light for 15-30 minutes.
Glad you got the funk off and caught some keepers! :clap:
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice write-up, Mike – Nice catch about the drag setting. I also noticed the lite bite but did not think about lightening the drag! This night was in contrast to a previous trip there where the bite was hard and I had to dig the lure out of the throat of many.

It was an active night, but mostly small ones as you said. It was quite noticeable when I had on a red vs a trout – even the rat reds have a lot of fight in them. When I finally hooked into the 22” red it was a fun fight!

Another new one for me was the attacks from the mullet. We always see mullet, but on this night they were much closer. Early on one rammed my kayak, rattling a rod behind my seat. The shortly after dawn I had one land in the kayak on its second jump. Mike saw the first jump near me and thought that I may be in-line for the next – then, bam – there it was!

A nice outing which also managed to avoid any rains. We had some storms early on and more around dawn but all were east or west. Made for a scenic morning though!
Attachments
P8280267.JPG
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for the great report, Mike. Glad you felt the sweet satisfaction after landing a keeper after a few speed bumps.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Thanks for the comments gents. Now all we have to do is to meet up and fish the lights sometime! :D
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

i havent had a good year so far with reds either... great trout year.. and flounder so far but i think ive only got 1 slot red and i think it was new years day lmao
dquackedup

Post by dquackedup »

Great report. Same for us at tiki. We’ve had a lot of dinks and rat reds. We throw gulp and DOA shrimp and try to change it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk