Non-kayaking report from the surf

mwatson71

Non-kayaking report from the surf

Post by mwatson71 »

I know it's not a kayak report but since very little is getting posted lately, I thought I'd post this just to keep the board active.

I took my kids down to the surf on the west end of Galveston on Sunday morning, to the Galveston pocket park right where you can drive onto the beach. We got there around 6:45-7:00a and the surf already had about 10 other guys out waste deep. As I headed into the water, one of the guys yells over to me, "they're real shallow right now!" I nod, give him a thumbs up, and stop at the second cut.

I look around and notice most of them have live bait buckets tethered to them and everybody is hooking up wih frequency. I am throwing soft plastics. I have a custom rig, based on some teachings from a master angler at the pier. Longer leaders than the normal TTF spec rig. Tiny crappie sized plastics, about an inch and a half long and super thin, hooked onto a 1/8 jig head. Light blue bodies on black jig heads. First cast = first fish. A little guy, about ten inches long. After a quick release and straightening of the swim bait, I make another cast and have another hook up. Pompano. First one of the year for me. Release and make another cast. 17" speck. Into the net and a quick walk to the cooler (I don't string fish in the surf - too many sharp-toothed critters). I replace the body of that jig head and head back out.

The rest of the morning played out just like this. Every third cast or so resulted in a bite, catching all sorts of fish. A few ladyfish, lots of undersized specks, a couple of big whiting, a few croakers, and six keeper-sized specks all on the speck rigs. Not a bad morning I thought as I headed back to start playing in the surf with my kids. Most of the fisherman have left by 9a.

My son had taken a sabiki rig over to this small little pond and he and my 6 yr old daughter caught a couple of small croaker and a pinfish and had them in a little beach bucket. Two weeks ago I saw a guy catch a 29" speck on a live croaker. I have never fished with live croaker before but there in the bucket was what I have heard is trout candy. So I go and sit in my car, Google search "croaker as bait for speckled trout" and get a 2-minute tutorial on free lining a live croaker. I tie on a hook, ask my son for a croaker, wade to the third cut and cast out the croaker. I stood there, arms outstretched, waiting for something to happen. Nothing. Nada. I look around and see one of other guys slowly reeling his in, slightly popping as if using a plastic. Okay, I'll give it a try. Pop. Reel. Pop Pop. Reel. Ziiiiiiiiinnnnnnng. Off and running and stripping line. I tighten down the drag a bit and it is still pulling. Smack? Shark? Red? After a couple of minutes I reel in what I would estimate as a 20-22" speck. No net. I left it on the beach when I tied on the hook. I reach down and grab it by the back of the head like a pro (which I am far from). I release some line from my reel, unhook and release the fish to swim on for another day. It was a fun catch, but I felt a little guilty about catching it on live croaker. And fortunately, although the fish inhaled the croaker, it was barely hooked deep in its throat and the removal was easier than expected.

The rest of the morning was spent riding waves with my kids.
Crusader

Re: Non-kayaking report from the surf

Post by Crusader »

mwatson71 wrote:I have a custom rig, based on some teachings from a master angler at the pier. Longer leaders than the normal TTF spec rig. Tiny crappie sized plastics, about an inch and a half long and super thin, hooked onto a 1/8 jig head. Light blue bodies on black jig heads.
Looks like what Jean Scurtu used to use... Fishing surf using crappie-size bait is fun -- you cold be getting bites on every cast. I caught my smallest flounder on similar rig. :-)

mwatson71 wrote:My son had taken a sabiki rig over to this small little pond and he and my 6 yr old daughter caught a couple of small croaker and a pinfish and had them in a little beach bucket. Two weeks ago I saw a guy catch a 29" speck on a live croaker. I have never fished with live croaker before but there in the bucket was what I have heard is trout candy. So I go and sit in my car, Google search "croaker as bait for speckled trout" and get a 2-minute tutorial on free lining a live croaker. I tie on a hook, ask my son for a croaker, wade to the third cut and cast out the croaker. I stood there, arms outstretched, waiting for something to happen. Nothing. Nada. I look around and see one of other guys slowly reeling his in, slightly popping as if using a plastic. Okay, I'll give it a try. Pop. Reel. Pop Pop. Reel. Ziiiiiiiiinnnnnnng. Off and running and stripping line. I tighten down the drag a bit and it is still pulling. Smack? Shark? Red? After a couple of minutes I reel in what I would estimate as a 20-22" speck. No net. I left it on the beach when I tied on the hook. I reach down and grab it by the back of the head like a pro (which I am far from). I release some line from my reel, unhook and release the fish to swim on for another day. It was a fun catch, but I felt a little guilty about catching it on live croaker. And fortunately, although the fish inhaled the croaker, it was barely hooked deep in its throat and the removal was easier than expected.
Neat. Yes, soaking croaker is probably the most reliable way to catch these big mature specs that are too smart (and too scattered) to bite your plastic. Need a rattle for better effect.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Great report and congrats on the fish action! It is amazing how much information is so readily available -

So - catching fish and a day at the beach with the kids! Couldn't be better!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice report. I love wade fishing the surf. Nice getting a pompano, that’s one fish I’d like to get. I think small on the lures is often the way to go out in the surf.

I’ve never fished croaker. I like soaking live mullet or menhaden occasionally, but seem immune to buying bait. I sometimes catch croaker on the fly rod, but I think most look too big for free lining. Maybe I should put a seven or nine inch croaker on the bait rod and see what I get. My cousin buys the small croaker and murders the trout on them in the surf. He caught a 30” trout at Surfside this summer free lining croaker.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thank you for the informative and descriptive report, my friend. You did not miss much at Tiki the other night, but it sounds like you had way more action in the surf. I am not a fan of wade fishing in the surf, but kudos to you for getting your rod bent and having some fun with your kids.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

karstopo wrote: I sometimes catch croaker on the fly rod, but I think most look too big for free lining.
The croaker I used was about five inches long. A 20-22" trout had no problem getting it down its throat. I suspect those monster trout would take one much larger.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

shoffer wrote:Thank you for the informative and descriptive report, my friend. You did not miss much at Tiki the other night, but it sounds like you had way more action in the surf. I am not a fan of wade fishing in the surf, but kudos to you for getting your rod bent and having some fun with your kids.
I prefer the tranquility of my kayak over wading the surf as well but I tell my kids I will fish with them anywhere. My son will kayak with me. My six year old daughter, not so much. She rode with me one time in Churchill Bayou and wasn't a huge fan. I'd fish a storm drain with them if they asked.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Good job Mad skillz! :lol:
I bet that speck was fun.

You've inspired me to (spend money) try out some mini blue paddle tails next time I'm out in the surf.

I keep wanting to try out a sabiki rig in the surf and see what happens. good to hear the croakers had no problem being fooled :)

All the fishing I seem to get to do in the summer is surf fish with the family. Not that I'm complaining. I'm hoping come October I get back out on my kayak by myself though ;) Want to see what the fall bait migration is all about...
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

mwatson71 wrote:I know it's not a kayak report but since very little is getting posted lately, I thought I'd post this just to keep the board active.

I took my kids down to the surf on the west end of Galveston on Sunday morning, to the Galveston pocket park right where you can drive onto the beach. We got there around 6:45-7:00a and the surf already had about 10 other guys out waste deep. As I headed into the water, one of the guys yells over to me, "they're real shallow right now!" I nod, give him a thumbs up, and stop at the second cut.

I look around and notice most of them have live bait buckets tethered to them and everybody is hooking up wih frequency. I am throwing soft plastics. I have a custom rig, based on some teachings from a master angler at the pier. Longer leaders than the normal TTF spec rig. Tiny crappie sized plastics, about an inch and a half long and super thin, hooked onto a 1/8 jig head. Light blue bodies on black jig heads. First cast = first fish. A little guy, about ten inches long. After a quick release and straightening of the swim bait, I make another cast and have another hook up. Pompano. First one of the year for me. Release and make another cast. 17" speck. Into the net and a quick walk to the cooler (I don't string fish in the surf - too many sharp-toothed critters). I replace the body of that jig head and head back out.

The rest of the morning played out just like this. Every third cast or so resulted in a bite, catching all sorts of fish. A few ladyfish, lots of undersized specks, a couple of big whiting, a few croakers, and six keeper-sized specks all on the speck rigs. Not a bad morning I thought as I headed back to start playing in the surf with my kids. Most of the fisherman have left by 9a.

My son had taken a sabiki rig over to this small little pond and he and my 6 yr old daughter caught a couple of small croaker and a pinfish and had them in a little beach bucket. Two weeks ago I saw a guy catch a 29" speck on a live croaker. I have never fished with live croaker before but there in the bucket was what I have heard is trout candy. So I go and sit in my car, Google search "croaker as bait for speckled trout" and get a 2-minute tutorial on free lining a live croaker. I tie on a hook, ask my son for a croaker, wade to the third cut and cast out the croaker. I stood there, arms outstretched, waiting for something to happen. Nothing. Nada. I look around and see one of other guys slowly reeling his in, slightly popping as if using a plastic. Okay, I'll give it a try. Pop. Reel. Pop Pop. Reel. Ziiiiiiiiinnnnnnng. Off and running and stripping line. I tighten down the drag a bit and it is still pulling. Smack? Shark? Red? After a couple of minutes I reel in what I would estimate as a 20-22" speck. No net. I left it on the beach when I tied on the hook. I reach down and grab it by the back of the head like a pro (which I am far from). I release some line from my reel, unhook and release the fish to swim on for another day. It was a fun catch, but I felt a little guilty about catching it on live croaker. And fortunately, although the fish inhaled the croaker, it was barely hooked deep in its throat and the removal was easier than expected.

The rest of the morning was spent riding waves with my kids.
Nice report! Would a popping cork soft plastic combo have worked?
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

jgg696 wrote:Nice report! Would a popping cork soft plastic combo have worked?
I suspect it would work if it was the right size and fished at the right depth. Color did not seem to matter too much. I am going to try to go again on Saturday morning with a neighbor and see if we can bring home enough for a little neighborhood fish fry. Not sure yet if it will be a paddling trip or a wade in the surf trip yet. I suspect it will depend on whether there is a need to take children. If we make it out, I will try the popping cork and report back.
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

Thanks! Looking forward to the report.